G gauge detonators....

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Im wondering if working G scale dets could be made from .22 rifle amunition?? Im talking about just the brass cartridge, turn the ends off in a lathe leaving little round disks...

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You can get .22 blanks for starting pistols without a licence. They are based on the rim fire principle - the fulminate (the bit that starts the bang) is trapped in the rim of the case and is squashed by the hammer (firing mechanism). This causes it to explode.
Three problems with making a detonator.
1. It needs quite a bit of pressure to detonate, far more then the weight of our locos
2. The blank will just burn with minimal noise unless it is constrained by a barrel or similar.
3. As Michael Cane said - your only meant to blow the blinking doors off - you might get more than you expected.

Link to pic of blank - NOTE; Picture shows ammunition!!!
http://www.countrysupplies.com/item...2+(6mm)+Crimped++Blanks+For+Starting+Revolver

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
You can get .22 blanks for starting pistols without a licence. They are based on the rim fire principle - the fulminate (the bit that starts the bang) is trapped in the rim of the case and is squashed by the hammer (firing mechanism). This causes it to explode.
Three problems with making a detonator.
1. It needs quite a bit of pressure to detonate, far more then the weight of our locos
2. The blank will just burn with minimal noise unless it is constrained by a barrel or similar.
3. As Michael Cane said - your only meant to blow the blinking doors off - you might get more than you expected.

Link to pic of blank - NOTE; Picture shows ammunition!!!
http://www.countrysupplies.com/item...2+(6mm)+Crimped++Blanks+For+Starting+Revolver
We used to use something similar for scaring the bejabours out of new recruits in simulated explosive atmospheres. You could rig it up to work like the old Triang OO fog hut. A passing train could set off the trigger which would explode the blank hidden inside a lineside building.

This might sound silly, but it would certainly clear your railway of pigeons. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
This might sound silly, but it would certainly clear your railway of pigeons. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
OK if you wish to go into guano production!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
What about the old paper caps we used to get?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Do they still make them? I would have thought some 'elf' would have banned them by now (which would be a shame).

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
:D:D
stockers said:
Do they still make them? I would have thought some 'elf' would have banned them by now (which would be a shame).

I am not sure but its got me thinking it could be worth a look in the shop and try:D:D:D

I always remember setting fire to a whole roll and expecting some sombe like effect only to be greated big a woosh and flash and not much else.

Now for effect get some old non saftety matches and scrape of the pink stuff in to a nut on the end of a bolt, when nearly full gently and i mean gently insert another bolt until its just finger tight then throw it at something hard but make shure you are not in the line of fire.

Do not try this near a glass house:D:D

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Used to play that nut and bolt game as kids with Swan Vestas. Great fun - and we survived.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Think i was about nine when we played it....

It just got a bit serious when we threw them at each other but we survived!!!!!!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon a track contact connected to a cheap MP3 player would be the best way to simulate track detonators....

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but not as much fun!:D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
J2s said:
When I was a shunter I used to destroy any out of date dets that I found on brakevans etc. by setting them down on the rails close together and gettin a driver to run em over. I think the most I did at once was 20.
Whe I was Traffic Manager in Kilmarnock we were supposed to remove out of date dets and take them to Irvine CCE depot, where - according to rumour - they were simply chucked into the sea! I found it more entertaining to take them to a remote signalbox called Barony Junction and get the NCB shunter to run over them. Yes I know, little things..... :D

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
When the last 504 EMU left Manchester Piccadilly for Hadfield, prior to renewing the 1500V DC OLE to 25KV AC the nearside rail at the end of platform 1 was covered with dets.

It were a good 'send off'. :clap: :clap: ;) ;)

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Det disposal was done by lining them up on a siding until they got carried away and lined up 100, then the army took them and blew them up until that was banned, (how that was too dangerous I'm not sure!)
So a few years back they arranged to clear out old stocks with an approved contractor who was expecting uo to a couple of hundred at each location . . . . . . he was a little suprised to find 1500! One of the rare occasions that a vague contract worked in favour of the railway!

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
I haven't seen the "paper rolls", but you can certainly still get red plastic "rings" of caps - they'd need cutting and trimming, but they might work.

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Plenty of toy gun caps listed on Amazon.
Problem being that you have to be 18 to buy them. I'm a bit too young then!
We have the same problem with selling Christmas Crackers at work.

I do remember working with my brother with one of those little metal planes with the 2 bits held by elastic bands and loading as many caps as possible to make either the biggest bang or fire. Great days.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
That strikes a chord.
In the chemistry lab many eons ago to liven things up we used to spread orange crystals - potassium chlorate it think it was - on the floor and as the chemistry master walked around pontificating they exploded each time he trod on them.
Highly amusing to a class of 15yr olds.
Of course he rumbled us.
Result? Detention. :wave:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
That strikes a chord.
In the chemistry lab many eons ago to liven things up we used to spread orange crystals - potassium chlorate it think it was - on the floor and as the chemistry master walked around pontificating they exploded each time he trod on them.
Highly amusing to a class of 15yr olds.
Of course he rumbled us.
Result? Detention. :wave:
Great fun to put a hand full of it around an ant's nest too .............. or so I've been told. :D:D