'Doing' a Claribel!

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
So I am in the process of altering a Claribel... Firstly I got one cheap(er) off Ebay. The nose was filed off as were the roof vents (Incorrect positions...). The four wheels struggled round my curves so bogies were purchased and installed. I have now commenced on the interior (none present when bought). A prototype lighting circuit has been created from 4 LEDs and an old phone battery.
What is the best way to sort the roof out?
Dremmeling the vents off has left it uneven - but better than I was expecting!
Shall I skin it over with a layer of thin plasticard or try filling then painting? See pics...

Attachments

• DSC04670.JPG
    DSC04670.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04673.JPG
    DSC04673.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04675.JPG
    DSC04675.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04676.JPG
    DSC04676.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04678.JPG
    DSC04678.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
I have collected a few from old phones (thrown in a drawer!!) Sometimes they need an old phone to revive them initially but then the trusty Imax B6 takes over and keeps them in order. I calculated that the run time for the circuit shown was over 100 hrs!!!

Attachments

• DSC04680.JPG
    DSC04680.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04681.JPG
    DSC04681.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 0

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Some have said it needs covering with fabric... I have some plastic soft packaging which kinda looks the part (I think). Any ideas about this???DSC04682.JPG

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Back on the battery issue - these Mobile phone batteries are LI-ION batteries and must be treated with care - do not attempt to charge them with anything other than a good quality LI-ION charger (not just a NiMH or NiCD charger)..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
And a charger appropriate for the number of cells and current.

I would not use that foam for the roof, I think it might react to the paint, and also, while you will paint it, UV may eventually get through and break it down.

Greg

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
And a charger appropriate for the number of cells and current.

I would not use that foam for the roof, I think it might react to the paint, and also, while you will paint it, UV may eventually get through and break it down.

Greg
Thanks for that - it was just an idea!!!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Some have said it needs covering with fabric... I have some plastic soft packaging which kinda looks the part (I think). Any ideas about this???View attachment 248959

I think that would work quite well and if UV is an issue cover it up when not in use or take it indoors.

I used a type of fabric that ladies use to line skirts it is very light.
I glued it down with a spray adhesive on a plastic roof and diluted PVA glue on a balsa wood roof then coated it with about 4 coats of paint. The effect was to simulate the canvas coated wooden roofs that were the norm in Aust for a fairly long time.
My trains are only outside in the sun while running and are stored indoors to avoid UV damage as the UV index where I live is in the extreme range for most of the year.

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
I think that would work quite well and if UV is an issue cover it up when not in use or take it indoors.

I used a type of fabric that ladies use to line skirts it is very light.
I glued it down with a spray adhesive on a plastic roof and diluted PVA glue on a balsa wood roof then coated it with about 4 coats of paint. The effect was to simulate the canvas coated wooden roofs that were the norm in Aust for a fairly long time.
My trains are only outside in the sun while running and are stored indoors to avoid UV damage as the UV index where I live is in the extreme range for most of the year.
Thanks for that also!
UV will not be an issue but it has to look 'right'. My wife has some of the material you describe so will try it in the next few days....

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
You could use a wet and dry paper for your roof - looks very much like canvas when painted.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
First for the roof I would fill the holes with a 2 part putty, car body filler or some such would be the choice as it sands nice and smooth. I personally like to use a non-ribbed or designed Kitchen Roll to cover after that. Flooded with some liquid plastic type of glue applied with a brush, when dry and be solid. You can use a Fine File to clean off the edges quite happily. Do this in a well ventilated place, better outside if you can. Finally a spray with your selected Roof Colour and it will look fine. If the Towel is a bit short make up from 3 pieces with short Ridge Joins, this would be quite prototypical for roof covering.

I have a latent interest in Gauge 3. That looks like a suitable Light Railway Coach with Bogies, Thomas Kit is about the right Size for G3 and your conversion has given me a few ideas!

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
First for the roof I would fill the holes with a 2 part putty, car body filler or some such would be the choice as it sands nice and smooth. I personally like to use a non-ribbed or designed Kitchen Roll to cover after that. Flooded with some liquid plastic type of glue applied with a brush, when dry and be solid. You can use a Fine File to clean off the edges quite happily. Do this in a well ventilated place, better outside if you can. Finally a spray with your selected Roof Colour and it will look fine. If the Towel is a bit short make up from 3 pieces with short Ridge Joins, this would be quite prototypical for roof covering.

I have a latent interest in Gauge 3. That looks like a suitable Light Railway Coach with Bogies, Thomas Kit is about the right Size for G3 and your conversion has given me a few ideas!
I searched out the Claribel because it looked UK outline but needed some work to Anglicise it further! Will have a go at filling first then take a look at the effect when using Kitchen Roll or Wet and Dry paper. Meanwhile will be working on the interior.. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: 1 user

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
You could use a wet and dry paper for your roof - looks very much like canvas when painted.
Sounds like a plan! Will fill/smooth and then check the effect with wet/dry paper.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Got the look of an LNER coach with its bogies....

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Maybe because of the present colour? Soon to be Carmine! Bogies from ECR (Newquida) with metal wheels - now runs better round the corners and no coupling lock as the couplings follow the track much better. I may need to set them back even further towards the body...

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I am watching this with interest as I am in the process of VERY slowly modifying two of these and an Emily coach to approx GN appearance.
I espcially like the bogie mod..
My next stage is to try to create the teak appearance.
I wasn’t happy with paint applied scumble style but I am about to try wood varnish. The base coat is Wilco cream rattle pot so there ought not to be any reaction between the two.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would try a sample on some scrap to start with..

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am watching this with interest as I am in the process of VERY slowly modifying two of these and an Emily coach to approx GN appearance.
I espcially like the bogie mod..
My next stage is to try to create the teak appearance.
I wasn’t happy with paint applied scumble style but I am about to try wood varnish. The base coat is Wilco cream rattle pot so there ought not to be any reaction between the two.

View attachment 249109
I was at the Gauge 3 Meeting yesterday and there was a guy with a very nice GRS Steam Tram that had been superbly Teake Painted. He used a propriety brand of Model Paint I believe, may be worthwhile looking around and as Philip says experiment first. Sorry the pic not a close up, was about to take one but a family with Ankle Snappers was in the way and you know how some can be about kids in pictures these days. One has to be so careful to avoid any issue of conflict with young Mothers and Dads etc.
69D0FD75-8CDA-4C00-85E3-DA455CE8F9CF.jpeg

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I would try a sample on some scrap to start with..
I am using the redundant clerestory roof from the Emily coach as a practice piece.
A scumble effect would perhaps be good but it is difficult to produce with so many tiny panels.

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was at the Gauge 3 Meeting yesterday and there was a guy with a very nice GRS Steam Tram that had been superbly Teake Painted. He used a propriety brand of Model Paint I believe, may be worthwhile looking around and as Philip says experiment first. Sorry the pic not a close up, was about to take one but a family with Ankle Snappers was in the way and you know how some can be about kids in pictures these days. One has to be so careful to avoid any issue of conflict with young Mothers and Dads etc.
View attachment 249151

I think this may be the same model, if not it's a twin.

David