DCC manufacturer/model recommendations

Bryan Thatcher

Registered
21 Dec 2016
Raleigh, NC
Best answers
I've done some research and I'm curious what you're using and why. Are some brands easier to set up? More reliable? Better documentation? One thing I would like to find is a system with a very basic wireless throttle, something a child could use, literally. Also one that could run an analog engine before being fitted with a decoder.

One spicific question I have about DCC systems in general is if the track is fully powered at all times, are there any additional safety concerns having a child use the layout? Thanks.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Safety - none. Its only about 20V
Child use - some controllers have child locks on them that restricts access to anything likely to cause hassle. I am not aware of an extremely basic child's controller but my 3 year old grand daughter uses my Massoth Navigator with ease.
Set up - basic set up is similar and pretty easy. Learning the peculiarities of the system is something you will have to do but that's half the fun.
LGB used to specifically state that you can run their trains without a decoder. Piko state that a decoder should be fitted before use on DCC. The difference is the quality of the motor. I often run my new (LGB) locos before the decoder gets fitted but I would not do it in the long term. I would not run other makes. The vibrations set up must eventually wear even the best of motors (They hum on DCC). I know the old LGB3 and the Massoth system run analogue - not sure which other ones do - not all do.
Can't say on reliability but it seems fairly rare that we hear of someones blowing up.
As for the best - that's easy - its the one I use of course, and every DCC user will say the same!

Best advice I can give is find a mate or club with one and have a play. Reading the blurb from the manufacturers is total crap - they only tell you what you want to hear. If you get anywhere near the capacity of most units I seriously want to see your layout, and your bank balance!

Finally, the resale value seems to hold up well, so buying secondhand, whilst still not cheap, does mean you can trade up without too much wallet damage. Just get a system suitable for large scale use.

Why do I use Massoth, Several of my my running mates use it.

DSC02394 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Bryan

I use an NCE PowerPro 10 amp system (US made). I bought it at a show several years ago as the trader was right next to my layout and we had a good chat about various systems. Very pleased with it, it's been around for many years and is "proven". I believe NCE systems are popular with club layouts in the US?

I find the full spec cab/throttle easy to use and comfortable in the hand. They also do a simple throttle that would be suitable for a child (though kids usually get the hang of things quickly), and I believe that the simple style is also available as wireless (the full spec throttle certainly is). I've not used the wireless capabilities as originally it wasn't a legal frequency here in the UK (that may have changed now).

PowerPro system can interface with the free JMRI software for decoder programming and layout control if you want to go down that route in the future. If you're "old-school" and like a real physical control panel with push-buttons for points then NCE make a MiniPanel module that can handle that sort of thing (that kind of module seems missing from some other brands of system)

I've also got one an NCE PowerCab unit as a "starter" system I use for my lad's small scale narrow-gauge layout. The PowerCab can be plugged in and used with the PowerPro as another throttle. We can run a G scale loco on the PowerCab (though it's not at the full 18V track voltage).

NCE systems DO NOT support running an un-chipped loco, but in my opinion that's a good thing. Keep a DC power-pack for that.

In my opinion you don't need to worry about the track voltage and children. For large scale it'll be between 18-24V depending on the DCC system, you can touch it safely. If you had wet hands you might feel a slight tingle but that's all.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
NCE has a full line of throttles, so you can have the fancy one:
235508068.jpg

But you can give an easier to use one to the kids:
236394140.jpg

Another thing about NCE, is you can limit what a particular throttle can do, like change loco numbers, etc.

Greg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I've done some research and I'm curious what you're using and why. ... Also one that could run an analog engine before being fitted with a decoder.
Don't run non decoder fitted locos with a DCC controller. It works (using address 0) but it works in the same way that a brick can fly if you throw it hard enough and don't mind the damage it does on landing. If like many people you started with a starter set, that would contain a basic analog DC controller. Connect that to a test track or have your main track switchable between DC and DCC using a 5A or 10A rated DPDT switch. You can configure most decoders to run using analog DC.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Once a child can 'drive' the Sky box (insert cable/satellite provider's name) they will run rings round you with the controller in about two weeks!
Test an unchipped loco, if you must and manufacturer of loco and DCC say it is OK, then fit a chip.

Any of the brands will be fine..

See what your local group, or other local large-scale modellers use.. See if there is a 'guru' they all ask.. Visit and ask questions..

Then probably buy that brand, as you have local expertise, and a base of users to buy/sell from in the future.

Bryan Thatcher

Registered
21 Dec 2016
Raleigh, NC
Best answers
Agreed about not running an engine on a DCC track without a decoder. One article I read said some DCC systems have that feature. Sounded convenient at the time. I like NCE, but the website is lacking. From what I can tell the power is separate and it takes converted DC input of whatever amperage the system is. Is that correct? I cannot find any groups in my area. One is listed on the NCE site, but no link. I'll check the board next time I get to a shop. There is very little G scale anything available locally. Thank you!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The components of a DCC system are the power supply, the booster, the command station and a throttle.

Sometimes the booster and power supply are combined in one box from the manufacturer

In the NCE 5 amp system the booster and command station are in the same box.

In the 10 amp system they are separate.

Take a look at my NCE pages on my site.

Greg (hint the search function works)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Take a look at my NCE pages on my site.
@Greg: just out of interest, what triggered you to make the jump from NCE to Zimo? More power? More features?
I remember you being a long-time NCE proponent on other forums back when I was reading up on the various systems.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted a full 24v on the rails, and more amps. Main reasons for changing. I would have liked to keep the simplicity and much more user friendly interface of the NCE, but I can learn the Zimo. It's not for everyone, but for people who want everything, it is indeed the system.

My observations and migration from NCE to Zimo is here, and then of course my Zimo pages under DCC tell a lot more about the Zimo system, also I have a Yahoo forum on Zimo.
http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=322&Itemid=360

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm using LGB MTS, with both 55015 and 55016 handsets. I also have the software for optional PC control.

Old school stuff, but it works for me....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have an old rotary dial phone too, but my expectations are now higher. ;-)

I do advanced consisting, have sound in all locos, run distributed power, run my pneumatic switch machines from DCC decoders, etc.

Greg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nowt much wrong with the old LGB3 Gizzy. The 2 is showing its age but the 3 still ticks most of the boxes.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nowt much wrong with the old LGB3 Gizzy. The 2 is showing its age but the 3 still ticks most of the boxes.
Very much like me on both counts....:D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, an analogue phone (rotary, pulse-dial, or push-button) STILL works when the power goes off! - DECT handsets do not!!

My business phone (VoIP) still works, as it, the router etc. and OpenBreach's cabinets all have UPS backup..
I can run 2-3hrs before the batteries are low enough for the system to shutdown..

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
My personal way was to stay with one manufacturer. The first LGB MTS was Lenz Elektronik with 55020. Then came MTS with 55021 this was made by Massoth and when I changed to DCC I have progressed through MTS 2 and 3 then on to Massoth 1210Z all with Massoth LGB or Massoth decoders and have in all these years have had no problem with programming or running. Fellow members will tell you to diversify, that is your choice but it is a lot easier to learn one system.

MyMiniatureWorlds

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
31 May 2015
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Once a child can 'drive' the Sky box (insert cable/satellite provider's name) they will run rings round you with the controller in about two weeks!

TWO WEEKS! Two hours more like :D