dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sad but hardly surprising. Douglas Council have been eying the old Depot Site for Years to redevelop. No doubt at a cost of Millions that will never be recovered. It is what Councils do to make it look like they are bothered whilst cutting essential Services that People need and things (Horse Tramway, Electric Trams, Steam Railway what next) that will matter in the long run. I speak with current experience of Council matters in my home Town.
JonD

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Another decision by accountants rather than commonsense. Doesn't the council realise that the IoM and Douglas get a lot of income from touris and the horse drawn trams are one attraction for tourists? The loss per year on the horse drawn trams is rather less than the cost of administering the council's executive committee.

Notice, too, the thanks for the long-standing commitment of the staff - no commitment by the council to the staff though!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I must be really dense, I never realised that horses rode in trams....

David

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Or that the horse was named Douglas.
Another thought, the IOM will now have to import more manure. Bet the council didn't think of that part of Doug's productivity.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Most councils produce enough 'manure' in their meetings, I reckon??
:rolleyes:;):rofl::rofl:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, township councils do have a way of making it look like they are actually earning their pay.....:speechless:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Having travelled in one of those at the front I can confirm that they would not be a popular choice for Smelly Vision. It is a wonder those horses don't float away! :mask::mask::mask:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Douglas Council is composed of the usual second and third raters, plus some who think they know about business and some Daily Mail readers. In an ideal world they wouldn't be in charge of a whelk stall. They must realise that the old bucket-and-spade tourist business is dead and that if visitors are to contine to provide part of their income and generate enough money to allow the aged and run down B+B buildings to be rebuilt they have to go up-market and attract the discretionary short break tourists; St Ives has done it and Blackpool is trying. This means that they must emphasise everything that is different about the IOM andsupport its 'quirkiness'. Supporting the railways and tramways, plus the mining heritage and even the motorsport are part of that. The quaret of a million or so that the horse trams cost is peanuts; I suspect that the Council wants to get its hands on the Tram Depot site for 'redevelopment', not realising that the Depot and stables could be a visitor attraction. I also supect that the Council hope that the Manx goverment will take over the Horse Trams as part of Manx Railways andrelieve the Council of the cost. What a sad bunch they are

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Most councilors (maybe, politicians) have the vision of a middle-aged shopkeeper and are happy to follow the advice of accountants who are afraid of figures printed in red.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Douglas Council is composed of the usual second and third raters, plus some who think they know about business and some Daily Mail readers. In an ideal world they wouldn't be in charge of a whelk stall. They must realise that the old bucket-and-spade tourist business is dead and that if visitors are to contine to provide part of their income and generate enough money to allow the aged and run down B+B buildings to be rebuilt they have to go up-market and attract the discretionary short break tourists; St Ives has done it and Blackpool is trying. This means that they must emphasise everything that is different about the IOM andsupport its 'quirkiness'. Supporting the railways and tramways, plus the mining heritage and even the motorsport are part of that. The quaret of a million or so that the horse trams cost is peanuts; I suspect that the Council wants to get its hands on the Tram Depot site for 'redevelopment', not realising that the Depot and stables could be a visitor attraction. I also supect that the Council hope that the Manx goverment will take over the Horse Trams as part of Manx Railways andrelieve the Council of the cost. What a sad bunch they are
Two thumbs up from me. Actually six thumbs up as my parents go there regularly.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Morons - the lot of them! Even if they had kept the horse-drawn tramway, they had plans to ruin it with a "remodelled" track layout. Why does everything have to cost millions? If common sense - instead of PC, HSE, Greed, Consultants, Brainless Idiots, Morally Bankrupt, Self Interest and, complete A=======s - then maybe the world would get somewhere.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Got that right Mick, CONSULTANTS the people that those in power use at great cost so that they can absolve themselves of Blame. As in 'Well our Consultants reported that bla bla bla'.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to recall that Blackpool once contemplated getting rid of it's trams, but fortunately they saw the error of their ways before it was too late.
The current latest noncence with Blackpool is to close the Fleetwood End. This because of cuts is paid for by a different Local Authority that is only interested in Lancaster. You could not make this up, specially after a Big Expensive Makeover. Link to a News Report on this.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n.../tramway-threat-in-budget-proposals-1-7576382

Sorry do not wish to Hijack Thread but as Blackpool was mentioned, this also illustrates the nonsense that is going on.
JonD

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It could be said that Councils are going completely off the rails....

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Blackpool / Fleetwood..
Was it not a case of no trams running last 'Tram Sunday'?

A little like building a station to serve the Ricoh Arena, and then not letting 'trains' stop there on match days!!
* one 75 seater vehicle, does not a train make..
Why not add a couple of carriages if they think it will be crowded on match days??

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Got that right Mick, CONSULTANTS the people that those in power use at great cost so that they can absolve themselves of Blame. As in 'Well our Consultants reported that bla bla bla'.
JonD

"Those who can't, consult. Those who can, do."

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Morons - the lot of them! Even if they had kept the horse-drawn tramway, they had plans to ruin it with a "remodelled" track layout. Why does everything have to cost millions? If common sense - instead of PC, HSE, Greed, Consultants, Brainless Idiots, Morally Bankrupt, Self Interest and, complete A=======s - then maybe the world would get somewhere.

Something in your post reminded me of a line a "Madam" used in "True Detective". Woody Harrelson was trying to admonish her for having an under age girl in her employ. She came back with something like, "If you guys can't control it, you want to prosecute it".

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag