Emotion S set up help please.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

i have received an order today of a emotion S sound decoder to fit to my rack engine. I have installed the speaker and emotion s, but when i connect it via the susi cable i only get an idle sound for around 15 seconds. it then goes off.

If i connect the sound decoder directly to the track power using the white and brown cables i get all the sounds working correctly. I want to use the susi connection. Is there some settings i would need to enable for this to work.

20200908_232936 _1_.jpg

Im using a Emotion L direct connect on the loco.

Videos
Direct connected to track.
SUSI connection fixed video link

Thanks Rich

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
READ the value of CV 49, by default likely to be set to 2, to activate the SUSI bus add 16, and WRITE the new value.

CV49.PNG

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

I have set my cv values on the emotion L to 49 - 16 was 1 previously.

I also set my value on the S to 49 - 16

neither of these options worked.

The sound does not appear turn on either when i use the track power direct with it set to 16.
Default the S came set with 49 set to 19 by gardenrail outlet and that works using track leads but not SUSI.

I have also tried it on a XL and same issue no sound when connected via SUSI

Thanks

Rich

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The instruction was ADD 16 to the value you read..

Set CV 49 back to '19' on the S decoder.

To use the original value in the L, set CV 49 to '17'.

PhilP.

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Some where down the line this is becoming complicated when it really is not, have you read the part in the installation manual regarding using the Susi connection.

3Connection to MASSOTH/LGB-Bus With a special adapter cable the eMOTION S decoder may be connected to LGB Onboard decoders. (available as item #8312075). The track power cables should be removed when using the SUSI connection (see illustration #4). Operating with the LGB bus requires an external pulse generator (item # 8242030) as the LGB bus does not transmit driving information. In this case CV 49 must be set to “3” and CV 195 must be set to “2”. If the bus autodetection does not work properly it can be set manually with CV 240 value 1.
Connecting to the power feed is an easier option.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But he is not running with the LGB bus.. He is running SUSI, and this does pass 'chuff' information.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the OP said the loco had a Massoth L decoder. Maybe he has both SUSI and power connected and just needs to disconnect the brown and white power leads.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
I had set CV 49 on my L to 17. No sound with it plugged into the SUSI connection. Setting it back to 1 i get the idle sound still for a few seconds.

i do not have both SUSI and Power connected at the same time. i use the brown and white to test the sound on the S when disconnected from the L.
20200909_131816.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Other than the stating the obvious, I presume the L Decoder has been tested and operates? does it and the S Decoder, have the same address?

Only reason for querying, is that in both the video's the L Decoder does not appear to operate the motor.

The PIKO screen shows Zillert02, and the S Decoder operating on default address 3?

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just a small wonder, were the dips set to off? Not able to make the status out in the pic.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Other than the stating the obvious, I presume the L Decoder and the S Decoder, both have the same address?
Only reason for querying is that in both the video's the L Decoder is not operating the motor, the PIKO screen shows Zillert02, and the S Decoder operating on default address 3?

A possibly silly question - does the SUSI connection actually override the address setting on the S, or does the address still have to be set to match that of the driving decoder?
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that adding a sound module via SUSI connection effectively makes it an extension of the driving decoder - if that makes some kind of sense...?

Jon.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
setting both decoders to the same had no effect.

All dips are set away form the decoder. so guessing off.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
A possibly silly question - does the SUSI connection actually override the address setting on the S, or does the address still have to be set to match that of the driving decoder?
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that adding a sound module via SUSI connection effectively makes it an extension of the driving decoder - if that makes some kind of sense...?

Jon.
Correct, the address set in the S module is irrelevant if you use SUSI.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Could the SUSI cable be at fault? I don't suppose you have another one but it seems to me you are doing everything correctly and it's not working. You should just be able to plug these things in and (provided the motor decoder has an enabled SUSI interface) off you go.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Could the SUSI cable be at fault? I don't suppose you have another one but it seems to me you are doing everything correctly and it's not working. You should just be able to plug these things in and (provided the motor decoder has an enabled SUSI interface) off you go.

can't see any possible defects. :( i have asked Muns the question via GRO about what may be the issue.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
From something that happened the other week:

Have you tried pressing F6 ?

PhilP.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
6 turns the sound off but only using the track connections.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Correct, the address set in the S module is irrelevant if you use SUSI.

Thanks Dave - so, just to reiterate in the simplest possible terms "With Subtitles For The Hard Of Thinking" (which these days includes me far too often) - all you should have to do is to ensure that CV49 on the driving decoder is set to enable the SUSI bus rather than the Massoth bus (by adding +16 to whatever value the CV is currently showing in factory setting), then simply plug the SUSI cable in and it should, in theory, just work....?

Does anyone know if that is a standard method across all (or most) decoders? Just wondering, because I'm thinking of getting a couple of the MD mXion decoders and their SUSI plug-in sound modules.... I guess I could ask MD to ensure that the SUSI bus is enabled when I order the decoder(s), so I don't actually have to adjust anything?

Jon.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That is my understanding. Massoth have the LGB bus set by default because of their long standing relationship. SUSI is the industry standard, I think it was invented by DIETZ?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I find this thread fascinating as it answers some of the questions I had about using the SUSI bus. I'm interested to find out what finally solves the problem for Rich.