G scale - Belgium - SNCV vicinal trailers

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

I have made drawings for 4 SNCV vicinal trailers. the four kits are delivered.
Two kits are nearly complete and wait just for some final decorative details.

- early 1890 type with 6 equal square windows, second class
- 1900 type with 6 equal bowed windows, second class
- 1890 type with non equal bowed windows, first and second class
- luggage van

The truck and grids are in laser cut metal (UK supplier).
The body in laser cut plywood (French supplier)
Windows in acryl (laser cut) The springs are either brass or white metal (some old stock used)
Axle boxes in brass: I have 3D printed a model and have ordered 40 castings (I am planning 4 or 5 trailers, 4 or 5 wagons and a motorcar with these axle boxes)
The chimneys will be 3D printed.

See http://www.tramania.net/albumModeleFourgon/index.html
and
http://www.tramania.net/albumModele6BV/index.html

I have ordered water decals for both cars (SNCV coat of arms and fleet numbers)

Regards, Philippe

1) Luggage van

52401.jpg

2) 1900 type with 6 equal bowed windows, second class

52547.jpg
52550.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, do you intend to Market them? If so how much? Might be interested in one of each.
JonD

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Excellent - beautifully done.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
C’est magnifique - très bon!

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, do you intend to Market them? If so how much? Might be interested in one of each.
JonD

Dear Dunny rail,

I considered this. I made some publicity in Belgium, but no real success. (HOm seems to reign over there)

For a limited run, say of 10, I would have to charge around 180 EUR + P&P for a complete car (including wheels)

The challenge would be still to find 9 other candidates. (it could be a mix and match of the 4 different models)

Regards, Philippe

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Dear Dunny rail,

I considered this. I made some publicity in Belgium, but no real success. (HOm seems to reign over there)

For a limited run, say of 10, I would have to charge around 180 EUR + P&P for a complete car (including wheels)

The challenge would be still to find 9 other candidates. (it could be a mix and match of the 4 different models)

Regards, Philippe
Philippe,
I would be in for 3 cars, a brake, a second and a 1st/2nd. Only 7 mire to find now!
JonD

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear Jon,

I was not expecting such a quick reaction.

Give me some time to think about it. Costs were evaluated in 2016, so I need to check my suppliers and confirm/adjust prices if need be.

I will have a look at the advertisement section of this forum. No clue also whether there are other G-scale tram forums or other places where some publicity might help to get 10 pieces. Any help ???

Note: I am planning myself to test a 5th design (6 windows in groups of 2), so we would at 4 orders out of the 10 required.

Note 1: once this amount of 10 is reached, I guess we should think of about 3 months delay for delivery (after payments, final drawing checks, offers, orders, production, gathering the bits and pieces in one set per customer, shipment, etc)

Regards, Philippe

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Philippe, please write me down for two of these beautiful cars.

Firstly, a baggage car. I'd turn this into a Railway Post Office car. A specific mail car could probably be made, but the baggage car would make me equally happy. Here in The Netherlands, baggage cars were sometimes used for the purpose.

Secondly, a passenger car, and I don't know yet which one. I am curious about the grouped-in-two window arrangement you mention.

Greetings from Jasper

Last edited:

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

It seems that there are more G scale lovers in the UK and Netherlands than in Belgium.
So, with Jasper, we would be at 6 cars to produce out of the 10 required.

Based on the advise of Dunnyrail, I have contacted the TLRS. TLRS will mention the project.
Links will be made to www.tramania.com , were all details about this project will be posted centrally.
The project aims to cover costs, not to make profit.
In case of benefits, they will go to the restauration of SNCV trailer A.1584
See http://www.tramania.net/albumRestaurationFR/index.html

I need some time to make a leaflet, documentation and launch formally the process a pre-orders.
First high level planning:
June: preparation work
July 1rst: prices confirmation, full details available, wide publicity and formal start of orders
September: close of order process, payments
October: orders to various suppliers
December: sets of bits and pieces are boxed, shipment of orders

Regards, Philippe

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dearr all,

at the request of Jasper, click on the file in attachment to see a CAD drawing of the various cars.
The drawing shows the pieces of wood to be cut with a laser.

