DCC Stainz

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
As I said, there are many variations, and if I was in the UK, I would consider the weatherproof ones. I would guess even in the UK, 3M is a big supplier.

what are choc-blocks? I'm keeping the goals of easy to install, no special tools, no soldering.....

Greg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As I said, there are many variations, and if I was in the UK, I would consider the weatherproof ones. I would guess even in the UK, 3M is a big supplier.

what are choc-blocks? I'm keeping the goals of easy to install, no special tools, no soldering.....

Greg
Greg
I think he was referring to a terminal strip.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
Choc blocks are two way electrical connectors with a screw connection; another name for them is terminal connectors. They come in various sizes. The link in my post shows a strip of choc blocks and you can cut off whatever number of connections you need. Here is a link showing how they are used: https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/articles/connectors-basics-of-terminal-blocks-and-types
They are called choc blocks (sometimes chocblocks) because originally they were made in brown plastic and so resembled a square of chocolate broken off a slb.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
1635490250108.png
Something like this may be useful, if not too expensive

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 291740
Something like this may be useful, if not too expensive
Wago, used for mains power, there are number of different ones, and smaller light ones are very good

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So a complete range... I'd wager my first suggestion is cheapest and easiest since you don't strip the wire... but the ones with screw terminals can be opened and closed multiple times.
True about not stripping the wire, I still have a few of these Scotch-locks about, both the choc-block and Wago can be reused, the Wago being a similar as the Scotch-lock as it is just a lever action for most, or a squeeze for the lighting ones.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like them all for different things. I personally like screw terminals, allows the step by step wiring technique I normally use and helps debugging.

The suitcase type of connectors are good for people who want to keep costs down, and have relatively few connections and don't want to solder.

The more sophisticated "clamp type" need stripped wires, and often just one wire per "hole" so if you are connecting multiple wires, you need like a "ganged" unit, where several are connected together, which now gets bulky. Also in my experience, they do not deal with with multiple gauges, often you have thin LED wires and heavier gauge "source" wires and the motor wires are another variation.

All depends on your comfort level and budget and to a certain extent available space.

Greg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Gentlemen. I have plenty of the terminal block strips which are probably the most compact.

I'm waiting for Chris Rennie to finish his development work on a Stainz locomotive.

Sarah

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
To GAP and Dunnyrail.

You both sent me the same thing but I'm still grateful. These would have been useful for previous projects.

Once I know what is involved in the battery and r/c conversion then I'll know if I can use these.

Regards,
Sarah

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You could always look at these, compact with a solder joint and easily installed using a heat gun.
I can see where these would be useful items to have on hand in certain circumstances. I'd be very reluctant to have a heat gun hot enough the melt the solder blowing anywhere near my loco chassis and body however!

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I can see where these would be useful items to have on hand in certain circumstances. I'd be very reluctant to have a heat gun hot enough the melt the solder blowing anywhere near my loco chassis and body however!

Phil with a directed nozzle, the heat dissipates quite quickly, and within an inch or so is only warm, i.e. won't burn skin.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A light touch with a soldering iron body not the tip should work for theses.