ESU SOUND DECODER AND LGB HANDSET COMPATIBILITY

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Hi chaps. A colleague has fitted and programmed an ESU Loksound with the sound for the Piko TEE Unit. We know it is correctly programmed as it works perfectly with the ESU Programmer and test track.
However, when he connects the LGB MTS (Mk3 ?) Handset, the loco moves ok but a lot of the sounds are missing, and whereas F2 should be the horn (as it is on the test track) the MTS switches the sound off altogether.
I have tried the same with my NMassoth Dimax and it is fine, so it suggests a problem between the decoder and MTS.

Can anyone shed any light, please ?

Regards

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
TONYWARD50 said:
Hi chaps. A colleague has fitted and programmed an ESU Loksound with the sound for the Piko TEE Unit. We know it is correctly programmed as it works perfectly with the ESU Programmer and test track.
However, when he connects the LGB MTS (Mk3 ?) Handset, the loco moves ok but a lot of the sounds are missing, and whereas F2 should be the horn (as it is on the test track) the MTS switches the sound off altogether.
I have tried the same with my NMassoth Dimax and it is fine, so it suggests a problem between the decoder and MTS.

Can anyone shed any light, please ?

Regards

A pure guess, Tony, and worth exactly what you paid for it - but it couldn't be a serial/parallel problem could it?

Jon.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Quite possibly, but I can't get any more info

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I had an ESU sound decoder when had MTS2, and it never worked correctly. Now have Massoth and no problems.

And I do believe that there is a setting where you can set the decoder to the MTS system. Maybe that will help. Just going to have a look

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
CV 49 set to bit 32. That should enable LGB functions.

Hope this helps.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I'd suspect the serial/parallel function problem, as Jon said.

According to the ESU LocSound V4 manual (is that what your colleague has?) it seems that CV 49 bit 5 controls if the decoder supports LGB serial mode or not. By default the decoder does not support the serial mode. Add 32 to the existing value in CV 49 and see what happens.

I have two ESU decoders and they work just fine.

Edit: Sorry my response crossed with bigjack's, at least we are saying the same thing!

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Yep that's the key CV, I've got 3 Esu chips and serial MTS and they work fine once that's set. Some of the chip sound sets have functions in weird order so I just moved them around on the lokprogrammer so the same functions were in the same places. I moved shunt speed to F10 so I didn't keep activating it and wondering what had gone wrong with the speed!