Denver & Rio Grande Caboose

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Other than the Bachmann Big Hauler boober caboose and the Toylike Lionel caboose has there been a more realistic caboose made for the D&RG? There are plenty in the later D&RGW livery but I'm looking to complete an old time train.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Is this NG or standard gauge and what scale ? I have the 1:20.3 AMS/Accucraft green DRG shortie caboose. Looks great and excellent detail but is it prototypicaly correct ? Take a look here - http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AM33-011%20SHORT%20CABOOSE.htm - the green one is down the bottom of the page. Despite the caption the legend on the cant rail is "Denver Rio Grande". Alternately could you not re-paint a stock caboose and re-decal. Pictures ? Max.
P.S. If you are after one they are still showing on the Accucraft E-Store. Perhaps a chat with Andrew at GRC (other retailers available) to get one over ?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Some of the D&RG bobber cabooses (cabeese?) where much like the Bachmann model with the sloping sided cuploa but the D&RG ones had the windows along the sides, one being centrally under the cupola.
Some were retrucked from 2 axle to twin double axled bogies and look much like the 4 axle short caboose that is available from Accucraft in 1:20.3 scale and from Piko (using the old MDC moulds) in 1:22.5 scale.

They also liked the long caboose idea and built a good few. The first ones where made out of box cars like the two  that were renumbered 04990 and 04343 when they were re-liveried with the D&RGW paintwork and are preserved today in rail museums. They later they built them from scratch and had rounded roofs as opposed to the peaked variety...

I have not found in my pretty extensive collection of Colorado Narrow Gauge reference books, any reference to them being painted the green that Accucraft used.
This not to say that this livery did not exist as there must have been a reason for Accucraft to use the colour in the first place.

D&RG bobber caboose.jpg

caboose 04343.jpg

caboose 04343 b.jpg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Some of the D&RG bobber cabooses (cabeese?)
Now that is brilliant - has to be Word Of The Day :happy:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
I have not found in my pretty extensive collection of Colorado Narrow Gauge reference books, any reference to them being painted the green that Accucraft used.
This not to say that this livery did not exist as there must have been a reason for Accucraft to use the colour in the first place.
#0579 lives at the Cumbres & Toltec. Why and whether it's still in that livery is another question. Still it looks great hanging off a Pullman green AMS J&S car pulled by one of Bachmann's Spectrum "Centenial" 2-6-0's. Max.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I looking for one to run with LGB and USAT rolling stock ideally better than the Bachmann as said before D&RG not D&RGW.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=funandtrains link=topic=300123.msg333642#msg333642 date=1416775268]
I looking for one to run with LGB and USAT rolling stock ideally better than the Bachmann as said before D&RG not D&RGW.
[/quote]

As explained in my last post Steve,
The Piko 4 axle one is 1:22.5, so fine in scale but will need relettering to D&RG
The 1:22.5 Bachmann bobber is pretty near to the D&RG 2 axle design with the slopping cupola (bar the missing central window on main body). It would also have to be relettered to D&RG.

Nearly all of the D&RG rolling stock was sold on or subsumed into D&RGW or to RGS or to C&S.

The reason why I posted photos of the long caboose was to show the design of the D&RG ones which were relettered to D&RGW. The USAT 1:24 or the Aristocraft 1:24 long caboose  D&RGW would be acceptable...if relettered into D&RG

There are no D&RG liveried cabooses, of the correct design, commercially available in 1:29 to 1:22.5 scale

PIKO 1:22.5
piko D&RGW short caboose.jpg

USAT 1:29
USAT long caboose.jpg

Aristo 1:29
Aristo long caboose.jpg

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Mike,
I know all the above, you are totally missing the point - I want to know if there was one produced in the correct livery as I don't have time or the space to repaint.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, sorry....
But as I said there is not a commercially available caboose in D&RG livery except for Acucraft`s 1:20.3 scale jobbie and the Bachmann bobber (which did come lettered for the D&RG) which is not what you want.

bachmann caboose D&RG.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good call Ross. Still it does leave the fact that Accucraft followed their wrong nose in issuing a green one!

AM33-016-01L.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
And it's a tasteful shade of green that has graced the metals of the Wild West Sussex Railroad and will shortly grace the tracks of the Wild West Norfolk Railroad as soon as I can lay 'em. :-\ :-\