pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Ha! The overseas contingent has signed too (although I had a problem with the boats photo) :rolleyes:

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Signed

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Ditto

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
One of the local MP's (or rather MHK's) has tabled an Emergency motion about the closure which is supposed to be debated by Tynwald sometime today.
Something may happen, but I doubt it.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe those members who use social media would be willing to spread word of the petition on there too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all you guys n gals that are signing the petition, if they get enough signatures perhaps things may change. We can but hope and sign sign sign!
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just received an email from Friends of...

The horse tramway will feature in an episode of Countryfile (BBC 1, 7.00pm, Sunday 26th February). The email promises some very interesting news!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for mentioning that, Mick. It led me to visit my webmail page and find that, as usual, it had gone to spam!

I wonder what the exciting news is? I know that there had been plans to end the tramway part way along the Promenade, but the was rejected by The Tynwald, although only a single track would be maintained beyond a certain point, and I'd be surprised if the announcement were for it to be double track all he way.

The other possibility is news about the stables which were up for sale I believe.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Spoiler alert: don't read on if you want to see the surprise news on the telly!

But my hunch is...

I have just returned from a few days on the Island, which included an evening with a well-informed local enthusiast. The rumour is that the horse trams will be double track from Derby Castle down to the Villa Marina, and single from there to the Sea Terminal. There also seem to be plans to install overhead electrics and run the MER down to the Villa Marina. The stable building is not in a good state though.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Spoiler alert: don't read on if you want to see the surprise news on the telly!

But my hunch is...

I have just returned from a few days on the Island, which included an evening with a well-informed local enthusiast. The rumour is that the horse trams will be double track from Derby Castle down to the Villa Marina, and single from there to the Sea Terminal. There also seem to be plans to install overhead electrics and run the MER down to the Villa Marina. The stable building is not in a good state though.

A summary of what has been agreed at the latest meeting on 17th January of The Tynwald can be found here:

http://www.friendsofdbht.org/home/news/tynwaldvotestoretainfull-lengthtramway

Presumably, what is to be announced is something additional to this.

Last edited:

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Signed.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
But more to the point has anyone been able to articulate a G scale horse to look like its pulling a G scale Horse tram?

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
But more to the point has anyone been able to articulate a G scale horse to look like its pulling a G scale Horse tram?

Yes. Just have to find the photo, but a guy called Kerry Willard had one running at Rail-Ex 2017 in NZ,

Edit. Can't find/didn't save the pic, but take my word for it. Legs didn't move very much, but the horse was motorised.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sooooo this would mean that Our Aussie Granite Island horse tramway is probably the last in continuous service. We also have the only Purrey Steam tram in the world too.... We colonials are looking up.
/http://horsedrawntram.com.au/
https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/videos/purrey-steam-tram/18385/

The Douglas Horse Tramway has just published it's summer timetable and here's a link to the Friends of Douglas Bay Horse Tramway. Certainly not closing and so still the oldest in the world I think.

http://www.friendsofdbht.org/home/news

Reactions: 1 user