dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've done this in most locations where I'm using sectional track. It works great at the speeds I run, a scale 70kph max at 1:22.5. The R5 lead-in eases LGB 4-axle passenger and freight wagons into the curve. They no longer appear to be suddenly jerked into the turn! Note that the appearance of being jerked is lessened by running at slower speeds and running shorter wagons. Below are pics of a couple of examples. In most spots I use a full R5 (15º) section. I used half (7.5º) sections of R5 as a lead-in to the R3s in my tunnel.

View attachment 288285.View attachment 288286

Edit added - 1 1/2 sections of LGB R5 (15º + 7.5º of circle) are equivalent to one section of LGB R3 (22.5º of circle) if you're doing 45º, 90º,135º, or 180º turns.
This solution is if you can and have the space always the best, a train running into a Transition Curve (starts big radius and gets smaller then eases out back to the big radius before end of the curve) is always going to be a better bet.

As for belly curving, well yes many have success with it but the results can sometimes lead to unwanted sharp bits sometimes worse than R1, but often a Transition will be created as it is not easy to make the curve even without a rail bender.

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
For those who want to make a nice track:
The curve that usually is used when a road or rail track changes in direction is called a "Clotoide".
The idea is that one starts on the straight track with an infinite bending radius and gradually
turns in to the bend by reducing the bending radius (by turning your steering wheel).
This is done over a length L and the final bending radius is R.
I found some formulas to calculate the x,y coordinates of such a track length with final bending radius R.
I tried to attach the excel file but that did not work.
So attached a pdf file of the excel file as impression.
The excel file generates x,y for 10 points and also a graph of the clotoide bend.
The only input to be done is L and R.
Send me an email if you are interested and i will mail you the excell file.

Gerard

Attachments

• Clotoïde.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's very useful Gérard

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Also known better as a Euler sprial to us in the mathematics field, He introduced many current notations, such as Σ for the sum; the symbol e for the base of natural logarithms; a, b and c for the sides of a triangle and A, B, and C for the opposite angles; the letter f and parentheses for a function; and i for Square root of√−1.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Also known better as a Euler sprial to us in the mathematics field, He introduced many current notations, such as Σ for the sum; the symbol e for the base of natural logarithms; a, b and c for the sides of a triangle and A, B, and C for the opposite angles; the letter f and parentheses for a function; and i for Square root of√−1.

Greg
So he's the one who made the difficult subject even more confusing

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
So he's the one who made the difficult subject even more confusing
I'll just stick to the normal cubic spiral thanks, with the transition bisecting, and being bisected by, the offset. (Look it up).

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'll just stick to the normal cubic spiral thanks, with the transition bisecting, and being bisected by, the offset. (Look it up).
Nope, I'm going live my life in perfectly formed ignorance :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, the great British invention, PECO Setrack (and earlier derivatives).
Can't possibly be British, too easy. Us British like to make things as difficult as possible

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Can't possibly be British, too easy. Us British like to make things as difficult as possible
Thought you left that trait behind with the Raj.... just been trying to figure out some of their signalling logic.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
D minus, I've managed to explain the Laws of Cricket, to an American..... took till 3 in the morning, that didn't worry me, I was 'on the clock', night shift on Control.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you secure a length of flexi, to your straight track, grab the other end and form the beginnings of your curve..
It will tend to form a transition curve naturally..
Simmples... :nerd::cool::)

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've managed to explain the Laws of Cricket, to an American
What, there are laws to cricket, next you will be saying there are rules as well ;)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
100's, wearing coloured pyjama's, playing with anything other than a red ball! Bah! Mutter, mutter! Shake head, and 'tut' a lot..

Now, where is my tweed jacket? The one with the leather elbow patches..
:rolleyes::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
What, there are laws to cricket, next you will be saying there are rules as well ;)
Rules? Wrong game, Rules are for Australian Football. Matter of fact, got a piece of paper somewhere that says I know them, well, at least did know them when I took the exam.... still got the old Acme Thunderer tucked away in my sports bag. Clocked up a few air miles on that sport.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
100's, wearing coloured pyjama's, playing with anything other than a red ball! Bah! Mutter, mutter! Shake head, and 'tut' a lot..

Now, where is my tweed jacket? The one with the leather elbow patches..
:rolleyes::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Like to borrow my red and yellow tie? Sorry, you can't, I don't have one, because I'm not a 'Member'....

DSCF3471.JPG

.... but that didn't stop me getting into Lords. Rain, of course, has stopped play.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Difference in tracks to the rules of cricket, I suppose there's some sort of connection. Slips perhaps? :rofl:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Derailment (at speed) on a curve:

Silly Mid-Off :)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Derailment (at speed) on a curve:

Silly Mid-Off :)
Breaching hours of service, ... Long On.
Tight turnout, ....Short Point.
Taupaulin, ..... Cover.
Storeman, ... Keeper.
Complicated turnouts, ...Slips.
Under the bridge, ...Gully.
Tutor driver, ...Third Man.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Like to borrow my red and yellow tie? Sorry, you can't, I don't have one, because I'm not a 'Member'....

View attachment 288358

.... but that didn't stop me getting into Lords. Rain, of course, has stopped play.

And, just sometimes. you'll see as many as a hundred people there....