G Scale Tram Project

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's called a Barry Slip, they weren't common but their were quite a few around the uk, although I'm not aware of any in Scotland so a little difficult to justify for a Scottish distillery layout.
There's a prototype for everything, TBH there's probably many a slip around Scottish distilleries,

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Things are progressing slowly with the now double track left hand corner board and before I start cutting wood for the straight section I thought I'd give some thought to the right hand corner board.

I'm still not entirely sure this is what I'll build but its the start of some grey cell murmurings, I want something to go in the corner which better uses the corner space, I don't really know what I want.

Curves will all be 700mm radius, the straight will be at roughly 45⁰ and approx 500mm long, the single turnout I already have a design for.

BUT I'm not sure if this is what I want or something different, so I thought I'd share my sketch and see what other ideas folk might have, it needs to be fairly simple, not too big and has a running track that goes through 90⁰. This is not a layout (well not yet) it's an indoor test track, and I am forbidden from making any holes in any walls regardless as to whether they are internal or external walls.

Life could be worse with big things to worry about, but this is my conundrum this week, or just noo anyhoo.

David

Attachments

• 20210824_110020.jpg
    20210824_110020.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Things are progressing slowly with the now double track left hand corner board and before I start cutting wood for the straight section I thought I'd give some thought to the right hand corner board.

I'm still not entirely sure this is what I'll build but its the start of some grey cell murmurings, I want something to go in the corner which better uses the corner space, I don't really know what I want.

Curves will all be 700mm radius, the straight will be at roughly 45⁰ and approx 500mm long, the single turnout I already have a design for.

BUT I'm not sure if this is what I want or something different, so I thought I'd share my sketch and see what other ideas folk might have, it needs to be fairly simple, not too big and has a running track that goes through 90⁰. This is not a layout (well not yet) it's an indoor test track, and I am forbidden from making any holes in any walls regardless as to whether they are internal or external walls.

Life could be worse with big things to worry about, but this is my conundrum this week, or just noo anyhoo.

David
How about a small Tram Depot? Even if you do not have much length a false front with opening can give the feeling with a couple of lines or so at the front. This is not how mine looks now, has been rebuilt with Plastic Coated Foamboard and described somewhere In here. Tis only around 3 inches deep but painted black inside so that minimum depth is never really apparent.
9FAF28A7-6D01-448E-9A8E-25022468C395.jpeg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if my wife would notice just a wee horizontal extension

David

Attachments

• IMG-20210530-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210530-WA0000.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if my wife would notice just a wee horizontal extension

David
This is such a good idea. As long as you can still reach your arm in, I see no issues whatsoever. Surely allowed under permitted development.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
How do others bend 6mm ply for curved sections of a baseboard edge?

I am doubtful that steaming over a pot of boiling water will work so I am trialling a, let's soak it and put weights on the wood, I need a radius of approx 630mm, and only bent for 2/3 of its length, fingers crossed.

David

Attachments

• 20210824_222621.jpg
    20210824_222621.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How do others bend 6mm ply for curved sections of a baseboard edge?

I am doubtful that steaming over a pot of boiling water will work so I am trialling a, let's soak it and put weights on the wood, I need a radius of approx 630mm, and only bent for 2/3 of its length, fingers crossed.

David
You can buy "bendy" plywood, basically it has grooves cut along one face to aid bending.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
You can buy "bendy" plywood, basically it has grooves cut along one face to aid bending.

Jimmy,

Isn't buying bendy wood cheating ;-)

Because the face needs to be curved and because it needs a recess for the top board to sit in I am using two pieces of 6mm ply.
Unfortunately if I use bendy wood with grooves it'll make screwing the two faces together troublesome.

It also gives my wife something to tell her pals, "look what that daft apeth is up to now".
And I have the satisfaction of knowing I've overcome another challenge, but mostly it gives my wife something to shake her head about he he :)

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
That's the first board built, hopefully I won't have the warping g problems I've had once before, I'm fairly confident theres enough screws holding the whole lot together.

