GWR..ish Castle..ish

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My latest project is an imagined narrow gauge loco inspired by a GWR Castle...!

In the style of the pannier tank I built last summer.
IMG_5495.jpg
IMG_4864 (1).jpg

It's being built on a Bachmann Thomas motor block, largely from Obeche wood (the boiler is a bit of pipe). So far I've made most of the frame of the loco, cut out the cab walls, made the front pony truck, the firebox and started this evening on the boiler.

IMG_6111.jpg
IMG_6112.jpg
Currently the pony truck is articulated only where I've joined it to the motor block - I looked at an old Hornby loco and realised I should also have articulated it at the pony truck too. I guess the prototype is centrally pivoted on a point that can move left and right a bit - and also doesn't need to get round R2 curves! It does seem to run ok on the brief tests I've given it, but if that doesn't prove reliable I'll need to change that.

IMG_6113.jpg
IMG_6114.jpg
Many concessions to my narrow gauge will be made...! I've shaped the front buffer to help with clearances, it will be centre buffer with chain coupling and I'm ignoring the tapered boiler and firebox - so very much inspired by, rather than any sort of scale model, but that's in keeping with my stock. I also think I've gone a bit too big on the firebox and boiler, but generally I'm in favour of keeping on going once committed - and I'm not desperate to remake the firebox and cab front, so I'll plough on and see how it goes!

Eventually it will have sound via a Zimo chip and smoke from a Zimo fan assisted generator (that will be a first for me).

The boiler shows by technique which is basically to have a 2D CAD drawing, which I kind of work on as I go and then print out templates on paper which I then cut around.
The models being created with 3D design and printing shown on here are amazing and really inspirational, maybe one day I'll get into that too. I've got a toddler and I'm limited to building in the evenings, so despite much looking at 3D printers I'm currently sticking to the methods I know as I don't think I'd have the time to learn the printing technique. I did design the chimney, dome and safety valve cover for the pannier and had them printed, so I may well do that again for some detail bits... I do have a vinyl cutter which can cut out wafer thin plasticard - I use that for occasional detail bits like the number plates on the pannier. My current major hankering is for a cheap CNC machine to cut out all the wood sheets - that would be a massive time saver, but I probably need to park that idea along with the 3D printer until I've got a bit more time to learn the techniques. Until then it's me and my trusty scalpel!

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress...

Reactions: 1 users

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The GWR Saints had parallel boilers, so might be a better inspiration? Loving the pannier tank.

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
hi,
I love it when someone builds like this - in the end it looks good and you are happy yourself. I also like to build according to my feeling. Of course it's not scale, but it's fun and in the end it fits visually.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I do like the Pannier Tank, it really looks the part

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think that front bogie will behave better if it has a second pivot on the bogie :nod::nod:

Unless you have very large radii on your railway I think that bogie might misbehave :oops:

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the comments!
Looking at the Saints is a good shout. Mostly I want it to 'look the part' there is a look to all the classic GWR tender locos - I guess I'm after that.
I think the front bogie is going to be a problem, unfortunately my radii are pretty tight R2 with one naughty piece of R1 thrown in... A second articulation point should be straight forward.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The GWR Saints had parallel boilers, so might be a better inspiration? Loving the pannier tank.
With respect I'm pretty sure the Saints had a fair variety of boilers most of which had a least one tapered cone. If you have a specific look in mind I respectfully suggest you take a look at the variety of images on the internet or elsewhere.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
With respect I'm pretty sure the Saints had a fair variety of boilers most of which had a least one tapered cone. If you have a specific look in mind I respectfully suggest you take a look at the variety of images on the internet or elsewhere.
Yes, I think only the first Saint had a parallel boiler, and only for a while. They all received cone boilers from what I’ve read.

Interesting build and the pannier is great.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting take on things,NG Pannier and Castle,,,,,,,,well why not ,the GWR ran narrow gauge didn`t they,smart builds by the way.;);)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, they were compelled to run Stephenson gauge ... :p
Yes Chris,fom the broad gauge to standard gauge in the 1890`s or there abouts but I meant the narrow gauge lines by the GWR in Wales,no doubt someone will know on here for sure and risking a thread drift will let us know?;););)I maybe wrong but at least one of the NG lines passed into British Railways ownership and still ran steam and now a preserved line?pic is GWR loco from mid 20`s I think.I am not well informed on British NG as you can tell!!!IMG_20210220_200033.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Chris,fom the broad gauge to standard gauge in the 1890`s or there abouts but I meant the narrow gauge lines by the GWR in Wales,no doubt someone will know on here for sure and risking a thread drift will let us know?;););)I maybe wrong but at least one of the NG lines passed into British Railways ownership and still ran steam and now a preserved line?pic is GWR loco from mid 20`s I think.I am not well informed on British NG as you can tell!!!View attachment 281009
Vale of Rheidol - 2ft (well 60 cms, 1ft - 11 3/4 ins ;) ) ................ I think

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, they were compelled to run Stephenson gauge ... :p
He he, no, they saw sense :devil::devil:

While Brunel's vision may have been inspired, the epithet of 'standard gauge' for 4ft - 8 1/2 ins says it all ;);)

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, Chris, from the broad gauge to standard gauge in the 1890s or thereabouts but I meant the narrow gauge lines by the GWR in Wales ...
I know ;) . The GW inherited the Vale of Rheidol, the Welshpool & Llanfair and the Corris
He he, no, they saw sense :devil::devil:
While Brunel's vision may have been inspired, the epithet of 'standard gauge' for 4ft - 8 1/2 ins says it all ;);)
As I said, compelled, as in they recognized they had no option but to diminish their gauge.
Even Brunel recognized "standard" gauge as more practicable in the Welsh Valleys.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, the VOR was transferred from the GWR to BR which continued to run it and its steam locos until the late 80's - in horrific BR Blue!

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Continued work on the narrow gauge (rivet counters beware...!) Castle today. Decided to get the shape of the tender done to see how the proportions of the loco are looking. The tender helps I think.

IMG_6127.jpgIMG_6126.jpg

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting take on things,NG Pannier and Castle,,,,,,,,well why not ,the GWR ran narrow gauge didn`t they,smart builds by the way.;);)
'Why not' is exactly my attitude! Narrow gauge with shorter trains and tighter curves suits my line, but I also like the GWR vibe, so I mix it all together...! The Castle will also join a Railcar and an AutoTrailer - which were perhaps more sensible builds!IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4520.jpg

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Chris,fom the broad gauge to standard gauge in the 1890`s or there abouts but I meant the narrow gauge lines by the GWR in Wales,no doubt someone will know on here for sure and risking a thread drift will let us know?;););)I maybe wrong but at least one of the NG lines passed into British Railways ownership and still ran steam and now a preserved line?pic is GWR loco from mid 20`s I think.I am not well informed on British NG as you can tell!!!View attachment 281009
I'd love to build one of these (to scale..!), I've got a pair of Brandbright VOR coaches, but the rods - yikes!

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
'Why not' is exactly my attitude! Narrow gauge with shorter trains and tighter curves suits my line, but I also like the GWR vibe, so I mix it all together...! The Castle will also join a Railcar and an AutoTrailer - which were perhaps more sensible builds!
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp ... :rock:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I know ;) . The GW inherited the Vale of Rheidol, the Welshpool & Llanfair and the Corris

As I said, compelled, as in they recognized they had no option but to diminish their gauge.
Even Brunel recognized "standard" gauge as more practicable in the Welsh Valleys.
Thanks Chris,It`s true,you learn something new every day!!!!!!!!;);)