Blue colour = external pieces
Red = internal pieces

From left to right, you will see :
- the luggage van,
- in the middle 2 asymetric sides of the 1rst+2nd class,
- then on the top, the 6 bowed windows in groups of 2, below 6 equal bowed windows,
- then 6 square windows of a trailer
- then 6 square windows of a North motorcar.

Note: many internal pieces are not shown, like seats and other bits and pieces.

Regards, Philippe

Attachments

• SNCV trailers.jpg
    SNCV trailers.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

Regarding a potential production, with Jasper, we would be at 6 out of 10 to start a production.

I have got the agreement with TLRS to publish a link towards www.tramania.com were all details of the project, ordering process, news, etc will be published.
The aim is to cover costs.
In case of benefits, they will be donated to the restoration of SNCV trailer A.1584
see http://www.tramania.net/albumRestaurationFR/index.html

High level planning:
June: To produce documentation, contact suppliers and determine final price, design order forms, etc
July: Start of publicity - orders can be made
September: close of orders. Payments to be completed.
October: Orders to suppliers
December: sets of pieces are grouped and boxed. Shipments.

Regards, Philippe

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear Jasper,

If you are still interested, please go to http://www.tramania.com section "Models"

The tramfan club TRAMANIA has decided to support this project and launch a subscription (onderintekening) for these cars.

You will find all technical information and well as payment terms, etc

Regards, Philippe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippe, please write me down for two of these beautoful cars.

Firstly, a baggage car. I'd turn this into a Railway Post Office car. A specific mail car could probably be made, but the baggage car would make me equally happy. Here in The Netherlands, baggage cars were sometimes used for the purpose.

Secondly, a passenger car, and I don't know yet which one. I am curious about the grouped-in-two window arrangement you mention.

Greetings from Jasper

Philippe, please write me down for two of these beautoful cars.

Greetings from Jasper

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear Jon,

Dear Jasper,

If you are still interested, please go to http://www.tramania.com section "Models"

The tramfan club TRAMANIA has decided to support this project and launch a subscription for these cars.

You will find there all technical information and well as payment terms, etc

Regards, Philippe

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Jon,

I was not expecting such a quick reaction.

Give me some time to think about it. Costs were evaluated in 2016, so I need to check my suppliers and confirm/adjust prices if need be.

I will have a look at the advertisement section of this forum. No clue also whether there are other G-scale tram forums or other places where some publicity might help to get 10 pieces. Any help ???

Note: I am planning myself to test a 5th design (6 windows in groups of 2), so we would at 4 orders out of the 10 required.

Note 1: once this amount of 10 is reached, I guess we should think of about 3 months delay for delivery (after payments, final drawing checks, offers, orders, production, gathering the bits and pieces in one set per customer, shipment, etc)

Regards, Philippe

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I see someone has brought out a book about modelling the Belgian vicinal, I suspect that will have generated a bit more interest.

Personally I am still getting my head around all things narrow gauge that run 45mm gauge track.
I can feel my bank balance getting drained having found this thread.

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
And here is an internet report how Belgium trams are made in G scale.

Autorail-Straßenbahnen der SNCV

Sorry it is written in German, but with many photos.
Please don't apologise for a link not being in the english language, especially with modern technology.
I have found I can translate most web sites using a simple translate function, thanks for the link.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Please don't apologise for a link not being in the english language, especially with modern technology.
I have found I can translate most web sites using a simple translate function, thanks for the link.
Agreed that is a very well worthwhile link for Vicinal proponents. I was however surprised at the luxurious seating a side the AR, in my memory the ones I traveled in at Grottes de Hanns were much more basic.