And a photo of the corner board in place ready for some track laying.
One happy modeller am I :)

David

Attachments

• 20210831_193724.jpg
    20210831_193724.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210831_193848.jpg
    20210831_193848.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's the first board built, hopefully I won't have the warping g problems I've had once before, I'm fairly confident theres enough screws holding the whole lot together.

And a photo of the corner board in place ready for some track laying.
One happy modeller am I :)

David
Again too late but a couple of extra cross supports may have helped probably 2 in the centre and perhaps 3 to the curved bit. Pobably still be possible to do later, cut out mark where they will go, drill for small veneer pins (done from above) then glue and pin in place.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Again too late but a couple of extra cross supports may have helped probably 2 in the centre and perhaps 3 to the curved bit. Pobably still be possible to do later, cut out mark where they will go, drill for small veneer pins (done from above) then glue and pin in place.
It's never to late to add bracing and trust me I know the cost of a board warping. I previously had a baseboard for a 7mm scale project with some scratch built complex track work built and fixed down, I started getting derailments and noticed too later that the board had warped between the frame structure, it had been built in exactly the same way as other boards over the years, no one could understand why the problem had occurred but I nearly cried, and that experience is definitely not something I ever want to repeat.

I have a couple of new track plan sheets to glue down to make this board double track around the corner, but once that's done a couple more braces will be fitted, thanks.

David

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy,

Isn't buying bendy wood cheating ;-)

Because the face needs to be curved and because it needs a recess for the top board to sit in I am using two pieces of 6mm ply.
Unfortunately if I use bendy wood with grooves it'll make screwing the two faces together troublesome.

It also gives my wife something to tell her pals, "look what that daft apeth is up to now".
And I have the satisfaction of knowing I've overcome another challenge, but mostly it gives my wife something to shake her head about he he :)

David
Flexi ply doesn't have grooves in it. The two outer layers are made from quick-grown timber which has quite a coarse grain, while the middle ply is thin and flexible. It takes glue well and can be laminated easily, and you can always add veneers (or 0.8mm ply) to the outside if you need a better finish. Flexi MDF does have grooves in it, but can be used in much the same way.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Flexi ply doesn't have grooves in it. The two outer layers are made from quick-grown timber which has quite a coarse grain, while the middle ply is thin and flexible. It takes glue well and can be laminated easily, and you can always add veneers (or 0.8mm ply) to the outside if you need a better finish. Flexi MDF does have grooves in it, but can be used in much the same way.
I wasn't aware of flexi ply as you describe, I've only ever seen the stuff with groves, ever day is a school day.

David

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I wasn't aware of flexi ply as you describe, I've only ever seen the stuff with groves, ever day is a school day.

David
There is bendy ply and flexi ply, one with grooves one without :)

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Finally I have a tram sat on some track on the test track, not a long length but a start, one very happy modeller.

David

Attachments

• 20210903_223928.jpg
    20210903_223928.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can I seriously suggest a stop-block? - Even though this is a temporary arrangement..
Don't ask how I know this is a good idea! :(:oops::nod::nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Can I seriously suggest a stop-block? - Even though this is a temporary arrangement..
Don't ask how I know this is a good idea! :(:oops::nod::nod:
Yes a small flat of wood temporarily screwed in place would work nicely.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Don't worry, before any test running a wee piece of ply was screwed to the one end of the board.
No progress today because I was out visiting a 16mm garden line with a large variety of stock running, and some ideas to interest the grey cells.

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of a rhetorical question really, sort of.

Do many folk scratch build there own track?
I can normally fabricate all the rails for a 7mm scale turnout in one evening; working with the larger mass of peco code 200 rail its taking me one evening to profile what is effectively a switch rail just over 200mm long, do others have any clever ways to profile a long switch rail in less than 4-5 hours, crossing noses are quite quick but this long switch is taking some time.
I am serious contemplating code 124 rail for any future S&C work, it'll be buried anyhow so wont matter too much.

Updates on progress could take a wee while at my present rate.

Short video of a test run, progress is still progress after all.

David