Difference between Massoth and Piko DCC system?

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
all kinds of differences, limitations in the piko unit, and I seem to remember the handsets are not lighted.

you should email me... Massoth in the US is not what I would recommend unless you want to spend a lot of money or have locos that use 14 speed steps or serial functions, or you want to use their specific features... I'm reading between the lines here, if you are considering the Piko system, then you are most likely trying to save a few $$.... don't do that, if you want to save money but have a full featured system, get the NCE, if you don't care how much you spend, get a Zimo like me. If you are sold on the Massoth, get it, not the dumbed down version...

I'm sure I'm going to start a firestorm, but Massoth support here is not great.

Greg

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
you're pretty much correct in your assessment. I'll send you an email. As far as support goes I was thinking I might be able to make do calling up Germany over the phone (I speak German fluently) if I end up going with Massoth. But I don't know how realistic that is.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I might be able to make do calling up Germany over the phone

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Though, having German, will be a big advantage over Luddites like me!

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
The Piko handset is lighted when you switch on.
Then you don't need to phone to Germany as you have a very pleasant and expert person in Piko in San Diego : Jonathan Meador. Head of Piko America Service Department.
If you are not already aware of that he is doing a Piko America you tube channel with a lot of videos.

I have the Piko handset with wifi function. I am very pleased by that even if I stay for the time being with analog control. ( Possibly 5% of the total capability of the Piko unit !!!)
I am not an expert and I am totally sure I will not have problem with the Piko DCC when (and if ) I go to DCC on my 2 Piko locomotives.
I feel from the various posts it is not the most sophisticated system possibly but it works.

Reactions: 1 user

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, I know I am a little late but wanted to share my experiences. I tried the old LGB MTS II parallel system about 10 years ago and I sold it. Did not like the way digital performed back then. Ran kind of jerky, the speed steps were not smooth like Analog was. I met Mohammad "all about LGB" at a train show and he was operating a Piko Central Station but using a Massoth Navigator with it. He explained it to me about the advantages of the Massoth Navigator vs the Piko and the price was not that much more. I test ran it. Wow, what a difference in performance vs MTSII. I did not want to spend a lot of money until I had some time to try it. I am so glad I went that way. Now all I have to do is upgrade the Central station if I build a huge layout but for now, this set up is what I use with very satisfactory results on a small to medium size layout....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
he was operating a Piko Central Station but using a Massoth Navigator with it. He explained it to me about the advantages of the Massoth Navigator vs the Piko and the price was not that much more. ...

Does this combination permit the use of the higher (F17 to F28) functions of the Massoth navigator?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
In terms of basic running, there should have been no difference between the 2 systems, I suspect the difference you experience was either power levels, or between 14 speed steps and 28 and or 128.

Greg

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Their are many options in DCC now. I wish I could try them all but funds are limited. I can only share my experiences with what I have tried. I use my Massoth Wireless Navigator with a Massoth RC Receiver to mainly control my Piko Central Station. I recently purchased an LGB MTS3 Central Station which the Massoth Navigator & RC receiver will operate as well. I also from time to time use the navigator & receiver as a remote controller for Analog via an LGB 51070 Throttle. Two things worth mentioning. The Piko Central Station will not run a reverse loop module. It will keep tripping the stop feature but is excellent for Programming on the Main. The MTS3 will work fine with a reverse loop module but won't allow programming on the Main.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
In the US, we have more options on reverse loop modules, which can be set so as not to "disturb" the command station. Between the DCC specialties and the Tam Valley stuff, no issues.

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
In the US, we have more options on reverse loop modules, which can be set so as not to "disturb" the command station. Between the DCC specialties and the Tam Valley stuff, no issues.

Greg

Using a Massoth (or, I think, a newer LGB) reverse-loop module with the "sensor track" sections, surely it should work fine? It would only trip the CS out if using an older LGB type, or a Massoth one in "short-circuit" mode?

Jon.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have been trying to figure out the differences between the true Massoth DCC system, and the PIKO version which seems to be very similar. I called a few stores and cant seem to get a clear answer. Anyone happen to know?

Examples:
AllAboutLGB: Massoth DCC Starter Set
vs
Piko G Scale Complete Digital System (Manufactured by Massoth for Piko)

I have both the Massoth and Piko Central Stations, started out first with the Piko unit, using the Massoth DiMax Navigator on both. First, the Massoth unit can go up to 12 amps power output......the Piko 5 amps max. But you can hook up one or more Piko Booster units to the Piko Central Station, all powered by their own 5 amp power supplies, to accommodate very large track layouts. Also, the Piko unit has no PC hookup operations control like the Massoth unit. I'm not an expert in the two units, but Mohammed at AllAboutLGB.com is an expert and the prime Massoth dealer now in the USA. He's the person who introduced me to DCC systems when I visited him in Baltimore about four years ago. As he said, once you experience DCC control of your locomotives, you'll never go back to DC power........and boy was he correct! I use the Piko unit primarily now to power my decoder programming track, although I've also run it with one booster unit to power my outdoor layout. Both the Massoth and Piko units can program 14, 28 or 128 speed steps. I do like and recommend Massoth and the Piko DCC systems. In case you're not aware, Massoth made all the DC power sysems, locomotive circuit boards, sound units, and then later the DCC system and decoders and sound units for the original LGB company (Ernst Paul Lehmann Patenwerk) until the company went bankrupt and was bought in 2006 by Marklin Germany. I like the Massoth decoders much better than the hybrid mfx/dcc/dc decoder technology now being used by Marklin in their LGB locomotives. There can be technical complications between the unique mfx technology v. the standard NMRA DCC technology when trying to program these decoders.

Technical questions about the Piko Central Station and their Piko Navigator controller can be sent to Piko America by email or telephone which are listed on their Piko America San Diego CA Website.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users