G Scale Level Crossing

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Does anyone know if these are available or made by anyone other than POLA? I have seen the pola ones but they seem a bit on the expensive side.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Try Stockers who is a member on this form - he is Pendlebury Models

A

Alec K

I know this is turning the clock back a very long way, but Railway Modeller for November 1978 carried an excellent article by Rob Ormiston-Chant of LSWR level crossing gates on the New Forest lines. More to the point the article included a scale drawing of the standard LSWR pattern gate, at the odd scale it has to be said of 9/16ths of an inch to the foot (or 11mm to the foot). I've constructed a pair of gates from this drawing to 13mm:1 foot scale, using basswood strip and section, with ironwork cut from sardine tins, track pins to represent coach bolts and bent wire for hinges. A picture of the result, prior to painting, is attached, hopefully, anyway, as I haven't quite grasped the process yet. It was a project that was cheap on materials, but exacting on the eyes.

ddd78113c63b47f7ae3ee4fc0915ea0c.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure I saw one of these at a swap meet in Bressingham a couple of years ago.

It looked very fragile; in fact the barriers had snapped off, so it was quite cheap.

I resisted the temptation as I didn't think it would be rugged enough for outdoor use....

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
ahh my stuff has to be rugged, as we have a lot of animals coming here in the night, foxes, hedgehogs and countless cats... back to the drawing board

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Alec K said:
I know this is turning the clock back a very long way, but Railway Modeller for November 1978 carried an excellent article by Rob Ormiston-Chant of LSWR level crossing gates on the New Forest lines. More to the point the article included a scale drawing of the standard LSWR pattern gate, at the odd scale it has to be said of 9/16ths of an inch to the foot (or 11mm to the foot). I've constructed a pair of gates from this drawing to 13mm:1 foot scale, using basswood strip and section, with ironwork cut from sardine tins, track pins to represent coach bolts and bent wire for hinges. A picture of the result, prior to painting, is attached, hopefully, anyway, as I haven't quite grasped the process yet. It was a project that was cheap on materials, but exacting on the eyes.

images

Blooming Brilliant , like them loads :clap: