EASTER 2020 MODEL RAILWAY SHOW at TAITA GORGE RAILWAY

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0846 - Copy.JPG

What with everything being cancelled around the place, and in order to remain sane, I'm running a Model Railway Exhibition at the Taita Gorge Garden Railway this weekend. Free entry, free beer.
Of course, with the lockdown, I am fully expecting a zero attendance for this event.

First up, a bit of publicity, never hurts, and the 7/8ths Critter getting ready to venture forth outdoors.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0847.JPG

First up, is the award winning Haywards Estate Railway in Gn15. Few of the Harley boys have evaded the check point (yes, there is one up the road) to social distance themselves at Haywards.

DSC_0848.JPG

Waddayamean there's a 6 month extension granted for rego on the bike, it's never been registered yet, and isolation, no one's been here for years.

DSC_0849.JPG

Essential service, trains may run.
Well, that's the last of the Gn15 on show.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0850.JPG

Staying in one's bubble, Sn3½ style.
Now, the closing credits...

DSC_0851.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Day 1 of the show has gone off, as planned. No visitors.
Hope you are enjoying this 'virtual' show.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Gavin, thoroughly enjoyable show, well done that man.

Smitten by the Haywards Estate Railway in Gn15, any further info or links on its inception and build?

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin, thoroughly enjoyable show, well done that man.

Smitten by the Haywards Estate Railway in Gn15, any further info or links on its inception and build?

Check out the Gnatterbox section on Gn15.info, or just Google Haywards Estate Railway.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Check out the Gnatterbox section on Gn15.info, or just Google Haywards Estate Railway.
Be warned Gnatterbox is quite addictive and seriously injurious of any intentions of not diverting ones resources to anothr layout.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't you just hate those layouts, at exhibitions, where nothing moves for a-g-e-s!? :p;)

Thanks for taking the time, to blow the dust off, and set this up.. :):clap::clap:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Don't you just hate those layouts, at exhibitions, where nothing moves for a-g-e-s!? :p;)

Thanks for taking the time, to blow the dust off, and set this up.. :):clap::clap:

With 55 years in the exhibition game, I have well learned that folks want to be entertained by a layout, that means action.
In a word, that means 'roundy roundy'..... set and forget, you get the picture. The purist shunting type layout is just that, for the purists (save it for club events).
I see too, that the modular crowds have finally discovered 'table top' presentation at long last. I've been through all the 'current trends' with modules, and long ago settled on organizer supplied standard tables, works both ways, I never tend to get rejections because of layout shape/size... just give me 6 (or how many) standard tables, I'll fill 'em, you can place them any way you want.
If it takes me more than 10 minutes to set up or dismantle at a show, then I'm too slow. That's for 5 layouts altogether, by the way. The one exception to the 10 minute rule, was the time I built, from scratch, at the venue, a Garden Railway.... that took about 30 minutes to build, and an hour to clean up afterwards. Most of that time was shovelling up the bark chips, and vacuuming the floor

DSC_0746 - Copy.JPG

I'd had this idea for some time, and decided to give it a go. I bought my own piece of carpet to lay it on, because, often, venues have wooden floors, and more often sports court markings (this venue acually carpets over to protect those floors). Track was put together by a 5 year old (that's his dad's 7/8ths stuff on the table). Two bags of bark chip formed the base scenery, the greenry was just some green stuff from the garden, and the structures 'borrowed from Taita Gorge'. I used battery power. The Coors wagon has a total of 14V packed in it, and the yellow car has the Basic Train Engineer receiver in it. Ran all day on one charge.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Day 2 of the Easter 2020 show has gone off with record equalling attendance, again.
A general tidy up has resulted in some long lost finds, and a finally throw things away event.... the wheelie bin is getting good use.
Easter Bunny tomorrow, and the weather is due to pack it in, which may impact on the outdoors part of the show.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
What a great show! Glad to have been part of the crowd. Can you do it again next year?;)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
What a great show! Glad to have been part of the crowd. Can you do it again next year?;)

You arrange the lockdown, I'll arrange the show.... we can go 50/50.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely brilliant Gavin. I’m glad you weren’t trampled into the dust by the hoards of non existent visitors. According to the “Universal Blurb” it was the most exciting thing to happen, ever.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Stumps, ...and Time Gentlemen, please. Three days, that makes it a First Class fixture.
Thank you all for your attendance that was not an attendance, absolutely no visitors.