Electronic speed controllers

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I have discovered through practical experience that some are linear in action and some are logrithmic. By that I mean that linear ones acceleration is smooth and equal across the movement, the logrithmic ones are the opposite, at lower speeds nothing much happens till you get to 3/4 throttle then speed increases dramatically. Some also have differing outputs in forward and reverse with anything from 60% to 80% the output of forward... It needs someoen with an oscilloscope and knowledge to test them, way out of my league...
the Hobby king forward/reverse ones are logrithmic, HK single direction are linear, Turnigy seem to give mixed results and indeed one I have has a fault where it seems to allow (or create) "surges" - tram is running along nicely then either slows or speeds up for no apparent reason. The ESC brand one I bought on eBay seems to be better, gives smooth control in both directions and will handle up to 14V....
I was just pondering why this would be, differences in the chips used I suspect. Indeed when I google PWM chips some are linear some are logrithmic.... Thats a question I shall now ask sellers if I buy anymore ESC's....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
What would happen if you put a reverse-log pot in the transmitter when used with the HK forward/reverse esc?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
nicebutdim said:
What would happen if you put a reverse-log pot in the transmitter when used with the HK forward/reverse esc?
The Tx is fully programable so I can set the TX up to have each individual channel do whatever I want them to. Not bad for a $28 6 channel transmitter.... But that does not answer your question does it? Answer: I don't know....
Because I gutted a $28 Tx and put it in a nice box with knobs instead of sticks you may think that I know what I'm doing, unfortunatley I dont. I only know enough to be dangerous, but I am adventurous.... :eek: :happy: :'(