Electrical continuity

Tom

Registered
10 Mar 2011
Ipswich
Best answers
Every year I seem to have to relay sections of track because when the loco meets these sections, the power drops dramatically. Is there anything I can do to improve and maintain good continuity. We are already using brass joiners and graphite paste.
Many thanks,
Tom

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I use small s/steel self tapping screws. Two to each joiner. An idea Neil came up with. Works fine.

Tom

Registered
10 Mar 2011
Ipswich
Best answers
Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you have a picture of your joiners, or a link to someone's who's done that?
Cheers

Tom

Registered
10 Mar 2011
Ipswich
Best answers
Perfect, thanks :D

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Tom, just in case you missed it in the text, it's best to drill at about 45 degrees and start where the rail web meets the foot. That way you don't have to have the drill right down on the ground and any extra screw length goes under the track where it's not seen and can't foul any wheel flanges.

debbaa0112e5469cb913113fcc1124a5.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
When you put the joiners on use a blob of vaseline, works wonders for the elecy continuity and is impervious to water and cheaper than the LGB stuff

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Tom did not specify which manufacturers track he has.
I have solely Aristo-Craft: which comprises a large circuit with passing loop and a few sidings. The siding are usually dead electrically when not in use.
I have never experienced any electrical continuity issues, in the five years the track has been in use, as the small screws and metal rail joiners maintain good contact. I check periodically to ensure that the screws are still tight.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, remember them? A number of garden railroaders solder jumpers at each and every rail joint. It's hard work but well worth the effort.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Madman said:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, remember them? A number of garden railroaders solder jumpers at each and every rail joint. It's hard work but well worth the effort.

Maybe a job to do but damned good practise I would think....and use lead free solder it dosent corrode away in the weather....

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
This is a very interesting thing (thread?), along with Neil's reference to the earlier er thing. I don't have electrical breaks but do suffer from the voltage drop syndrome. At present all I have is just the fishplate connections but I think what I will try is the self tapping screw without wire to begin with. The screws easily available are 10 mil by 3.5 mil, and they look suitable. The big problem though is how to fit them. We are talking about a layout which is well bedded in, and the thought of lifting track to do the job frightens me. Look at the two pics. How the heck am I going to get a drill and screwdriver in there?
01fcb53771014616a3cdcb82f59116b6.jpg

42e3c4f94fbe4b80aaa2d608c81245cd.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As Neil suggests in his post No.6? I tried lifting the track a little and tilting so I could drill it. I have one of those "Dremmel" type things but the easiest is to drill into the corner of the web.

Mick

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Yes it's going to be a bit of a suck it an see thing Mick. I have got a pal who has got a flexi thing which goes between the chuck and the drill bit, haven't seen it yet so not sure how it works. Possibly as you suggest drilling at an angle of about 45 degrees into the base of the fishplate might work

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I see that Neil in his earlier post had in fact done just that, saves the screw ends protruding into the track, he does a good illustration.

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi,

Sorry to throw my tuppence into the mix but I really must sing the praises of railclamps from guys like Hillmans. I know they might not be the cheapest option, that is certain, but they really have made a massive difference on our line when we started slowly changing most of our old LGB style railjoiners. The can also be used for power connections too, as eye hole solder tabs can be connected onto the screw terminals. The following few photos show how we used Hillman clamps on a fairly new section of track that had a massoth reverse loop module and switch decoder hooked up. The track will be painted on this section which will help blend in the clamps, when we can get round to it!

Thanks,
All the best,
Gavin

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Sorry, can't seem to find the image upload bit that used to appear?

G

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Select the paperclip on the taskbar and proceed as before

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Apologies, stupid me! Thanks very much!

Here are the photos. The first shows the location of the boxes next to the track, the second shows the difference after a little scenic detail! The final shows the clamps where the rails join. (The small half sized clamps are the power outputs to the DCC modules:

590ea2a709354bf293a3ab319b464fd7.jpg

0a75f7a2960b474cbd4aa6751024ef38.jpg

b7eb659ea07c4e0dba4be6ff7a31c0dc.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've used a few of the power connector clamps.
My only concerns about using rail clamps throughout is the problem of expansion with temperature variation - doesn't clamping mean you've effectively made very long continuous lengths and the rail's got nowhere to go as it expands?

My own line has the track secured to wooden frames (screwed through the sleepers), but I leave the rail joiners as-is, so that the rail can move a little if it wants to. No jumper wires needed. A small amount of graphite paste in each joiner to keep the water out (not for any electrical conductivity properties as none of the pastes I've sampled have shown any noticeable conductivity).

tram47

train , billard
8 Jan 2010
Lot & Garonne (47) France
Best answers
in france :