Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I recently acquired a L’il Big Hauler passenger set because it looked like a good bodging project, including battery r/c.
I have Li batteries in my “someday” drawer and a Piko tx/rx set, so I decided to play around with the tender to see how they might fit.
IMG_0160.jpegIMG_0156.jpegIMG_0157.jpegIMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg
Looks like it is easy enough for me. First thing I did was to substitute metal wheels from the spares bin. I’ll have to buy a couple of bits, but it’s a go.
And if I botch it, it won’t be a loco I really don’t want to lose.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I recently acquired a L’il Big Hauler passenger set because it looked like a good bodging project, including battery r/c.
I have Li batteries in my “someday” drawer and a Piko tx/rx set, so I decided to play around with the tender to see how they might fit.
View attachment 315058View attachment 315059View attachment 315060View attachment 315061
View attachment 315064
Looks like it is easy enough for me. First thing I did was to substitute metal wheels from the spares bin. I’ll have to buy a couple of bits, but it’s a go.
Let me know how you deal with the conflict between the rear axle on the tender and the lowering block that allows standard LGB couplers to be mounted, assuming you go that route. I've added the now defunct Monocacy R/C to a L'il tank loco and a tender loco. Works well enough, but I set the tender loco aside when I encountered the aforementioned conflict. Haven't got a round tuit since then. :(

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Let me know how you deal with the conflict between the rear axle on the tender and the lowering block that allows standard LGB couplers to be mounted, assuming you go that route. I've added the now defunct Monocacy R/C to a L'il tank loco and a tender loco. Works well enough, but I set the tender loco aside when I encountered the aforementioned conflict. Haven't got a round tuit since then. :(
I'm going to use three-link (chain) couplings to match the rest of my Fallowfield Light Railway stock, so I'll avoid the mismatched hook-and-loop problem.
100_3543 (Copy).JPG
Like so.
I know, it's cheating :devil:

I have the tank loco, too, so I'll be playing with that eventually.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 315058View attachment 315059View attachment 315060View attachment 315061
View attachment 315064
The Piko set is a good starters dead rail project, have a look at my conversions if you get stuck. Done 3 now.