DCC Shuttle system with multiple routes.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, im planning a shuttle for my rack line im building. At the moment im working out the point change i have planned. i will probably ask for help with the DCC set up later using feedback modules.

Im planning on having 3 stations, 2 at lower level and one at the top of the climb.
The train will depart station 1 and when the train reaches station 2 it reverses down another line to station 3 and then back again in reverse.

I have set the timer on the massoth 8156001 so when it passes over a reed switch it changes to the correct line but it only last around 1 minute at maximum waiting time from what i can tell. I would like to leave the train on the top for over a minute
I have dabbles with multiple reed switches but make the point always point into one direction.
Any other ideas welcome.

Mountain_wire.jpg

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure how to implement this with DCC but I think you'll find away if you can understand my ramblings.
I solved a similar problem on analogue by considering two distinct requirements. One, deciding which way to switch the point i.e. point motor supply polarity, and two, when to actually change it.
In your case assume the default setting for a point setting relay is point straight and the sequence starts with a train leaving station 2. As it approaches the point it triggers the point motor direction relay, swapping supply polarity but not yet changing the point. As it approaches station one it triggers the the point motor changing it to curved. When the train reverses out of station one it passes over this trigger again but the point stays set to curved as the supply polarity remains unchanged. As the train approaches station three it passes a trigger that resets the point motor supply polarity to straight. However, as before, the point won't change until the train passes the trigger on the approach to station one when the point reverts to straight..

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you were using EPL a 53570 would be the thing for your delay. There must be a MTS equivalent or perhaps th obscure Massoth instructions are hiding a better delay option.
JonD

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
The Tam Valley DCC auto shuttle has the ability to do what you want. It issues DCC accessory commends at each end and these can be used to switch the point. Beavercreek of this forum has one of these working on his line.

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/trainshuttle.html

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure how to implement this with DCC but I think you'll find away if you can understand my ramblings.
I solved a similar problem on analogue by considering two distinct requirements. One, deciding which way to switch the point i.e. point motor supply polarity, and two, when to actually change it.
In your case assume the default setting for a point setting relay is point straight and the sequence starts with a train leaving station 2. As it approaches the point it triggers the point motor direction relay, swapping supply polarity but not yet changing the point. As it approaches station one it triggers the the point motor changing it to curved. When the train reverses out of station one it passes over this trigger again but the point stays set to curved as the supply polarity remains unchanged. As the train approaches station three it passes a trigger that resets the point motor supply polarity to straight. However, as before, the point won't change until the train passes the trigger on the approach to station one when the point reverts to straight..

hmmm, im tying to get my head around this.

Im not sure because im using DDC the polarity does not change? (excuses my little knowledge of electricity. ) all that happens when i run the magnet over the reed switches it either throws the point if the point is over the opposite direction or nothing if the point is set to the direction the reed switch is plugged into the Massoth unit.

What i really need is a reed switch that has both directions in that i can have at station 2 that swaps when direction when i move the magnet over it. Example the train enters station 2 from station 3 and at the point of stopping hits the reed and the points change. Then the train travels to station 1 stops and reverses back up to station 2 hits the reed switch and points change to station 3.

The LGB 17100 has 3 inputs but only the middle for power and the left do anything? and the instructions are useless.

DSC_2452.JPG DSC_2453.JPG

Thanks for the other suggestions, but im trying to keep this all on the same DDC set up so i can run manual trains on the rack line.

D

Deleted member 1986

The LGB 17100 has 3 inputs but only the middle for power and the left do anything? and the instructions are useless.
LGB17100.png

What i really need is a reed switch that has both directions in that i can have at station 2 that swaps when direction when i move the magnet over it. Example the train enters station 2 from station 3 and at the point of stopping hits the reed and the points change. Then the train travels to station 1 stops and reverses back up to station 2 hits the reed switch and points change to station 3.

http://www.massoth.com/en/produkte/8170001.en.php

http://wiki.massoth.de/images/e/ea/991026_BDA_8170001.pdf

Automatic.PNG

Automatic 1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: