First time with G scale

Edward Johns

Registered
26 May 2017
Rayleigh
Best answers
I know she knows she is the problem as she is the gardener and proud of her efforts. I'm only maintenance( pond pump and filter, fence painting, purchase of equipment for her to use etc.) Negotiations started a few months ago and complete agreement is a little way off but gettIng there. My usual desire for a huge layout as I have had in the loft in HO gauge is actually well tempered. For this project an end to end line with a station, signal box and engine shed will suffice but it needs a little creative thinking as parts will need to be portable modules to store in the summer house at times. I will try to get a reversing loop in and I think that lends it self to a portable module quite well.
Ed

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd certainly recommend trying to fit some kind of continuous run in - if not a circuit or a dogbone, then at least a single line with reversing loops at both ends; with an indoor layout you may get more fun from "operations" on the layout, but out in the garden you often just want to be able to relax (possibly with a beer...?) and watch the train(s) run without you having to do things every time they reach the end of the line.....

Just my opinion, and like all on here it is worth exactly what you paid for it! ;)

Jon.

Edward Johns

Registered
26 May 2017
Rayleigh
Best answers
Hi Jon. You have hit the nail on the head. Outdoors on a sunny day, beer in hand and our 2 cats going bananas as we all watch the trains round. My intention is to have what looks like end to end but with hidden return loops at each end. If I stick to digital power both systems I have available ( Marklin CS3 and ESU Ecos) have shuttle train facilities so that will provide alternative running from time to time. Some though will be needed to plan for the possible inclusion of the Furka Overlap set and a rack rail section. We have a small garden but with some forethought it will be possible. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for the Piko Rosenbach engine shed. Including postage the best deal is actually from a UK shop so I guess they got stock when the £ bought a few more Euros than it does now. I must order it today before it gets away.

Incidentally at Intermodelbau, Dortmund in April, Marklin had a vey nice LGB layout of a snow covered winter scene. Stupidly I had left my phone in the car so I didn't get pictures. A compact 2 level , 2 track layout. It is probably a little impractical for outdoors though.

Ed

Edward Johns

Registered
26 May 2017
Rayleigh
Best answers
Hi everyone. Looking at rail clamps Piko do them and so do Massooth. The Piko clamps look like they a rail joiner with screws as the rail slides in to the T-slot. Massooth seem to clamp the rail with the outer rail set up against a lip. Does anyone have a preference based on using either type?
Ed

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm using Massoth - they work well, are relatively inexpensive, not too visually intrusive and are easy to fit (being screwed from the top rather than the side makes a big difference).
I'm sure the Piko ones are effective too, but I think you'll find that a majority of folks on here have gone with the Massoth type. You can buy them in bulk bags (50 or 100 at a time) from Mark ("Muns") at Garden Rail Outlet, or at GRS who re-bag Massoth ones with their own label.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Incidentally at Intermodelbau, Dortmund in April, Marklin had a vey nice LGB layout of a snow covered winter scene. Stupidly I had left my phone in the car so I didn't get pictures. A compact 2 level , 2 track layout. It is probably a little impractical for outdoors though. Ed

Where we live for some of the year we, too, get 'snow covered winter scene' layouts. Usually under about six or seven feet of snow. A few years ago a relative of mine actually lost a school bus in a drift...yup, 36 feet long, 8 feet high and wide and totally hidden from sight. Took us three days looking with avalanche probes to locate it, too.

tac

Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Used both Piko and Massoth. As well as hillman.. best are Massoth..imho

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
I know she knows she is the problem as she is the gardener and proud of her efforts. I'm only maintenance( pond pump and filter, fence painting, purchase of equipment for her to use etc.) Negotiations started a few months ago and complete agreement is a little way off but gettIng there. My usual desire for a huge layout as I have had in the loft in HO gauge is actually well tempered. For this project an end to end line with a station, signal box and engine shed will suffice but it needs a little creative thinking as parts will need to be portable modules to store in the summer house at times. I will try to get a reversing loop in and I think that lends it self to a portable module quite well.
Ed

I can just about remember my first time. I've now, after more than 50 yrs, developed an excellent relationship with my head gardener, it's all,about finding the hidden loops and curves to say nothing about the odd passing place. You can often squeeze something enjoyable into the most unlikely places;).

Hope you don't mind but here's a couple of examples for a little inspirational selling of the idea of what's possible.

P1030955.JPG

P1000989.JPG

Welcome to GScaleCentral by the way .

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There was a super Vid of some guy knocking the LGB Railjoiners off in no time on YouTube.
JonD
Ok found the link:-

Was a lady, though I think I would be tempted to use a slightly beefier screwdriver and I am not too sure if the method would work on points.
JonD

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0367 - Copy.JPG

Show 'er something like this. T'was once bare lawn.

DSCF4279.JPG

You got grandkids etc?

