ESU & Power Buffer

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone help?
I have an ESU 3.5XL and want to add a Massoth power buffer. The Massoth instruction say use the decoder + and decoder -, but the ESU instruction do not mention decoder+/- or wiring a power buffer. I wired it to the track inputs, the sound starts up, but it then trips the MTS unit. I have wired in a switch for programming and The Sprog detects it. So far I hav'nt blown it, but don't want to push my luck any more.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
There's something nagging away in the back of my head:thinking: The lokpilot has a power back-up built in, and I think that the Loksound may be the same.

I think:thinking: But I may be wrong:thinking:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
bigjack said:
There's something nagging away in the back of my head:thinking: The lokpilot has a power back-up built in, and I think that the Loksound may be the same.

I used to assume all the large scale ESU decoders had a power buffer, but from discussions in other threads on here it seems that while the LokPilot XLhas one, the LokSound XLS doesn't.

Personally, I'd by very wary of trying to fit a Massoth power buffer to an ESU decoder. It certainly shouldn't go across the track input! If anything, maybe it might work by connecting the buffer "+" to the decoder U+, and buffer "-" to GND. But don't blame me if you blow it up!