Faur L45H / LxD2

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim - it's no where near as bright as the photos make out - 100 is a sort of dark orange, almost red - but a burnt red. Think of my old HO Canadian Pacific diesels, I used to use it for them too... and yes hiding under the masking is a light grey (Humbrol 64) roof and yellow stripe :)

I'm not sure if I'll bring it to Chester yet - I've got the new LGB Wangerooge trainset to bring over too - there should be room though. I did wonder about taking the 009 'La Meuse' kit that I started instead, along with some LEDs for outdoor lighting projects, and leave the Lxd2 to harden before doing anymore on it... But now you've asked :)

persistent_bodger

Registered
29 Dec 2010
Best answers
I see, yes I do remember those models, good description burnt red. Please don't bring it on my account, I always leave things for a few weeks to harden as its maddening if they get knocked in transit. It would be a real shame if it got damaged. I sadly couldn't bring my 009 back as I had no room but have a few interesting models and project CDR 2-6-4 on the cards.

Best
Tim

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes yes yes!!!! I am a very happy man, tonight I got a second coat of Humbrol Matt 100 on the Blauturm Lxd2, and once it was touch dry I removed the masking tape to reveal what I'd created....... always a tentative step...
c8939372c77a4e22adde8ad2aa37fbff.jpg

After I got a nice crisp edge on the first piece there was no stopping me...
aa99aead61214cfa846a758da87402b2.jpg

Here she is...
b2e424204cf2469090a73db63be577f0.jpg

496a9249130c42a3a89f6db24f177eb6.jpg

9e15fdff0f5e4c91b189ea5f154e0b3f.jpg

3de4bed7e8614840a3fa51d13f0e1d39.jpg

Yes it needs touching up in places, yes there is some glue residue from the tape but my oh my, it is really impressive and I'm very happy with the finish!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, you've given it what it deserved - bet you can't wait to see it running - even as a non-European enthusiast I can say that I am impressed:clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
You're right Mick - I can't wait...

Still some way to go...
I need to mask and then spray the black bits on the body, chassis and bogies, then fit the door handles, then touch up paint any overspray, and paint the new details.

Then it will be ready to varnish... then glaze... then assemble.
I've tested the motor blocks and chip seperately, but not together yet - so I'll get the chassis built up first, once varnished, before worrying about adding the body and lighting.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Have you got the new flush glazing through from Rene yet, James? Hopefully if he makes some for you and it works, then he will included it in all subsequent kits....

Jon.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not a sniff I'm afraid Jon - despite a couple of emails. I've got some clear glazing material I will use re-cessed for now - to get her running - and the laser cut/milled material can be fitted later :)

EDIT: it arrived this week :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well well well, I've been away for a few days so I left the paint to harden - and upon my return I find...
09e11ba7c59c491d83e7d0bbd44d5573.jpg

...a small packet from Rene (at Blauturm www.blauturm.de) in Germany.
What does it contain? Could it really be...
35ad3169b0e0437497635fb0c27b07af.jpg

...yes, it's the milled glazing - the side ones are a PERFECT fit, the end windows are a 'smidge'* too tall.

*smidge is definitely a technical term in bodging circles.

So with that excitement I have pushed on and began to detail paint the bodyshell. I need to do the window frames and handrails, as well as touching up the patches of overspray. I then will be fitting the door handles before the whole lot gets a coat or two of satin varnish... then assembly, wiring and hopefully by then the custom plates will have arrived!
728394876fe74540bc1f4840189fee9e.jpg

So far I've done the cab windows, the cab handrails and the top hood handrails on one side, plus the headlamp housings at each end. Still some way to go but it's really looking the part to me now!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks absolutely brilliant James.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Just caught up. It's going to be some loco. The detail and the crispness of the paint is very impressive especially as I know how much I struggle with my stuff. You clearly have steady hands, patience and an eye for detail!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
More, tell us more !!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As I continue to make slow but steady progress on the finishing of the Blauturm (http://www.blauturm.de/ < Link To www.blauturm.de) Lxd2 kit I have made some good progress on the cab interior. I have used some of the stickers provided to add the dials and switches to the bulk heads. I had considered making my own but life is too short and these look 80% right and even from close viewing, once there is a driver and glazing there will be a good balance I think.
0ad0cb0fea8143b9a5b05aa591165a55.jpg

e6c70d1c932b4eb699fd7e3a3ef777a3.jpg

ac9b54a13d83423bbaea5bc53130cb72.jpg

I have also painted the armrests (blue) and the control stands, before using a black pen to pick out some of the dial details. I'm really pleased.
38c02649307749bfa95b59d3cf9e038d.jpg

What you can't see is on the body all the handrails, windscreen wipers and cab window rubber surrounds are painted. Next up is touching up the red, grey and yellow, before moving on to the handles, and then the chassis detail painting.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
More slow progress on the Lxd2, the door handles are fitted and painted silver now and all the black detail painting is done. I've just got the touching up of red, yellow and grey before it's ready for a bit more assembly (the buffer beam details) and then satin varnish.
5f68ca5d1ffb4b90ba6de9a841f1b787.jpg

55960dd6f10842c08dc14e05e90cc9d3.jpg

4fb431ac0c28446099c89013e1a2fa2c.jpg

(in the photos it does seem VERY orange, it is an orangey red but the iPhone hasn't adjusted the whitepoint quite right and this is over emphasised. The overspray between the red and the yellow is a lot less noticeable too, but will be touched up carefully.

I've approved the proof for the artwork for the etched nickel silver plates and paid for that now too - and with the flush glazing arrived, it's just time now to put it all together. I've tested the drive units and decoder and lighting all seperately - once the body is 'sealed' with varnish I'll be putting it together in anger for the first time - a daunting moment - I'm sure it'll be fine though :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little more progress tonight - I've modified the chassis wiring routing holes to be large enough for the speaker connector so I can mount the speaker in the fuel tank and the chip in the body shell. I've also got the wiring connectors sorted so I can progress with 'wiring' this week - to perhaps test the chassis in anger prior to the body being completed.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a work of art james:clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike :)

Paul - yes - to start with just exhaust staining on the roof, as non of my other stock is weathered, but I've deliberately chosen more faded colours, and added white to the yellow, so it will look sunbleached, even when varnished.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very excited for TWO reasons tonight...

1) I received a photo from Steve at www.narrowplanet.co.uk
2) I've test wired the sound chip

So first, yes, the etched plates are done...
f5d6f28f8070421bbcc23abefab0fb06.jpg

Steve is going to paint them before sending them over - so it'll be a few weeks before they're on the locomotive, but that gives me enough time to finish off all the other jobs! They look splendid!
Only problem is the works plates are too big - how do I know? Well I measured the prototype ones from a scale drawing before the kit was started - Rene has compressed the step areas by about two millimetres. Not a lot, so I think I can carefully file down the edges, but I may well ask Steve to etch me a second pair slightly smaller, if he does another Nickel-silver etch this year. My mistake, I should probably have waited! The cab side ones are perfect though, and the detail is great.

Also on the etch are plates for the EJ&KLR Schoema, and an O&K bash I plan to do on the Davenport diesel with the Kof cab I aquired from Mike (dutchelm).

Anyhow...

I also wired up the electrics tonight - not the LEDs yet, just the sound chip, motor and pickups and then very briefly test run it by hooking crocodile clips up to the pick up shoes. It fired up and moved off perfectly first time! I can't wait to test it this weekend - expect some photos on Sunday :)