Last edited:

Edward Johns

Registered
26 May 2017
Rayleigh
Best answers
I can just about remember my first time. I've now, after more than 50 yrs, developed an excellent relationship with my head gardener, it's all,about finding the hidden loops and curves to say nothing about the odd passing place. You can often squeeze something enjoyable into the most unlikely places;).

Hope you don't mind but here's a couple of examples for a little inspirational selling of the idea of what's possible.

View attachment 223833

View attachment 223834

Welcome to GScaleCentral by the way .

Hi GNB. Mind? Absolutely not. Pics are great and as you say, show how you can slip in loops etc.
Ed

Edward Johns

Registered
26 May 2017
Rayleigh
Best answers
View attachment 223836

Show 'er something like this. T'was once bare lawn.

View attachment 223837

You got grandkids etc?

Hi Gavin.
Lovely pics. Sadly no grandchildren but lots of nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews and 2 very inquisitive cats!! The cats will enjoy stalking the trains I think.

Are you in Wellington? We have been to NZ twice including a few days skiing at Mount Hutt. We toured both islands and have friends near Wakatane. Beautiful country on our list to visit again.

Ed

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gavin.
Lovely pics. Sadly no grandchildren but lots of nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews and 2 very inquisitive cats!! The cats will enjoy stalking the trains I think.

Are you in Wellington? We have been to NZ twice including a few days skiing at Mount Hutt. We toured both islands and have friends near Wakatane. Beautiful country on our list to visit again.

Ed

Actually, that's one of my Great nephews (I've got slightly older grandkids). Yes, I'm in (near) Wellington. We have a strong group of garden railway folk here, check out Taita Gorge, and H&M Railway, on this forum..
Now, I chucked that photo in as a sop to get your missus to let you add 'an exclusive feature' to her garden. Gnomes, and water features, et el, are just so passe.

...and it is Whakatane (pronounced Far-Car-Tar-Knee), Nice place, when it's not getting a torrential downpour, or sulphurous fumes/smoke from the volcano just off the coast.

bionicatomicuk

Registered
13 Dec 2016
Southend on Sea
Best answers
Hi Gavin. I've shown "The Boss" the pictures and I think a shaft of light got through. I think she felt I wanted to rip up the garden and take over when in fact I want to do exactly the opposite. Now she can see that the railway can blend in to the surroundings and add to it I feel progress in the air.
Thanks for the spelling correction and the pronunciation. We always laughed when we heard it said on the radio. We had great time there and no rain!! We have done the Wellington-Picton crossing twice and both times sit was like a mill pond. I know it has a reputation for not being so.
Also we did the Trans Alpine to Greymouth twice. What a ride.

Thanks for the pics and the links which I will look at today. I'm keeping a log of all the pics and web sites to help with the planning for my set up. I am quickly learning that you can upscale some things from HO gauge but a lot you can't. It is quite a different thing building for the outdoors and with real vegetation. Quite like the real thing having to adapt to the landscape as opposed to indoor set ups where you lay the track and then add landscape to suit.

Best wishes
Ed

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gavin. I've shown "The Boss" the pictures and I think a shaft of light got through. I think she felt I wanted to rip up the garden and take over when in fact I want to do exactly the opposite. Now she can see that the railway can blend in to the surroundings and add to it I feel progress in the air.
Thanks for the spelling correction and the pronunciation. We always laughed when we heard it said on the radio. We had great time there and no rain!! We have done the Wellington-Picton crossing twice and both times sit was like a mill pond. I know it has a reputation for not being so.
Also we did the Trans Alpine to Greymouth twice. What a ride.

Thanks for the pics and the links which I will look at today. I'm keeping a log of all the pics and web sites to help with the planning for my set up. I am quickly learning that you can upscale some things from HO gauge but a lot you can't. It is quite a different thing building for the outdoors and with real vegetation. Quite like the real thing having to adapt to the landscape as opposed to indoor set ups where you lay the track and then add landscape to suit.

Best wishes
Ed

Tranz Alpine. Must do it properly, one day...... the trips I did were in the loco, checking on my timetable that I did for the train.
Another time, on the old Tranz Alpine, I'd just flown into Christchurch that morning, so I had an appreciation of the weather and track conditions that awaited. Ended up being surrounded by a bunch of Aussies, who picked me straight away as being 'an official' (silly me, forgot to take my tie off). They moaned about the foggy weather, and that they would not see the mountains...
'Don't worry, the fog will clear 10 minutes out of Springfield', which it did. Easy to impress some people.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
i don't want grandkids I may have to share me trains!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
i don't want grandkids I may have to share me trains!

Plus - horror of horrors - the little blighters BREAK STUFF! :mad:

Very important to have something effectively indestructable for them to play with, like some Playmobil, so that you can get on with the important work of playing with the proper trains.... :rofl:

Jon.