December 2017

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's been so mild over the past couple of weeks, I was tempted to look back at what it was like in December 2017....

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Have you never heard of tempting fate? :)

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Another inspiring video. :clap::clap::clap:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Have you never heard of tempting fate? :)
Who knows? Given the current state of the planet we could easily go from the mildest winter on record to the coldest. My bets are on a continuing mild and wet spell. Thank goodness, we're not in Australia...... :eek:

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
One of the theories relating to global warming is that the Gulf Stream would cease dues to lack of convection and the northern hemisphere would suffer and ice age o_O

Snow ploughs at the ready :oops::oops::oops:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
One of the theories relating to global warming is that the Gulf Stream would cease dues to lack of convection and the northern hemisphere would suffer and ice age o_O

Snow ploughs at the ready :oops::oops::oops:
Let's hope to goodness that it is one prediction which is wrong. We are at the same latitudes as most of Canada so without the Gulf Stream our winters would be similar to theirs..... Brrr:speechless:!

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Let's hope to goodness that it is one prediction which is wrong. We are at the same latitudes as most of Canada so without the Gulf Stream our winters would be similar to theirs..... Brrr:speechless:!

Rik

I think sea-temperatures around our coast would help keep us warmer than Canada? - This even without the Gulf Stream.

I suppose it depends how other ocean currents would flow? - If generally clockwise (off our Western shores) we might be in real trouble!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
The latest research on this seems to indicate that we are ok for the next 1000 years at least, though there is a 15% chance there could be a temporary shut down of the Gulf Stream or North Atlantic Drift as it prefers to be known, in the next 100 years. I doubt I'll be around to see it.....
Weakening North Atlantic Drift could bring colder UK winters

Rik

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
And Vancouver has a lovely climate ;)