Fr.Fred gives in and joins this "Obsessed" gang...!!

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hello there. I have been in Large scale since September 1981. Deep into operations, rather than just running in circles. Having been blessed with a rather large back yard, 15+ friends and I operate the Ironwood Peter's Pond & Western, every Saturday morning, weather permitting. Our seasons usually start around the 24th of May, and continue until whenever the first frost appears, in October.
We are all battery, radio control. No track power. We model two types of operations, based on the type of equipment, alternating equipment week to week.
The operations are called "Standard Gauge", when we use a fleet of North American type SG rolling stock; and "Narrow Gauge" when we use a fleet of older style, North American NG equipment.......we use the same #1 gauge track for both style of operations.
The SG operation us usually using mostly Diesel Electric type locomotives, and the NG, uses steam type.
We use the "RailOp" computer program for train orders, and car distribution.
More information can be found on our web page: www.ovgrs.org/
I regularly converse with a fine fellow over there by the name of Allen Lott, who will think I'm out of my mind joining in here......but I do enjoy "The British" way of railroading, and figure as long as it is "Steel Wheel, on Steel Rail" it is all good fun. Can we start having fun now...!!!

Reactions: 3 users

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Vernell......egads, fancy meeting you here....you live rather close by....!!
Fred

Reactions: 1 user

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome....that is some train room and workshop you have...impressed and so spotless.
Kev

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bout time you found you way here Fred! Welcome!! Mike

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, good friar. Will you be laying a third rail for 32mm on the IPP&W :rofl:?
(Me neither)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Fred glad a fellow operator has joined the forum. Not too many here get into that most tend to just enjoy a navigation of the line. But there are a few exceptions, sadly none near me in Cambridgeshire. But I do live in hope. A quick scan of your track plan shows the complexity of your line. Without a Timetable I imagine the Dispatcher has a busy day. Not a job for the faint hearted. My line runs somewhat differently to yours but is justbas much of a challenge in its own way. Some of your guys might be interested to see how I do things so my link here is the start of my descriotion of how my line is run.

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/a-new-railway-is-started.260103/page-6

Good to see fellow operators, just wish I lived closer to join in on a Saturday.
JonD

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the 'olde country' Fred. You will will get used to the pseudonyms used and find a few here with similar interests to you and the OVGRS folk. The OVGRS we site should prove very useful to those here than have not seen it and its contents before.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Fred. You've come to the best model railway forum on the internet.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Fred, there is a distinct lack of seriousness here that you will come to appreciate (hopefully) - we all do our own things, and everyone accepts that. From seasoned operators like yourself, through collectors and scratchbuilders, to those whose pleasure is just watching a little train wend its way though a well-planted garden, there is something on GSC for everyone - hope you enjoy spending some time here!

Jon.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Not forgetting those of us who only model in G Scale indoors and do not have a railway in the garden.

David