Disappearing private message

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I received a private message on Friday which was notified via the bell symbol rather than the envelope symbol. The sender was asking if I could send him the instructions for the Playmobil Steaming Mary loco. I explained that I didn't own the loco and so couldn't help. Later, I realised that the only instructions as such (as opposed to exploding diagrams) would be the same as for the 4052 loco and messaged him again explaining this and saying I would scan these and send them to him. However, I cannot find the original message nor my replies!

Can anyone help, please?

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Registered
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
I note that if you hover over a name several options appear, one is 'Start chat' and another is 'Start conversation'. Conversations are seen via that envelope but I have no idea where Chats are stored. If it helps, send me a Chat.

Paul

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
I note that if you hover over a name several options appear, one is 'Start chat' and another is 'Start conversation'. Conversations are seen via that envelope but I have no idea where Chats are stored. If it helps, send me a Chat.

Paul
I'll see your Chat and raise you a Consultation

David

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
Chats vanish into thin air. Dunno why. You can't even find them in the activity section of your profile. I try not to use them.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Have you a chit for the chat :)

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I received a private message on Friday which was notified via the bell symbol rather than the envelope symbol. The sender was asking if I could send him the instructions for the Playmobil Steaming Mary loco. I explained that I didn't own the loco and so couldn't help. Later, I realised that the only instructions as such (as opposed to exploding diagrams) would be the same as for the 4052 loco and messaged him again explaining this and saying I would scan these and send them to him. However, I cannot find the original message nor my replies!

Can anyone help, please?
I can't help with the disappearing stuff, but in case the person who wanted them sees this, Someone posted some scans here:
Steaming Mary - paperwork - G Scale Central

I still have the ~30 megabyte pdfs I think I got from you Gordon. There's a color one for the 4034, 4033, 4032, and a black and white one for the 4054. All Steaming Marys.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I've noticed there does not seem to be rhyme or reason to how PM's are listed? - ONCE you have read them..
BUT
If I ''Show all' the most recent appear at the top of the list..

Does this help?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I've noticed there does not seem to be rhyme or reason to how PM's are listed? - ONCE you have read them..
BUT
If I ''Show all' the most recent appear at the top of the list..

Does this help?
As Phil says the ‘show all’ option does indeed show the lot. I have 24 pages worth!

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
As Phil says the ‘show all’ option does indeed show the lot. I have 24 pages worth!
Mmm, and back as far as 2010 ........... with no way to delete them :confused::confused:

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Registered
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
A conversation obviously involves more than one person. I have known forums where a conversation can appear to be deleted but only as far as yourself. The other person or persons can still see it on their computer and it will stay there until they themselves delete it at their end.

Paul

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Yes, I've use the "Show all" option but there is no sign of the message. The oddest thing is that the notification came via the bell symbol and not the envelope symbol. Moreover, the message page had no formatting like the usual pages, just a blank page with the sender's name and the message.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Ah! the 'bell' do-hickey, is obviously something different to the envelope?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Yes, I've use the "Show all" option but there is no sign of the message. The oddest thing is that the notification came via the bell symbol and not the envelope symbol. Moreover, the message page had no formatting like the usual pages, just a blank page with the sender's name and the message.
Just a thought, have you looked at the ‘chat’ archive? Top left of the screen.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I see nothing in the chat archive either, but would think that if he was using chat he would know it, you have to have someone to talk to in chat at the same time.

I think it was a notification that happened, from the statement that it was the bell, not the envelope.

Greg