DCC Stainz

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
It is a while since I posted but here I am with another problem. I'm fairly sure my Stainz 2020 DCC used to operate with my Bachmann EZ controller. It has lain in a cupboard for a couple of years. Recently when trying to run it there is no sign of activity. The controller seems to be OK. that is the lights for power and locomotive selection light up and change when selecting a locomotive registration. I don't know whether there is power going to the track. How can I check this please? I understand there should be a constant AC voltage at the track. How can I verify this, please? Thanks

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
First HELLO! Welcome back, the thread you started still continues, we see your name every day and I wonder how you are doing.

So, a simple voltmeter set to measure "AC" can be used. It will not be accurate, but it will indicate power. You will want to see something maybe around 20 volts, but it can vary.

If you could find a 24 volt light bulb that would work (make the assumption that there is no more than 24 volts on the track). Alternatively you could solder two small 12 volt automotive bulbs (like are used for internal lights in the inside of a car) to make a "24 volt" bulb... solder them in series....

Of course if you don't see it on the rails, work your way backwards to the command station/booster.

Can you remind us of what system you are using? (make and model number)

Regards, Greg

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, is there an on/off switch in the loco cab in case it's not the power supply?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Not being sarcastic, Sarah, from experience when I wrote computer instructions I always started off with "Is the computer plugged in?" followed by "Is the socket turned on?" If these are both "Yes", check connections between the transformer and the controller if they are separate and between the controller and the track.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, is there an on/off switch in the loco cab in case it's not the power supply?
Thanks for your interest. Not in the 2020 locomotive. In my other Stainz's 20212, yes there is a switch but it is the 2020 locomotive I wish to battery drive. This situation is not unusual for me.

I'm going to risk dismantling the 2020. It has been dismantled by its previous owner because it has a decoder fitted. I'll rip all that out and simply connect the battery and the R/C.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah, Welcome back. I don't have anything to add except best wishes for your battery conversion.

Edit added: If you don't know/remember the DCC address you can try using an DC analog transformer if you just want check whether your Stainz runs. There is a good chance the decoder was setup to operate with analog track power in addition to DCC. It will not harm the loco or decoder to try. If the loco doesn't run this isn't definitive because it is possible the decoder was set for DCC only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah, you should find GE Riks blog a big help, though he has done this conversion using a Battery car I am sure he has subsequently done one with on board batteries.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Not being sarcastic, Sarah, from experience when I wrote computer instructions I always started off with "Is the computer plugged in?" followed by "Is the socket turned on?" If these are both "Yes", check connections between the transformer and the controller if they are separate and between the controller and the track.
You can be as sarcastic as you like, it makes no difference to me and I won't be offended by whatever contributors say. Yes, the Bachmann controller is plugged in. I have 3 lights showing, 1) to show power, 2) for forward and reverse 3) locomotive address and function buttons.
I've tried using a multi-meter but still no response from the wire from the controller to the track..
Hi Sarah, Welcome back. I don't have anything to add except best wishes for your battery conversion.

Edit added: If you don't know/remember the DCC address you can try using an DC analog transformer if you just want check whether your Stainz runs. There is a good chance the decoder was setup to operate with analog track power in addition to DCC. It will not harm the loco or decoder to try. If the loco doesn't run this isn't definitive because it is possible the decoder was set for DCC only.
Hi Phil.

Thank you. I'm going to experiment with my DC controller to see if anything happens. Nothing to lose now as I'm going to dismantle the locomotive anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sara, I have also converted a Stainz to RC battery and detailed on my blog:

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Sara, I have also converted a Stainz to RC battery and detailed on my blog:

Thank you. I have read your blog. It seems quite complicated. I'm going to wait on help from Locoremote.
Thanks for your interest.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy went to a lot of extra effort to add connectors to everything, and he has a balancing charger, thus the complexity.

I think you may be looking for a much simpler installation. How are your soldering skills?

Greg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy went to a lot of extra effort to add connectors to everything, and he has a balancing charger, thus the complexity.

I think you may be looking for a much simpler installation. How are your soldering skills?

Greg
Hello Greg.

Not the best I'm afraid. But please let me know what you are thinking. Thanks

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
You can be as sarcastic as you like, it makes no difference to me and I won't be offended by whatever contributors say. Yes, the Bachmann controller is plugged in. I have 3 lights showing, 1) to show power, 2) for forward and reverse 3) locomotive address and function buttons.
I've tried using a multi-meter but still no response from the wire from the controller to the track..

Hi Phil.

Thank you. I'm going to experiment with my DC controller to see if anything happens. Nothing to lose now as I'm going to dismantle the locomotive anyway.
Further to my previous posts. I have the locomotive running with my Gaugemaster series P controller. I'm told it should run using 4 x AA batteries? It's something I'm going to try today.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my previous posts. I have the locomotive running with my Gaugemaster series P controller. I'm told it should run using 4 x AA batteries? It's something I'm going to try today.
Confused, I thought you were going to convert it to battery power, are you saying it is already converted.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Confused, I thought you were going to convert it to battery power, are you saying it is already converted.
Sorry for my confusing you. No, the locomotive is not yet battery powered. I was referring to me trying the locomotive with some AA batteries I have to make sure what I have been told i.e. that the locomotive will move with just those batteries.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg. Yes, it does work but at a snails pace. You inferred when asking about my soldering skills there may be an easier conversion than that carried out by Jimmy B. Would you elucidate me, please?

Thank you

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not really meaning to state a specific path, but if this is helpful, I'm sure we can talk about how to avoid soldering, there are methods using "suitcase" connectors that you crimp on the wires with just regular pliers.

So if that is a helpful direction, we can explore alternatives, if you wish.

18-14GA_Scotchlock_804_IDC_Connector_31762_f.png

Basically the wire is placed in the connector body, and then by squeezing the connector closed, a v shaped blade comes down on the wire, cuts through the insulation and makes contact with the wire. There are many different styles, including waterproof. This picture is probably the most recognizable by many, but is not waterproof. This were pioneered by the 3M corporation, called "Scotch Lok" and are IDC, Insulation Displacement Connectors.

Last edited: