Fitting battery power to an LGB G Scale Stainz 0-4-0 Steam

• Thread starter brian_pg_white
  • Start date
B

brian_pg_white

Registered
6 Mar 2011
Can anyone provide a simple guide on how to do this including diagrams or pictures if possible

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Do you want to put everything in the loco?
OR
Would you be happy with a trail car?

If you have no other (track-powered) loco's on your track. Your track power is disconnected. No points or anything else fed with power from the track. - DEAD RAILS....

Then you can just plug into the socket(s) on the back of the Stainz... - Next stage, is to 'pop' the bullets and skates out of the bottom of the motor-block.

PhilP.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
I also have blog on the conversion - HERE

a98087

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
That’s a very neat job you’ve done JimmyB.

but the stainz Isn’t the easiest loco to convert due to its lack of onboard space, and the many screws needed to dismantle it.

But it’s doable,

dan

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Do you want to put everything in the loco?
OR
Would you be happy with a trail car?

If you have no other (track-powered) loco's on your track. Your track power is disconnected. No points or anything else fed with power from the track. - DEAD RAILS....

Then you can just plug into the socket(s) on the back of the Stainz... - Next stage, is to 'pop' the bullets and skates out of the bottom of the motor-block.

PhilP.
In addition to the onboard battery conversion, I also did one with a trail car and, as Phil says, used the socket on the back of the loco

Rik

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Off the wall thoughts:

It is now possible to get a 18650 Li-ion battery, with a capacity of 5000mAh! - A phenomenal amount of energy, for a cylinder 18mm diameter, and 65mm long!
Couple this with a small 'step-up' voltage converter, and you can run for hours..

Just a thought.. :):nerd::)

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Off the wall thoughts:

It is now possible to get a 18650 Li-ion battery, with a capacity of 5000mAh! - A phenomenal amount of energy, for a cylinder 18mm diameter, and 65mm long!
Couple this with a small 'step-up' voltage converter, and you can run for hours..

Just a thought.. :):nerd::)
Is it genuine? I once bought three 18650 li-ions which were supposed to be 4000mAh but when I tested them, they were less than 2000mAh - and one of them packed up nine months later .... :worried:

Rik

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Is it genuine? I once bought three 18650 li-ions which were supposed to be 4000mAh but when I tested them, they were less than 2000mAh - and one of them packed up nine months later .... :worried:

Rik

Of the ones that I use, which are these:
Lithium Batteries | Rapid Online{%22Brand%22:[%22Ansmann%22]}

the highest capacity for single cells in this range is 3500mAh (the packs that have higher capacities listed are ones made from multiple cells (or banks of cells) in parallel).

I've run a two-motor LGB loco (specifically a Saxon IVk) on a 2600mAh pack, and I've never yet run it flat in a single operating session - I've not used any of the newer 3500mAh cells yet, but I think they would give you all the running duration you'd ever likely need....

Jon.