dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In the last week my neighbor has had his Garden done with a Fake Grass, being aware of this Job I asked for any offcuts no matter how small that may be left over. Yesterday he gave me the left overs, well passed them over the fence actually. This after a litle bit of use already is what I got
image.jpeg
Not sure that I can find a use for the Doggy Toy, however this is jumping forwards a bit as I have in the last year or three been using the Lidl Offering, I found this OK indoors but outside it appears to suffer big time from the Heat as the following picture shows, note the curley edges in spite of glued ballast to hide the joins.image.jpeg
So today I have been putting down the ew stuff in the hope that it fares better, lots more to do but the following pictures give you a feel of what has been achieved. Note that in one location I have cut the Grass in a Triangle to createimage.jpegimage.jpeg a Cinder Path, in another cut in half for a Roadway that has been used for Lorry Loading to Hopper Wagons (still wet with glue)image.jpegimage.jpegand in another used some very short Triangles to fit between some Fake Conccrete Troughing. Troughing added after pic was taken!
image.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpegFinally note the closeness to the van which just pushes the long grass out of the way. I am quite pleased with the effec, though I think too much could look a little fake as indeed this stuff surely is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting. It shows the difference in quality between cheapo Lidl and the stuff your neighbour gave you. If you are going to use artificial turf it can look very realistic now with multiple colour strands like in your example and UV resistant. A thick base layer is important so it lies flat. As you say small areas of the longer strand stuff (your's looks like 35-40mm) looks good as trackside vegetation.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting. It shows the difference in quality between cheapo Lidl and the stuff your neighbour gave you. If you are going to use artificial turf it can look very realistic now with multiple colour strands like in your example and UV resistant. A thick base layer is important so it lies flat. As you say small areas of the longer strand stuff (your's looks like 35-40mm) looks good as trackside vegetation.
Had not thought to measure the stuff, appears to be closer to 25-30mm which if I could get some of the 35-40 would make an interesting mix and match for a rough embankment. Also for got to mention that BnQ do small sample squares that I have looked at for small area's and was on the verge of getting one or two when the possible availability of some for Free came to my ear. May take the ruler to see if the BnQ samples may give me some longer stuff to experiment with.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I love the stuff.. ideal for a raised line on wood ect ..20180506_144253.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I've used it in several locations around the railway, including lining around puddle pond.
LzjH5crp_92Tmny3EHpAooehm091d3LM7BP4z4v7cW7VhandDSBrndcYYGjqhxWcvScy0mVLQBWCL4V_Co_C4YA7IGp_kyjyy2IVbTnuWe5T91ZbP8H8SQH9PxtCHPCQK5a5Aiobn7Y2N9jKPTNNn1XGGlBaYaOZQ9b80yDoLRsnk_GZEk8Hsa__9MjY7bvEab7t18ACWbZH5E9qZWUTfMbwFPDZqmswvqWZ8tcicJlhowGfaoyTtF5Bnj5vgBWpJ-Q2g1NDTJru31R9DCiwfpB2JpxkpFiFovrKUWaQ6d2ldPjLYGtVTF5LEL-CZrdfxKS5SYxluV9TXgitre3Dgb8ZPogzm6p8WlBpGTueaZnjQMs9_yUHW9KZinY75HhyyIYhyw0KxqH0bOP6TpPMNGj2lbYUY4q7E_Z3QMWKjkgTQP97oK-gPvLGGix_BWbJiGtU4HMmT6V0Hplpc6xxzKdkBBKRB7Keyo1ViGr2EFjF5IthB9E8HoirmhFQweOj9kv2GqPq6sNxHSH9nF-c-iL7RGF3MVkNJlnjcX2HcJGLwJhp245O_ELuHycPZTy6CrIcJIV6Ho99Swy42cXVStBhHS2PU5B3IsY6iY7l=w2344-h1562-no

Reactions: 3 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Gee dunnyrail, I think that new fake grass has grown some more as we read your post. That green looks jolly good adding a bit of colour to that grey industrial section.
Watch out for that brown dog. He will probably go pee on it after he's finished laying in the sun. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Gee dunnyrail, I think that new fake grass has grown some more as we read your post. That green looks jolly good adding a bit of colour to that grey industrial section.
Watch out for that brown dog. He will probably go pee on it after he's finished laying in the sun. :rofl:
There is a Whitish one and a BlacknWhite one that may certainly do that if I left it out. The BlacknWhite one (2 week guest) has alreaddy rolled on it as soon as I put it on the ground.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I must say that fake grass has improved vastly over the years.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a piece of posh Astroturf from the garden centre about 5 years ago. I have just replaced it as it was so clogged up with moss it no longer resembled grass. Replaced it with some stuff I bought on ebay. Not such good quality but better than Lidl's, it will do.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve had mine down for five years. I reckon it’s still ok. Mine rests on concrete so nothing grows through it. It sometimes gets blown away in high winds. I think I go at it from B&Q
8FB0D8CC-F046-489D-B46F-F29E4120C2B4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve had mine down for five years. I reckon it’s still ok. Mine rests on concrete so nothing grows through it. It sometimes gets blown away in high winds. I think I go at it from B&Q
View attachment 239703
BnQ still sell the stuff, not cheep but in the scheme if things we are probably not wanting a Lawns worth.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
BnQ still sell the stuff, not cheep but in the scheme if things we are probably not wanting a Lawns worth.

Unless you are wanting to replace a lawn? ;)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Unless you are wanting to replace a lawn? ;)
Aha well spoted my vagueness, meant to mean a Lawns Worth for the Garden Railway!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I Got two sorts some stuff I got off the internet, it looked rubbish when laid and after about six weeks with the dogs jumping on it and rolling on it we decided to take it up as it looked utter rubbish. We then went to Wilson's carpets and bout some good stuff cost around three times as much the pile was at least 4 times thicker with multi strands to look like real grass, been down over a year now and looks just as good as the day it was laid , it was bought for the dogs to play on and they loved it from the from the day they got it :) I have just started to use one or two off cuts I have on my layout from the original cheap stuff and the better quality stuff.. Main grass areas we laid were laid on a bed of two inches of sharp sand, nothing has grown through the areas it's laid on.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Im trying some fake grass on my line . So far so good. I think it looks OK. IMG_20180701_094123960.jpgIMG_20180701_094136970.jpgIMG_20180701_094148072.jpg

Reactions: 1 user