Fitting 2-channel RC to Caledonia

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've just chopped in my very pretty two-channel RC Accucraft 7/8ths Sea Lion against a beautiful manual IMR/MNR Caledonia. So...can anyone advise on fitting two-channel RC to Cale? I'm thinking Deltang Rx102 plus servos (what make? How and where to fix them?) with Strikalite batteries in the tanks. Am I thinking along the right lines?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rx102 with the extended aerial option. - Allows you to mount the Rx under the footplate, and route the aerial somewhere clear of most of the bodywork.

Metal-geared servo's of your choice. - Body-colour of the servo might have a bearing on your choice of manufacturer?

Do Accucraft do a kit of parts for the conversion? - servo brackets (if needed) linkages, possibly a different regulator arm?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've just chopped in my very pretty two-channel RC Accucraft 7/8ths Sea Lion against a beautiful manual IMR/MNR Caledonia. So...can anyone advise on fitting two-channel RC to Cale? I'm thinking Deltang Rx102 plus servos (what make? How and where to fix them?) with Strikalite batteries in the tanks. Am I thinking along the right lines?

I noted on another topic you were at Steam in Beds today, so was I, but I avoided that much temptation :) . I mention this as at the show was Mike Darby of Chuffed2Bits, he was exhibiting in the Church "annex" to the show. Did you see him ? Mike is an long standing Accucraft service agent and has done one or two R/C conversions on my locos, not to mention Acucraft themselves. He is based in Warwick. He can do a full fit or supply you with a kit of parts to do the job yourself. There are other Accucraft service agents around the UK who can perform the same services, check the Accucraft UK site for their locations. Max

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I noted on another topic you were at Steam in Beds today, so was I, but I avoided that much temptation :) . I mention this as at the show was Mike Darby of Chuffed2Bits, he was exhibiting in the Church "annex" to the show. Did you see him ? Mike is an long standing Accucraft service agent and has done one or two R/C conversions on my locos, not to mention Acucraft themselves. He is based in Warwick. He can do a full fit or supply you with a kit of parts to do the job yourself. There are other Accucraft service agents around the UK who can perform the same services, check the Accucraft UK site for their locations. Max
I didn't go with the intention of buying a loco, but Caledonia looked to be in good condition, is a beautiful model to my eyes, and is right for my IOM rolling stock. I traded in my 7/8th Sea Lion with a cash adjustment: the latter was a pretty loco, but never quite clicked with me and being a fundamentalist I had to have separate Groudle Glen rolling stock for her, too. I saw Mike's stand but hadn't closed the deal with Simon Whenmouth at that point. Mike repaired my Peveril under warranty, so I know a little of his work. But being reasonably practical, I was just thinking of learning something new and fitting the r/c myself. However, it is always easier to do this with an example to look at/copy!

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rx102 with the extended aerial option. - Allows you to mount the Rx under the footplate, and route the aerial somewhere clear of most of the bodywork.

Metal-geared servo's of your choice. - Body-colour of the servo might have a bearing on your choice of manufacturer?

Do Accucraft do a kit of parts for the conversion? - servo brackets (if needed) linkages, possibly a different regulator arm?
I have e-mailed Accucraft to see if they do a kit -there isn't one listed that I can see. Hi-Tec servos seem popular -are they OK? Funnily enough I was thinking I might use an Rx102 -are they compatible with a Tx-22?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have e-mailed Accucraft to see if they do a kit -there isn't one listed that I can see. Hi-Tec servos seem popular -are they OK? Funnily enough I was thinking I might use an Rx102 -are they compatible with a Tx-22?

Any 'branded' servo should be fine..

The Rx102 is part of the DT family of RC modules, so yes, it will be compatible. You would need a Rx102-1.

<EDIT> As this is a metal-bodied loco, you may want to specify the extended aerial version? - This has a small coaxial socket on the board, and a plug-in lead with aerial (about 150mm long). This allows you to site the aerial in 'free-air'.
This makes the receiver a Rx102-1-HU.

PhilP.

Last edited: