Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

I'm seeing this thread for the first time. Nice conversion. A quick SUSI question. I've asked this on the site before but never got a clear answer.
It comes with a SUSI cable attached so you just plug it into the XL and away you go
Do you have to do any programming of Uhlenbrock? Set the address, etc.? Or, does the XL over-ride the address setting on the Uhlenbrock sound module?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
No need to program the address on SUSI modules, they get their DCC commands via the motor decoder they are attached to. The motor decoder filters out the commands that are not for the motor address of that loco. You may need to program them to configure the sounds and the function keys that invoke them if you are not happy with defaults. Typically you program them while they are attached to the motor decoder, in service mode (programming track), typically CVs in the range 900-1024, so you need a DCC system that will program that range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Hello

I am aware that this is an old thread, but having read through everyone's advice and comments in the thread, I just wanted to ask a question.

I have just purchased a LGB 21261 (DCC ready I believe). I have also purchased a Masssoth XL decoder and LGB 6 pin wire to connect the board to the new decoder.

• my understanding is that the 6 pin lead fits into a socket in the loco and then the leads connected up to the new XL board.
Is that it? Will the one decoder power both tender and loco without further modification i.e the tender gets all it needs without me having to make modifications to it?

I must admit, I have not yet received the Loco and tender so having read this thread, I guess it could be a very early model(?) which isnt DCC ready?

Oh, what pain! Im new to DCC and G Scale and thought it was more straight forward (banging head on wall)

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Not 100% sure but if it is DCC ready with a 6 pin socket you should be able to do as you suggest and it will drive both the loco and tender motors. The XL manual shows you where the wires go from the yellow/green/white/brown pins and the 6-pin socket.

EDIT This is the picture I was referring to (from XL installation manual):
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Hi - thanks for the replies. I recieved the Massoth emotion XL decoder and the train today. In summary:

1. with the decoder fitted to the loco, the train runs well using DCC
2. This loco is a "plug and play" and has a socket that is meant to allow quick connection (via a 6way cable) between exisiting LGB board and the new decoder, allowing light functions etc to work - THEY DONT. If I wire the lights direct to the new decoder and bypass the LGB board, works fine.
2. with the tender, link cable between loco and tender connected, all dip switches set to off (digital), the tender doesn't work
3. by removing the motor wires from the tender, bypass the LGB board and put straight to the new decoder, both loco and tender work fine

In my limited tests, I have not seen any push / pull between the tender and the loco.

In summary, the "quick" DCC ready socket on the LGB board doesn't seem to talk to the decoder. Not a big hassle as I can just wire lights direct. It looks like the easiest thing to do is remove the LGB boards altogether.

I hope this helps someone searching the internet, like I did, in the future.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you remove the original boards...

Just make sure you adjust the CV's for the voltage dividers for any function outputs you are using.

PhilP

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Having read the LGB user manual for this model (21261) it says:

"Multi-Train System
This model has two "D" gearboxes and two decoder interfaces. It can be equipped with two LGB Multi-Train System Decoders (55020) using two Decoder Interface Cables (55026)."

This means if you wanted to install a decoder using the provided 6 pin interfaces you would need to use two decoders (e.g. Massoth L if you can't find 55020), one in the loco and one in the tender.

So my post #44 was incorrect. I did say I wasn't sure! :)

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thank you for the reply PhilP - this is my first Decoder install so I am learning "on the fly", risky I know with electronics.

I'm googling adjusting CV's for voltage dividers - but being swamped with information. presently the only extra function I would add would be a smoke generator, the original LGB one fitted to the loco. Could you point me in the right direction as to where I would adjust the CV if I connect this to the A1 output?

Also, how do I turn down the voltage to the front and rear lights using CV's?

Im still at a loss why the 6pin "direct" output from the LGB original board did not work. Im guessing the six pin socket is directly connected to the same points on the board as to where the lamps are connected, so in theory it should have worked. a puzzle indeed.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thanks idlemarvel - your reply came in whilst I was typing. Yes I read that as well, but also saw from this thread about using just one emotion xl decoder, so choose that route. The two interface cables seem to be only for the light functions (and smoke gen in the loco), I still have to directly wire pick uups and motor to the new DCC board.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Capture.JPG

I think 3.12 is what I am after for the lights?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If the lights don't work, worst-case, you have blown the bulbs. - The default is full track voltage.

First check CV29 - you want to have the same speed-step setting both in the decoder, and your Central Station.

I don't have a manual handy, but start looking from CV49 onwards, for the divider for lights, and the settings for function output 1.

If the smoke unit sits in the chimney, and has black and white wires, it is a 5V unit. Set the divider to '6' for a start

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Posts have crossed..
You are on the right track..
PhilP

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Much appreciated!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks idlemarvel - your reply came in whilst I was typing. Yes I read that as well, but also saw from this thread about using just one emotion xl decoder, so choose that route. The two interface cables seem to be only for the light functions (and smoke gen in the loco), I still have to directly wire pick uups and motor to the new DCC board.
You are correct, with LGB locos fitted with the 6 pin interface you still need to wire up the track power and motor connections as well. Later on LGB started using a 10 pin interface which included the track and power connections. New LGB locos tend to have decoders fitted (Maerklin) which obviates the need to retrofit a decoder but that is reflected in the price. Very early LGB locos had no allowance at all for DCC so that is usually a re-wire job, occasionally requiring you to open up the motor block and reach for the soldering iron. For all these examples you will find advice and guidance on here, and if you can't find it just ask.

If this is your first foray into G-scale DCC you have handled the more complex use case of two motors and mother boards separated by wires. Future ones should be easier!