Dietz Decoders - any experiences of them?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi folks. I notice that the Train Line Harz Mallet planned for 2012 will have a Dietz decoder as its factory-fitted DCC option. Does anyone have any experience with Dietz decoders? I know Philbahn had one in a Swizz electric as we corresponded on the Forum about it, but that was a rather older model than those Dietz now supply.

Any help gratefully received!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe Glendale can help, I believe they are the UK importers for Dietz.

I've used the Dietz SUSI sound decoders, microSX and XclusivS (I think these are the names will double check when I get home - shouldn't be doing this from work I know!). All I can say is that they did what they said on the tin. There were no English instructions, but I downloaded electronic copies and used some translation software.

I think that Piko now supply rebadged microSX units to add sound to their locos, I've no experience of these but others on here may do.

If I had reason to use the Dietz units again then I would do so.

I've never used a Dietz driving decoder.

Sorry if this doesn't really help.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Dietz loco decoders are rebadged Uhlenbrock decoders, who used to supply Piko until they switched to Massoth. I have Dietz sound decoders and I am very pleased with them, but I have never used Dietz or Uhlenbrock loco decoders myself. Train Line might use them to get access to the Dietz sounds, which are arguably much better than Massoth.
Best,
Marc

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have one loco with Dietz sound, a Spreewald purchased second-hand with the decoder already fitted. Since I haven't opened her up to check, I'm not sure if the driving decoder is Dietz also. I know Brian at Glendale has done quite a few Dietz installations (including, I believe, my Spreewald for its original owner), you might ask him about them?

My Spreewald does sound VERY nice - at least as good as my Massoth-fitted sound locos, possibly better as Marc says above.

Jon.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I had one fitted in Capito . It wasn't designed to handle two motors and as such would not suplly full power.
Good sound though but won't work on analogue (the sound that is ). They may have changed that now.
There are / were no other sounds than electric motor, bell, whistle, in fact a bit of a let down.
At the moment I am happy with massoth XLS

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks to all for the quick responses. I hadn't heard either that Dietz=Uhlenbrock or that Piko are now using Massoth. Both very useful bits of info.

Next question - apart from the comments in previous postings, anyone got experience of the Uhlenbrock 77500 which is - I presume - what will go into the Train Line Mallet if Dietz=Uhlenbrock?