ESU sound decoder fitting

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening all

Was wonder on how you fit a esu decoder to a converted TTT range diesel as the voltages not the same I wont use it for running the motor as i have a massoth decoder fitted with power buffer to help over r3 and r5 point works was just wondering how best to fit a 08 decoder to work along side it and if it will be loud enough outsides

many thanks
adam

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is your question: "is there a voltage problem"

or

"will I have issues synchronizing the "speed" of the sound with the actual speed"

?

It will be loud enough if you pick the right speaker.

Greg

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Is your question: "is there a voltage problem"

or

"will I have issues synchronizing the "speed" of the sound with the actual speed"

?

It will be loud enough if you pick the right speaker.

Greg
In answer to your question both I have installed plenty of massoth decoders but never tried installing an esu sound decoder along side a massoth decoder in a g scale train so would like to know how its done before I blown anything

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So you are wanting to fit 2 decoders in the same loco? For your ESU a CV will enable sound level to be revised. not sure how the Massoth power buffer would react to the second chip, thus I think I would be tempted to take out the Massoth decoder and investigate a power buffer for the ESU.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You will obviously need to set both decoders to the same address.
You can then use decoder locking, when you need to alter settings in one or other of the decoders, but this can sometimes be problematic.

I always prefer to have a switch in a track feed to each decoder. This means that you can isolate one and program the other.

Unless you are using an ESU decoder from a range designed for a smaller gauge, I am not sure what you mean by 'different voltages'?

If you mean for power-buffers, then follow each manufacturers guide-lines, and do not try to use a single buffer for both. - A decent decoder will manage the power-buffer for programming purposes, but these could add another layer of problems to your programming.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
i would follow Jon's advice. No offense, but with the level of questions you are asking, the additional complexity of 2 decoders in the same loco, and mastering decoder lock, and the other possible interactions, you should stay with single decoders, OR you really need experience in the finer, more complex bits.

What to do in the former case is clear, in the latter, read up on decoder lock and see if it makes sense, and if so, try it out.

No shame in saying "that's too much complexity".... but in DCC, if you try to operate at a level where you have to ask for help all the time, what fun would there be? None of this stuff is "finished, I'll never touch it again, so I don't need to understand it"...

Greg

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening all

Was wonder on how you fit a esu decoder to a converted TTT range diesel as the voltages not the same I wont use it for running the motor as i have a massoth decoder fitted with power buffer to help over r3 and r5 point works was just wondering how best to fit a 08 decoder to work along side it and if it will be loud enough outsides

many thanks
adam
You don't indicate which ESU sound decoder you're installing, but for G scale I'd guess it's a Loksound 5XL. First, download the LokSound 5 Series Installation Manual from the ESU Website. Next, as has already been mentioned, don't use two decoders. Instead, remove the Massoth XL or L Locomotive decoder and replace it with the ESU Sound Decoder. There are wiring diagrams in the Installation Manual. You'll also need an ESU LokProgrammer to more easily set up the 5XL decoder's voltage for the lights and motor type. It also has a virtual Driver's Cab where you can test the operation of your settings when the decoder is installed into your locomotive. I use a test stand motor block to set up all my decoders before installing into the locomotive.