Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
That strikes a chord.
In the chemistry lab many eons ago to liven things up we used to spread orange crystals - potassium chlorate it think it was - on the floor and as the chemistry master walked around pontificating they exploded each time he trod on them.
Highly amusing to a class of 15yr olds.
Of course he rumbled us.
I've been known to spread some on the door handles! Purple smoke (Haze?):rofl: in my case Nitogen Triiodide if I recall.
[h1]Not the wisest move to use the science labs as form rooms for the lower sixth. :rofl:[/h1]

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:
That strikes a chord.
In the chemistry lab many eons ago to liven things up we used to spread orange crystals - potassium chlorate it think it was - on the floor and as the chemistry master walked around pontificating they exploded each time he trod on them.
Highly amusing to a class of 15yr olds.
Of course he rumbled us.
I've been known to spread some on the door handles! Purple smoke (Haze?):rofl: in my case Nitogen Triiodide if I recall.
[h1]Not the wisest move to use the science labs as form rooms for the lower sixth. :rofl:[/h1]
The First formers trick was to wait until an experiment using bunsen burners was at a critical stage and to turn yours on and blow down it. Result - all the burners in the room went down and the experiment had to be re-done.
Funnily enough I enjoyed chemistry..... It was my best subject.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Can't say I've seen that Triang gizmo before but it does look like something that could be replicated to be reliable and safe with readily available materials.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
DaveB2 said:
Can't say I've seen that Triang gizmo before but it does look like something that could be replicated to be reliable and safe with readily available materials.
Even a mouse trap (hidden within a lineside building) would work quite well. And given how loud the thwack is from one of them you probably wouldn't even need caps. You could have it triggered by a length of fishing line from a mechanism operated from the weight of the train.

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Even a mouse trap (hidden within a lineside building) would work quite well. And given how loud the thwack is from one of them you probably wouldn't even need caps. You could have it triggered by a length of fishing line from a mechanism operated from the weight of the train.
And going right back to the original idea I seem to recal some little stunt many years back involving a mouse trap with a hole drilled in it and a .22 blank .....:-
Best not to go there though.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
DaveB2 said:
nicebutdim said:
And going right back to the original idea I seem to recal some little stunt many years back involving a mouse trap with a hole drilled in it and a .22 blank .....:-
Best not to go there though.
I need to build one of those!!!!!!!!!! .22 short would be perfect...............................

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
A friend of mine was bushwalking with some friends and a dog in the Brindabellas and the dog ran off to explore ( as dogs do) and there was a gunshot... All hands ran towards where the sound came from and found the dog laying bleeding on the ground.... Even though they should not have had the dog there they called all and sundry and it was discovered that the dog had tripped a rat trap with a hole and a shotgun cartridge in it with a trip wire that triggered it, A large plantation of a controlled weed was found in the area along with dozens of other booby traps. The dog had 4 pellets taken from its front leg and survived and when he goes walking he now walks 3mm from his owners legs :thumbdown:

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
adeshers said:
When the last 504 EMU left Manchester Piccadilly for Hadfield, prior to renewing the 1500V DC OLE to 25KV AC the nearside rail at the end of platform 1 was covered with dets.

It were a good 'send off'. :clap: :clap: ;) ;)

Ah yes, the same deed was done when the last train left South Shields, before conversion to the Metro. As it happens, the track went right past what then was the nick - a lot of bobbies came tumbling out of the door thinking they were under terrorist attack....:rofl: There were so many dets down it's a wonder the poor Met-Cam DMU didn't get blown over!:D:D

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers
New Haven Neil 2 said:
adeshers said:
When the last 504 EMU left Manchester Piccadilly for Hadfield, prior to renewing the 1500V DC OLE to 25KV AC the nearside rail at the end of platform 1 was covered with dets.

:D:D I was there too, Magic, would get shot for that these days, well probably not seeing as how they banned guns too. Were there not some at the other end too? Can you remember what year it was and do you have piccys? I wasn't that old at the time.

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
adeshers said:

netty said:
:D:D I was there too, Magic, would get shot for that these days, well probably not seeing as how they banned guns too. Were there not some at the other end too? Can you remember what year it was and do you have piccys? I wasn't that old at the time.

If memory serves right it was 1984. I was traffic manager at Guide Bridge at the time. No piccies I'm afraid. Not sure if there were any dets laid at Hadfield or Gloosop. I can't recall being told at the time. I was in the cab from Piccadilly but got off at Guide Bridge for shift changeover. The dets at Piccadilly were all out of date and being 'returned' for disposal :D

I think it was early evening during the autumn. I know I spent many a 'happy' hour transferring passengers at a temporary station set up at Hyde Jn to transfer passengers off the 'main line' onto either buses for Glossop/Hadfield or DMU for the Hyde loop line whilst re-wiring was taking place further up towards Dinting.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Trev :D