Fitting battery power to an LGB G Scale Stainz 0-4-0 Steam

brian_pg_white

Registered
6 Mar 2011
Best answers
Can anyone provide a simple guide on how to do this including diagrams or pictures if possible

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do you want to put everything in the loco?
OR
Would you be happy with a trail car?

If you have no other (track-powered) loco's on your track. Your track power is disconnected. No points or anything else fed with power from the track. - DEAD RAILS....

Then you can just plug into the socket(s) on the back of the Stainz... - Next stage, is to 'pop' the bullets and skates out of the bottom of the motor-block.

PhilP.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I also have blog on the conversion - HERE

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
That’s a very neat job you’ve done JimmyB.

but the stainz Isn’t the easiest loco to convert due to its lack of onboard space, and the many screws needed to dismantle it.

But it’s doable,

dan

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Do you want to put everything in the loco?
OR
Would you be happy with a trail car?

If you have no other (track-powered) loco's on your track. Your track power is disconnected. No points or anything else fed with power from the track. - DEAD RAILS....

Then you can just plug into the socket(s) on the back of the Stainz... - Next stage, is to 'pop' the bullets and skates out of the bottom of the motor-block.

PhilP.
In addition to the onboard battery conversion, I also did one with a trail car and, as Phil says, used the socket on the back of the loco

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Off the wall thoughts:

It is now possible to get a 18650 Li-ion battery, with a capacity of 5000mAh! - A phenomenal amount of energy, for a cylinder 18mm diameter, and 65mm long!
Couple this with a small 'step-up' voltage converter, and you can run for hours..

Just a thought.. :):nerd::)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Off the wall thoughts:

It is now possible to get a 18650 Li-ion battery, with a capacity of 5000mAh! - A phenomenal amount of energy, for a cylinder 18mm diameter, and 65mm long!
Couple this with a small 'step-up' voltage converter, and you can run for hours..

Just a thought.. :):nerd::)
Is it genuine? I once bought three 18650 li-ions which were supposed to be 4000mAh but when I tested them, they were less than 2000mAh - and one of them packed up nine months later .... :worried:

Rik

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Is it genuine? I once bought three 18650 li-ions which were supposed to be 4000mAh but when I tested them, they were less than 2000mAh - and one of them packed up nine months later .... :worried:

Rik

Of the ones that I use, which are these:
Lithium Batteries | Rapid Online{%22Brand%22:[%22Ansmann%22]}

the highest capacity for single cells in this range is 3500mAh (the packs that have higher capacities listed are ones made from multiple cells (or banks of cells) in parallel).

I've run a two-motor LGB loco (specifically a Saxon IVk) on a 2600mAh pack, and I've never yet run it flat in a single operating session - I've not used any of the newer 3500mAh cells yet, but I think they would give you all the running duration you'd ever likely need....

Jon.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Please make my life simple and economical.

I would like to convert one of my Stainz locos to battery power with a trailing battery wagon.

I don't even know if the locomotive is DC or DCC.

Is there a quick method of adding battery power please so I can chug around my small garden oval hauling a few wagons.

What kind of battery would be suitable with an unsophisticated r/c system

Thank you,

Sarah

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah,
Does your Stainz have the rectangular socket on the back?

If so, this change is quite easy..

At Crewe at the moment, so more this evening.

Ps> It does not matter if DC or DCC.

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

I would like to convert one of my Stainz locos to battery power with a trailing battery wagon.

Is there a quick method of adding battery power please so I can chug around my small garden oval hauling a few wagons.

Thank you,

Sarah
While you are waiting for Phil, you could have a quick look at the link by Rik in post 6 where he shows the connector mentioned.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Thank you,

Sarah
This is my blog on how I converted an Otto, but can be applied to a Stainz:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah,

Whilst we have been out, it seems the others have provided you with a 'bread-crumb' trial to how to do this..

If you look at the link in post #6 (Rick's blog) that will show you how to do it. - If you are dead-rail (no controller connected, or other loco's on the track) you can even leave the pickups connected.
If you wish to be extra-safe, you can remove these without doing more than removing the bottom plate of the motor block. - Assuming your loco is not really old, with a clamshell block.

I can pop a suitable connector (for the rectangular socket) in with the diodes I am going to send you.
:)

PhilP

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

Thank you,

Sarah
As others have mentioned, my blog describes how it can be done with a trail car which is by far the easiest. If you want to keep it really simple, you can use non rechargeable batteries. I've described using Deltang RC gear which is in short supply but Micron RC now has an acceptable and compatible alternative.

PhilP (RC Trains) would be able to supply you with all the parts needed including the plug needed for the rear of the Stainz loco.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure how much the Deltang would cost, but certainly the Piko RC 35040 system is pretty good value at around £66 from Topslots is pretty good value and can be fitted into a trailing van with ordinary AA or rechargeable NiMh. Screw fit terminals on the Piko unit make installation simple, but for low instructions carefully to ensure positive and negative fitted the right way round as in all battery installations. Oh and a fuse would be an advisable addition to the positive wire. On/off switch included with the Piko unit. Key fob transmitter pretty easy to use.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I found the Piko system unreliable. The signal would drop off……
I have two battery Stainz. All the gubbins is in the loco.
I don’t like a trailing wagon. The loco has to be able to run light in my railway world.
Here’s one of them. (The 24 volt smoke unit gets power off the track still)

0062FB0F-1D66-4DFD-9833-CC896787566B.jpeg