dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Work in the last day or so has been concentrating on final details before the Roof goes on. Buffers have been created from left over Playmobil Housings off vehicles that were removed when creating a Centre Buffer, some odd bits of Round Plastic and some LGB RHB/DR Style buffer heads. The basics of construction can be seen below.
E5B19A9C-5323-426E-A7B5-76768D77A3AB.jpeg
I had been pondering the smaller Rivets required for the U Shaped Strapping, I tried with smaller Plastic Strip but the heads were so small that Static Electricity became a real problem. Then I remembered that I had bought some Pins at a Millenery (Sewing) Shop in Hemel Hempstead when I lived in that famed Town. After a minute or two searching in the Workshop they were found and have proved to be ideal. Wish I had found them before I cut all the others up but they can stay now.
1713C262-DC28-4970-9EE8-7DE84CE5FFB1.jpeg
These are shoved into holes drilled with a No.70 Drill which just about holds them in place nicely. Lots of holes. Drill has run out of Battery which is why I am catching up with the post. Oh in a box of old Plastic I found a Wheel and it has been pressed into service as an add on to the Brake Wheel.

I will need to ponder the Air Vents now, Continental NG Railways in generel were not like us insisting on the correct Van for specific circumstances. For instance the W&L had specific Sheep Vans for well Sheep and other Vans for General Goods. Many European NG Lines were quite happy to use the Vans for multiple service, just creating Vents for when the Beasts were being carried. These can be seen to the top of the Prototype Pics.

Finally a couple of pics in the Sunshine Today.
9ECF9858-F791-47A8-BA48-D7C51E5FBA59.jpeg
BA042DD3-62C5-448B-BCDD-D4611E01CD8F.jpeg
You can make out the additional Brakes that have been added to the left in these pics as well.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Did very little yesterday after my trip to Nero for Coffee and discovering a couple of new Micro Pubs to investigate, one being on Platform 3b at Doncaster Station, that had to be investigated immediately. Well it is barely 1 and a half hours away by Train. Well worth the trip so only work was some derisory hole drilling for Rivets.

Wednesday was much more productive though having fabricated and fitted all 8 Sliding Air-vents. They were made by cutting 10 thou Black Plasticard for the drop down bit. The x was done first with one using Micro Strip glued acrois the piece then pencil marking the other cross arm and making that from two Strips. The vents were then glued in place. I then used the centre point to mark the pull down Rod using a Set Square on the roof line to ensure that they would all be square. Then with the same Micro Strip that I used for the Plastic Rivets cut out all 8 Rods and the 16 shorter pieces that would make the Y. Finally after glueing all that on 8 shorter pieces were cut for the Hand Holds.
2C5FD007-8261-43B1-BAA2-441E11EF3682.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

dave snape

Registered
21 Dec 2014
west midlands
Best answers
Country flag
I did not know of the Dean goods webbsite .Lots of usefull stuff. Thanks.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I did not know of the Dean goods webbsite .Lots of usefull stuff. Thanks.
There are precious few manufacturers of bits and bobs for the scratchbuilder :nod::nod::nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It has now been in the Paint Shop and is in all over Brown (Halfords Rattle Can Red Primer) which will be the primary Colour. After a day ir two to fully cure I will then be on with Masking Tape to Spray all the Ironwork Black. Then it should just be lettering and the Roof with a little Weathering to finish off.
C68DB714-EE2A-4869-8F01-9FBB3734F280.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I forgot to take a pic of it all taped up for spraying black, but here it is in the spraybooth having just had the Black Spray. I think you will be able to make out the Masking Tape.
D91081B3-6812-4508-83CA-325A91B5F29C.jpeg
Then an underneath pic shows the varying bits that will need to be hand splashed in Black. You should also be able to seesome of the 8 Nylon Washers to stop excessive Side to Side Movement that will help with better running, something that all of my LGB and other makes of rolling stock have had. But this is the only one that has needed as many as 8 washers. Behind in the Plastic Thing are bits that still need to be replaced on Pfiffi!
0BAA048E-8BAE-4345-AE6C-9CE9702DCA4C.jpeg
Finally showing one side, there has been a little bit of bleed through in places. Something quite possibly self inflicted by not being dilligent enough in my pressing down of the Masking Tape. It will be resolved by my normal method of Brush Touching up with some Brown from the Rattle Can. I spray enough to get a small bit of liquid in the Can Lid which lasts OK for this job. I also need to touch up the handrails as Maskol was used behind and inevitably some got on them. I also used some Maskol on the top sudes of the Air Vents which has worked very well, I probably should have used it for all the edges, but an old Brush got trashed using the stuff. Net advice is to wet the brush with water, but next time I think I will use Cocktail Sticks and Coffee Stirrers rather than a Brush.
B85E6EC3-D863-40C0-A5D4-8AA251A72AC6.jpeg
Numbers and Information Plates have been added, just the roof and some subtle weathering to go.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to fit the Roof yesterday, just a Plasticard one with a score in the middle to allow it to bend over. A skim with some emery makes it Matt which will do I think for now. Also the Numbers and Labels fitted with a little touching up here and there to sort out the Spray Bleed theough and an odd Plank made to look like a replacement. Now ready for service now that its Orders Card has also been made.
7FE95D21-0F73-479E-9905-C1FCA5C5DCEB.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent bash Jon,well done that man:cool::cool:;)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I forgot that I have made a similar van to this on an Aristo Track Cleaning Caboose. This one the 2 Balconies left in place. Part of my now semi redundant Track Cleaning Fleet of Wagons.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users