Etched Brass wagon hardware

lyctus

Registered
12 Dec 2019
Duncraig, Western Australia
Best answers
Having completed the basic assembly of my Roundhouse Katie, my next task is to scratch build , mainly 2 axle British/Australian style wagons, to give the loco something to pull. I will have little trouble breaking down suitable timber to construct the narrow gauge style goods trucks ( Anglo/Australian term for a railway wagon) but I am considering the r/angle corners and strapping ,hinges etc. which will bring the models to life. I am considering using gasket type paper to cut strips, but would prefer to use etched brass strip, preferably with rivet detail in 1:22.5 scale if available.
Any suggestions on accessing this kind of product please ?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Having completed the basic assembly of my Roundhouse Katie, my next task is to scratch build , mainly 2 axle British/Australian style wagons, to give the loco something to pull. I will have little trouble breaking down suitable timber to construct the narrow gauge style goods trucks ( Anglo/Australian term for a railway wagon) but I am considering the r/angle corners and strapping ,hinges etc. which will bring the models to life. I am considering using gasket type paper to cut strips, but would prefer to use etched brass strip, preferably with rivet detail in 1:22.5 scale if available.
Any suggestions on accessing this kind of product please ?
Swift Sixteen have some strapping details I think.

Tenmille may be able to help with axle boxes.

Dean Goods (used to be Cambrian Models) do some small individual detail pieces in plastic.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag

lyctus

Registered
12 Dec 2019
Best answers
Thanks Rhinochugger and Northsider. Right on the money ! Dean goods have just what I want and I have ordered.
Other suggested suppliers will be useful as well in the future.
I became frustrated using combinations of 'etched' 'brass' and rail wagon' as search key words with really no result. So, thanks again.
Geoff

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Been said before but Cambrian in uk do rivets. You could use plastic L and add these.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
An alternative to Cambrian / Dean Goods rivet heads are half round nail art gems or pearls. I use 1mm and 2mm black pearls. At 99p for 1000 (Inc postage) they are pretty good value. You can also get hexagonal pearls to represent bolt heads.

Rik

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
would prefer to use etched brass strip, preferably with rivet detail in 1:22.5 scale
Can't you make your own? Thin brass strip is very easy to emboss from the rear to make rivet heads.
If you are worried about making them in a straight line, one trick I use is to print a small piece of paper on my printer with dots where the rivets go, then tape it to the brass. (Having a decent drawing program helps - I use MS Visio.)

lyctus

Registered
12 Dec 2019
Best answers
Thanks Peter, Rik and Fred. All useful suggestions. Yes, I could emboss thin brass.....I have a pack of brass shim sheets which could be used, and I will have a go at doing some - top tip Fred on the printed template. I have also got some super short brass escutcheon pins which I have used for rivet details on an old timer tank car, but I am moderately and amazingly time poor for a retired guy - I pick up responsibilities like a dog picks up fleas at the moment - and I was looking for a quick fix to allow me to get to the really interesting part of milling timber and building a short rake of 2 axle wagons.