ESU XL LOKSOUND + ESU DYNAMIC SMOKE

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
Hello to all,

it is just to share my first experience with an ESU loksound XL and a Esu smoke unit 54679...

I was very surprised about the good results.....

Hope you enjoy it...

Best regards,

Sergio

Reactions: 4 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a really effective smoke plume!
What loco are you going to install it in?

Jon.

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
Thanks Jon,

i am thinking to install this in a SPREEWALD locomotive.... my other options are a NICKI S, STAINZ or OTTO....
I can also change the decoder and the smoke unit so i can do this in a diesel loco also... i will see....

Sergio

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Sergio - what are the dimensions of the smoke unit? I think you might find it difficult to fit into the boiler of a Stainz or Otto, though in a Nicki & Frank S or a Spreewald there should be enough room....

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The Stainzmeister put a Massoth unit in the Stainz and it was hell of a fight - required some pretty drastic butchery to loco and unit. I cant see it being possible in an Otto. Frank S could be OK though.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's the main reason that Massoth came out with their new rounded design smoke unit, to allow fitting in smaller locos where the rectangular one simply wouldn't go....... that's why I'm interested in the size of the ESU unit, wondering if it might be a little smaller than the Massoth or Dietz ones?

In any case, that ESU unit looks remarkably effective - much more output than I've seen from any of the other makes of pulsed smokers!

Jon.

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
Hello,

ESU have two types of smoke generators... i have the 2 in my home.... i will try to make a video of the small in action....
Meanwhile here goes the dimensions....

54679 - 50 x 28 x 30mm
54678 - 40 x 25 x 29mm

54679 is the rectangular that you see in my video.... the 54678 is a round one....

PHOTO FROM ESU SITE...
title_54678_und_54679.jpg

They come equipped to use as a cylinder smoke unit as well as far as i can see....
i will do some photos to show exactly what come with each box and item .... give me 30m
Hope this answers some questions....

Best regards,

Sergio

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that info - looks like the smaller round type may even fit into locos that the curved Massoth one might not.....

Mark (Muns), if you're reading this, as you stock ESU - any idea of UK availability and prices on these units?

Jon.

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
To be honest i am here to learn about G scale but my company sells ESU also... here goes the prices from my company....

54679 - 71,99 Euros
IMG_4031.JPG

54678 - 67,49 Euros
IMG_4029.JPG

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Even at pound to euro prices, those figures seem good value..
Especially as you get all the 'plumbing' with the kit. - This also seems to fit the flanges on the smoke units. Massoth take note!
Now, if there were to be decent English translations of the manuals..

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
video of the smaller version...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have two steam outline locos fitted with high output smoke units, one ESU and one Massoth. I find that there is little to choose, both perform well even on analogue.
The ESU was factory fitted to a Kiss loco together with an ESU sound decoder.
The Massoth unit I fitted myself to an LGB/Aster loco with Massoth for LGB factory fitted sound. This choice was based on the wish to ensure compatability.

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
You can connect both smoke generators via SUSI to a Massoth decoder....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that info - looks like the smaller round type may even fit into locos that the curved Massoth one might not.....

Mark (Muns), if you're reading this, as you stock ESU - any idea of UK availability and prices on these units?

Jon.

Well I have had one of the 54679 larger "G" model for ages and intended to sell it at the same price as the Massoth one (£74).
The smaller 54678 smaller "O Gauge" model was not available when I ordered the G model.

Will have to wait until next week to find out up to date pricing and availability of them.

I have also need told that they are a pain to sync with the sounds on a ESU decoder.

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
Hello Mark,

you sink with the sound.... anytime you ear a chuff you will have smoke.... this was my first time with it and works wonderfull.....

Best regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR....

Sergio

ATELIER DU DCC

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Belgium
Best answers
Hello to all,

one more test... this time for diesel locomotives....
hope you enjoy...

Best regards,

Sergio

Chris C

Registered
10 Apr 2019
Vermont, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Outstanding...and, help. I currently have a G scale Mikado on the workbench. The smoke coming out is barely anything. And, I get more smoke when the loco slows down, coast mode. I am pretty damn sure its the settings in that it has worked better, worse but does work. Please any ideas or even the esu file so I can look at how you have it set up. Thanks. Chris

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello to all,

it is just to share my first experience with an ESU loksound XL and a Esu smoke unit 54679...

I was very surprised about the good results.....

Hope you enjoy it...

Best regards,

Sergio

Thanks for sharing the demo on the ESU smokers. I install Massoth DCC smokers and have found them to be very reliable, work well. Yes, they are more expensive than your ESU units. Guess you'll find out if their reliability matches the Massoth units' reliability. I have a demo of the Massoth rounded version on my Website's home page and it puts out so much smoke it will make you get sick in a confined space like my den/workshop. Same with the rectangular DCC unit which I installed into a caboose.251235