Frank S rejoins the railway

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
As the Aster Schools I had purchased did not play well on the curves of the portable layout our group uses at steam up. It was sold/traded for a nice old LGB/Aster Frank S. He headed right into the back shop as he was quite oiling and needed attention to the lanterns, I replaced the missing lantern lenses with ones the previous owner turned up on his lathe. Lamps are already drilled out to accept LEDs and those will be added in due time. I also did the front trim rings in brass paint to give her the look of the electric version of this handsome engine. She steams well on blocks, will get some track time later this weekend if the weather behaves. Have family obligations for Easter tomorrow. I also added a fireman leaning on his shovel in the cab doorway, mounted with a screw up thru the footplate. Once I convert back to RC control, I will see about mounting an engineer on the other side. Need finger access to the reverse lever for now. Might also move the fuel tank to the cab with one of the Roundhouse upright tanks. Sure wish Finescale Engineering could still make the replacement tank they used to offer!! Yes I did check into it and they are unable to supply them anymore. Mike the Aspie
Frank_S.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A very smart looking loco and sounds a very good buy.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Very smart...very very nice

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Pic of Frank raising steam early this morning when it was sunny out. Cloudy and preparing to snow now, 2-3 inches or more expected.
20180401_110744.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great locos. My first, and still one i like a great deal. They whisper.

Hint, every run, check all screws, including those holding steam cylinders to frame, and, critically, the center screws for driver wheels. They can loosen, work outward from the wheel, foul the rod clearance, and the tension washer and or screw can get lost in the ballast.

They get pretty hot, so i thinks its an achievement to be able to illuminate the lamps.

Also, check out the article at southern steam, a series on the frank s. Many good tips.

The tip to incline the tender, footplate end raised , on blocks, has been a godsend at fire up. Otherwise a full tank spits liquid fuel into the burner due to the fuel tank design. But, you likely know this if youve the skills to mod the loco.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, knew all that Steve, but good info for others reading that might consider this engine as thier first steamer. Its not that hard to light the lanterns LED's or bulbs and teflon insulated wire. You use the engine itself for the ground and run a single wire to each lamp. I run a single feed under the boiler and split 3 ways(one to each lamp). I put the battery pack in the tender, along with the RC reciever in a balloon to protect it from water. Biggest issue with Frank, or any gas fired model is not to overfire and have the flame in the smokebox. All live steamers get hot, try being in the cab of a 1:1 scale locomotive on a hot summer day, it can be 120'f to 150'f in cab, espically when sitting still. We kept a pot of coffee on a shelf just above the firebox door, hot and fresh!

Reactions: 1 user