Decoder identification

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg
I rebuilt the loco so no picture sorry, there could be a way of extending the pins with PCB male to female pin connectors (assuming the pins are long enough) but with this model the space between the floor of the cab and the decoder is small and the cab would almost certainly foul the decoder.

The ZIMO decoder has a cover of some sort which is exactly the same size as the LGB equivalent but the actual base is around 5 mm longer. The decoder fouls the two sockets shown below (with the original faulty LGB decoder). I did consider surgery but as I am not the owner I think it would be better to go with a new LGB replacement.

Robin

0.jpgIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0819.JPG

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Zimo board but I think you can snap off the ends of the pcb outside the two rows of pins. You can see the board is notched to allow you to do this. This is similar to some Massoth decoders. It shouldn't then foul the sockets.

Geoff

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Geoff

You are correct, the ZIMO board does have a break off strip and it will certainly fit the base board without fouling the sockets. Thanks for that tip, I hope I can stop the order for the new LGB decoder.

Robin

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
On your edge view pictures, you can actually see the "cut" part way throught the board ends to allow the mounting tabs to snap off.

My QSI decoders have the same thing, mounting tab "extensions" for mounting with screws and standoffs, or the extensions snap off when the decoder is secured by the socket and space is at a premium.

Those clever Austrians! (Zimo)

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
On your edge view pictures, you can actually see the "cut" part way throught the board ends to allow the mounting tabs to snap off.

My QSI decoders have the same thing, mounting tab "extensions" for mounting with screws and standoffs, or the extensions snap off when the decoder is secured by the socket and space is at a premium.

Those clever Austrians! (Zimo)

Greg
Greg always "fun" to follow some of the DCC conversations, so on the Zimo board, I assume the "mounting holes" would be removed.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, so in a socket, no mounting holes are needed, so you can just snap off the "extensions" which have mounting holes.

That makes the decoder identical in dimensions to the LGB unit. But the decoder could be mounted standalone if you wanted to use it in a loco that did not have the socket.

These are the QSI decoders that I often use, and you can snap off the mating holes/extensions... you cannot see, but there are also 2 rows of pins, designed to fit the Aristo and Bachmann sockets.

QSI_titan.JPG