ECR G scale

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As Rhino says not a fan either, and for smaller gauges used omega loops on all my motorised points, if you make them yourself the grade of metal is important, for them both to work and not fracture.
Yeah, originally omega loops were just there to handle any excess throw in the lever, not necessarily to allow trailing push through.

One of the reasons that I'm not a fan of pushing through is that we don't use scale weight ................... and there's an interesting discussion topic :nerd::nerd:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Hm not actually so, there are or were many installations of sprung points on BR single line Railways. Even including facing point locking, fiendishly clever those BR Signalling guys were.
Remember your post about blown "thing" across the Neqida motor you had on test? Attached a pic showing that it is actually an electrolytic capacitor and abviously not meant to have reverse voltage across it! they are polarised! that explains it. First thing I did was snip mine off... Now struggling to find out what current/voltage the motor is as the train came with a 6 battery pack inside the boiler.

Attachments

• Newqida motor.jpg
    Newqida motor.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Attached a pic showing that it is actually an electrolytic capacitor and obviously not meant to have reverse voltage across it! they are polarised! that explains it.
Silly question but how do go in reverse!

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Silly question but how do go in reverse!
Train goes forward +ve train goes backwards -ve... But I've just discovered it's supposed to be a "no polarity" capacitor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Remember your post about blown "thing" across the Neqida motor you had on test? Attached a pic showing that it is actually an electrolytic capacitor and abviously not meant to have reverse voltage across it! they are polarised! that explains it. First thing I did was snip mine off... Now struggling to find out what current/voltage the motor is as the train came with a 6 battery pack inside the boiler.
Mine cane with NiCad 7.2 I think, my testing was with an 18v Battery and my Battery DCC setup testing rig. I was careful not to shove Max Speed into the thing During testing and load was only the wagin carrying the battery and test rig.

It depends very much on what you intend to do with it. I would think that a 12v supply would not hurt it so long as you are not shoving max volts (max speed if you like) or pulling massive trains that would likely up the amps.

If you are going to put any RC into it you could minimise the volts by CV if DCC or by Output with a Deltang setup. Not sure if this would help with the amps if you shoved a big heavy load behind it. Some other bright person will no doubt comment on that statement. Also as these locs have plastic wheels, lightweight and cheep build I would be tempted to use it on lightweight Trains. Though a consist of same build wagons or coaches unmodified as supplied would probably be fine in a largish consist as they are as light as a feather.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mine cane with NiCad 7.2 I think, my testing was with an 18v Battery and my Battery DCC setup testing rig. I was careful not to shove Max Speed into the thing During testing and load was only the wagin carrying the battery and test rig.

Err..
The OUTPUT to the engine would be a PWM signal, so variable-width pulses of full 18V (if using straight RC output). It would be more, if using a decoder's DCC output.
The motor would be fine, for the duration of a short (no pun) test, but obviously the non-polarised capacitor did not like it.

PhilP.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I read some where it was a 10v motor, I have used 12v batteries in some of mine with no problem