American style feed and grain false front store in the style of Tom Muella

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
MY latest effort. Man detail accessories are becoming scarce. I picked through some of my old stuff .
i believe if you double click on the photo, it will enlarge and you can see stuff better.
After my last building thread, i thought id be sure to have the obligatory dog....art mimics life....this fellow has an English Mastiff.! Actually he has 1, i have 2!
Like me, im sure he has slobber on his pants....but thats a good thing,

Curved cornice and dental trim was a lot more effort thatn i had anticipated, getting the curve to adhere tightly, and the dental to meet "in quarter" if you will, LOL, ie tooth to tooth.

I stain with paint pigment, fix, wash with wall paint color, paint trim with a stronger wash, then use meths and india ink, which wreaks havoc on the washes leaving a weathered look. then i seal again.

While not typically a red and white kinda guy, (white is always safe, but boring) i had a hard time envisioning a plausible scheme, and didnt feel like doing it twice....i had thought mustard/tan walls and olive trim, but decided that might be too urban....dunno, tiswhutitis....

while in the Colorado mining mountain towns some rather wild and sometimes unattractive paint schemes appear on buildings, sometimes a modern interpretation of old schemes and hues, i find when i do this, they simply dont translate, even if there is a prototype…

Sign light
works...photos reveal i need to attend to the roof and porch edge coloring. Perhaps that sign needs a similar surround to the cornice…would be a pita…

checkerboard was a challenge. i painted the lines using india ink that flowed into the line engraving/relief, then painted each square....oyy.

IMG_1372.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_1373.JPG

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_1374.JPG

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
After several weeks of zero or sub zero weather, (which gave me the opportunity to wear my stoopid canadian style fur hat with ear flaps for my daily walks, as well as impetus to build this) today, its 70, sunny, and all the ice and snow are melting.

I just plopped this down in a spot conducive to take a few pics. It will be relocated at some point to a more suitable locale.Also conduit for the lighting wires will be added, and perhaps, at some point , a lighted interior.

A neat trick i am working on it using Ozar Miniature lantern tops, onto a 5mm flame flickering LED, top cut off the be flat to accept the cast lantern chimney and handle, then set onto a washer for a lantern base, all on top of a large barrel drilled through for the LED wires. ive made one so far and its pretty cool. It may end up on the back porch , as i am having fits finding appropriate building lights. Perhaps a simple bare bulb over or to the side the door???
IMG_1375.JPG
I

Last edited:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yes,like that very much, nice one Steve :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::cool:

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice building and detail, perhaps a step or two to get up to front porch.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Once i place it it will have steps.otherwise they protrude and are subkect to knocks as well as making a larger footprint when stored.