Dissasembling a HLW Birney tram

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Sweden changed from left to right hand traffic in 1967. In some cases, the need to convert tram doors was the reason to end tram traffic.

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Returning from thread drift now: Sparks, did you manage to neatly open up that tram?

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
Well then, what about the streetcars made where the motorman sits dead center. Who will take credit for that.....:wondering:
Exactly the same problem ( years ago), with my messerschmidt ' bubble' - first time i went to insure it, "left or right hand drive, sir ?"

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly the same problem ( years ago), with my messerschmidt ' bubble' - first time i went to insure it, "left or right hand drive, sir ?"
:D:D:D:D:D

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Returning from thread drift now: Sparks, did you manage to neatly open up that tram?

My apologies work has been a bit busy lately, but I finally got it apart!

Xo7czBy.jpg

This is how it looks now, dissasembled into it's individual parts. Now I just have to work out where to cut!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations!

You have just re-invented the plastic construction kit!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
Whenever I watch a British TV show, I can't stand the way everyone seems to park on the wrong side of the road, i.e on the opposite side to the direction of the traffic!!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Whenever I watch a British TV show, I can't stand the way everyone seems to park on the wrong side of the road, i.e on the opposite side to the direction of the traffic!!
Just seems the natural thing to do :mask::mask::mask: canon to the right, canon to the left, tally-ho :cool::cool:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My pet-hate...
Those who park facing the oncoming traffic, and leave their headlights on.

Reactions: 1 user

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
Have just seen your dis-assembly of the Hartland Birney ! It must have taken a lot of courage to even take the roof off. I look forward to seeing which Australian Birney car you will turn it into.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sweden changed from left to right hand traffic in 1967. In some cases, the need to convert tram doors was the reason to end tram traffic.
I have always thought that we were long overdue the same change. But now that Brexit means Brexit presumably and hopefully we will not / cannot be forced to by the EEC.
JonD

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
You'll have to force yourselves, then.

:)

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
I only want to know what is the status of your "conversion" of the Hartland Birney tram as at the 18th Dedember 2017?

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
I only want to know what is the status of your "conversion" of the Hartland Birney tram as at the 18th Dedember 2017?

Apologies Andrew, my notification for this thread must have broken.

Work has been proceeding, but unfortunately at my usual glacial pace.

I thought at first this was going to be relatively straightfoward, just swap the doors over to the other side right? Not so simple alas... After inspection of the prototype in Bendigo, I noticed that the HLW Birney didn't have the little side window next to the doorway, and didn't have the slightly longer window at each end.

Including these features required the car body side to be cut and rejoined in several places, and new sections spliced in. The windows were modified to suit as well.

22529044_10156640320735278_7451841479839467_o.jpg

Here it is towards the end of 2017, with the car body reassembled after the doorways swapped over to the opposite side. Of course after the modifications the car body was about 12mm longer than before, so a new roof and floor were fabricated to suit.

IMG_9997 (Medium).JPG

IMG_9994 (Medium).JPG
Now in early 2018, new roof and floor fitted, painting is in progress in the SEC green and cream colours.

After the major assemblies are painted there are numerous small details to add, then the electrical fitout of radio gear, motor controller and lighting. All the electrical equipment is waiting to be installed, so hopefully the Birney tram will enter service in only a few more weeks.

Reactions: 6 users

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
To Melbourne sparks:

Thanks for sending those photos of your work on changing a RH side of the road Birney safety car to an Australian LH side of the road Birney car! Your progress is very good, in fact quite commendable. You are a "details" person, and it is better to think things through rather than rushing ahead and making non-reversable mistakes. Awarded a "Highly Commendable"Prize for deconstruction and reconstruction.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
My pet-hate...
Those who park facing the oncoming traffic, and leave their headlights on.

Believe it or not, parking into facing traffic is illegal here in NZ. Coro, and The Bill fans, are soft targets for the traffic cops.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nobody seems to enforce it - but is here too Gavin.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nobody seems to enforce it - but is here too Gavin.
Interestingly, our driving examiners are striking because of a new test schedule. They are expected to ask the learner to park on the off side, then reverse 3 car lengths, before crossing the road to rejoin the correct carriage way. This is obviously not only highly illegal but also very obviously dangerous. The moron who came up with that needs a stern talking to:mad::banghead::swear: