Garden lights

BarmyAndy

Registered
21 Mar 2011
Best answers
e4b63aeb52df40c4b7398a6438abe431.jpg
Hello, once again. I have been a member then had a break and now i am back.:D

I have on my outdoor railway a set of minature street lamps powered from the mains. They no longer work and for the life of me i can not find a replacement set. Does anyone here remember them and know where i can get another set?

I suppose you will want a picture so i will try and get one asap.

I look forward to your help:clap:

Andy

Here is a picture

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think that they are unavailable now? I was lucky enough to buy a second hand set and some of those have since failed around the middle of the string, possibly due to a wiring fault.

If all yours have stopped working, it might be because the power supply has failed. If you have access to a multimeter, then you could check the output voltage. If it has no output, you may be able to find a similar power supply at a Maplins store....

BarmyAndy

Registered
21 Mar 2011
Best answers
knowing my luck then yes they will be unavailable now. The power supply is working fine. Just going to be an tedious tas of trying to find the fault. Plus some of the "heads" have gone missing over the winter. Oh well we shall see

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I understand from Miamigo ( who I brought mine from ) that there are 3 rows of lights on these sets, so if you have a third of them missing, at the beginning, middle or end of the string, then you probably have a cable fault in that area Andy.

If you do repair them, then post the fix on this thread....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
After being in for quite a few years my lights seem to fail quite often. They have been broken down into sets of 5 so its quite easy to find the problem. The main cause of failure in the wire ends of the LEDs rust off. The only solution is to change the faulty LED for a new one. Thankfully I bought several sets when they were available so have spares.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I was aghast at the prices some of these lights cost retail so as I know I will need quite a few I made my own, well making my own... 12Volt prewired LEDs from China AU$3.85 for 20 from HK, brass tube and some nifty casting resin gave me this result. They are actually brunswick green not black.... amortising the cost of these but not including my labour they cost me around au$5 ea.... similar retail at least au $20ea.... Now if I was doing this again and I may make more I'd use warm white leds like these: cheaper than chips!!! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warm-White-P...415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa1855a7
I could provide complete instructions if needed but you do need a lathe and if you want Hexagonal lenses then a mill is handy. I'm also thinking that some of these accesories I'm making I could supply complete to help fund the costs of building my tramway.....
The real catch with ANY wiring that is exposed to the elements is to make sure its waterproof.... I intend to solder all my joints and then coat with liquid electrical tape viz: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PERFORMIX-LI...AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51927905a5
a tad expensive but what it saves in fault finding later on it's worth every penny. I would never use incandescent globes ever ever again.....
Interesting comments that was made by a previous correspondent re the led leads "rusting" off. I may assume that it was actually copper leads but the moisture gets into things and then current is applied and you have disaster on your doorstep, a micro electroplating setup in your streetlights that will soon cause failure....

493be37a3be04d0fa66ee2fb812ce61b.jpg
2a5b1233a44e4ef48bfadb2dc03ab2e6.jpg
12fa56e6078d4914a0852ba367acb937.jpg

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
BarmyAndy said:
Does anyone here remember them and know where i can get another set?
Still Available on Ebay, Andy. (not that I have bought any from this seller myself)
I just searched Mini Lamppost Garden Lights (note the douple p)
There are two sets both on Auction, £16.99 & £9.99 (at the mo)

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Round n Round said:
BarmyAndy said:
Still Available on Ebay, Andy. (not that I have bought any from this seller myself)

Weird? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Solar-Power-...935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f6d7c5f Ebay strikes again... when I enter that exact as cut and pasted search I only get these solar path lights.....

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi barmyandy .nice to meet:D u so i was supposed to get the sets like yr but i ave a idea tht i have small solar light for my layout on usa car park:clap:!
it from wilkoson for 70p each.. useful and save electric but needed charge up in the sun to give power and then it go on in dark time..then off in day;)!
i know it sound silly but i likes it...lol
u can take the top off and put inside the small building if needed..why not?
p.s.wishes i have like the lamp u got but need solar on it?why not?

from BROOKFIELD FIR TREES RAILROADING.:clap::clap:

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
tramcar trev said:
Weird? Ebay strikes again... when I enter that exact as cut and pasted search I only get these solar path lights.....
Try ebay UK :D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
dutchelm said:
After being in for quite a few years my lights seem to fail quite often. They have been broken down into sets of 5 so its quite easy to find the problem. The main cause of failure in the wire ends of the LEDs rust off. The only solution is to change the faulty LED for a new one. Thankfully I bought several sets when they were available so have spares.

Would you happen to know what type and ref number the LEDs are Mike please?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
would you happen to know what type and ref number the LEDs are Mike please?
I have not used any other LEDs apart from the ones that come with the light sets. I expect they were made for the job but I would imagine any yellow LED will do. I will try one & see.

BarmyAndy

Registered
21 Mar 2011
Best answers
Thans for your help guys. Maing your own does sound appealing (cost) but i dont have the equipment to mae them.

I will try and repair the lights myself this weeend. If not then i will probably just get rid of them and come up with another idea

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
BarmyAndy said:
Thans for your help guys. Maing your own does sound appealing (cost) but i dont have the equipment to mae them.

I will try and repair the lights myself this weeend. If not then i will probably just get rid of them and come up with another idea
hi mate..hope u will sort it out so pm me if u are able to rid of them,,thks.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I tried a standard 5mm yellow LED & it works fine as a replacement. Its rather long so a low profile LED would be better. You just need to watch the polarities when fitting.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Round n Round said:
BarmyAndy said:
Here's the linky....

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_...ppost+Garden+Lights&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Hmmm... yes Ebay UK ok.... AND did you notice the top ones on offer are infact LBG, yes thats right LBG..... :clap::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
BarmyAndy said:

Hey Barmy I sent you a pm.....

BarmyAndy

Registered
21 Mar 2011
Best answers
Well having a look over the weekend it seems that most of the lights have infact got rusted connections.

Got 10 woring and the remaining have been cut off and are going to be rewired in series (or is it paralell) so that in the future if one light goes off then the others will still work.

Thanks again for all your help

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Please note LEDs are current operated. They are designed to be connected in series via the series resistor in the first light which is calculated to be suitable for the complete circuit. If they are wired in parallel they will need series resistors calculated for the voltage they are connected across.