forming cobblestones....

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
The Devonian said:
For anyone running a tramway system and who does not want to install overhead catenary might choose to model the Dolter system.

Correct me if I am wrong but this was the system where the contacts were raised or powered by an elecro magnet and the current collected in the car by a shoe? As Opposed to the Plough wich sat in a trough between the rails.....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You're not wrong Trev. There were other similar systems as well (Lorraine, etc.). The main problem was that a stud could remain live and would cause problems for other road users, They did try metal brushes under the cars which, if they hit a live stud, would cause a short-circuit (presumably throwing a breaker).

Mechanical types, which linked each stud - so only the stud under the leading skate was raised - were tried but the usual problems of wear and tear and the detritus from horse-drawn traffic meant that system did not prevail. The trailing skate pressed the stud down and raised the next in front. The skates were extremely long. This was the Anderson system tried out in Leeds.

Interesting stuff!

Mick

I thought Alyn's photo was an actual installation of the real thing! (I still think it is).

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
I thought Alyn's photo was an actual installation of the real thing! (I still think it is).

The brown muck filling the (disused?) rail grooves dosen't really look like black boot polish!!

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
You're not wrong Trev. There were other similar systems as well (Lorraine, etc.). The main problem was that a stud could remain live and would cause problems for other road users, They did try metal brushes under the cars which, if they hit a live stud, would cause a short-circuit (presumably throwing a breaker).

Mechanical types, which linked each stud - so only the stud under the leading skate was raised - were tried but the usual problems of wear and tear and the detritus from horse-drawn traffic meant that system did not prevail. The trailing skate pressed the stud down and raised the next in front. The skates were extremely long. This was the Anderson system tried out in Leeds.

Interesting stuff!

Mick

It is!!! Alyn

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That explains why it looked so realistic

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Update..... So I was being dragged through a tile shop and spotted some small irregular mid grey "tiles" about 3/8" sq... Guy told me" they are not regular shaped, they are for mosaics sir" so I told him what I was doing and they look like they will be great insitu, maybe enhanced with some black boot polish..... And then I saw G scale cobblestones before my very eyes... Turned out they are small natural pebbles that are applied in the domestic situation to kitchen benchtops etc by spreading a layer of the special adehesive/grout(comes in lots of colours) and then scattering the pebbles over the top and pressing them into the goo. The surface is allowed to "haze" over and then polished off with hessian cloth and a final wipe over with white vinegar to clean up.... product was called "pebble top" don't know if available elsewhere but should be.... Pics of course in due course, both suited to exterior appliaction...

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
can you tell me if this tile shop is part of a chain please
barryw

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
barryw said:
can you tell me if this tile shop is part of a chain please
barryw

Yes, it was at Amber tiles.....

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Just catching up here - I used to have overhead made from inverted peco code 100 nickle silver rail - it never needed cleaning, the scraping action of pantographs was sufficient for good contact even when only run every few weeks or so - however, trolley poles may present more difficulty!

Looking forward to seeing the cobbles.