CV64 value for LGB 65000 sound unit

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I've acquired, via ebay, a 65000 steam sound unit, which came with a Rügens loco attached to it. I'm having to do some repairs, so I've been looking through the booklet for the sound unit, and I'm puzzled by CV64.

It says that you can program for different wheel diameters, and for the number of magnets, but then makes no mention of how. Does anyone know what any of the values or ranges of values relate to in this CV?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Tricky! As you say the instructions don't give any detail. The only other reference I can find is along the lines of "see instructions for 65010" which it seems was never made?!

Maybe try asking Massoth, or perhaps time for some trial and error experimentation?

I wonder if the support for different wheel diameters would be for adjusting the "auto-chuff" rate related to speed steps, when there is no wheel sensor? Given that the default value is 82 and I assume this would be with the "auto-chuff" active, it wouldn't surprise me if the value breaks down into individual bits of info, similar to CV29.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, yes, I hadn't though of emailing Massoth. As they make a wheel sensor, that might be a supplementary question as well.

Thanks for that.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've messed with CV 64 via an LGB 55045 programming module on several of my mates 6500x sound units.
If you don't have any luck elsewhere I should be able to hook one up and read out the actual CV value that corresponds with the wheel diameter ratio and number of magnets you have. I'll then let you know what value it is.
As understand it the wheel ratio adjustment may be used if the sound trigger is on a trailing car with different sized wheels to the loco's driving wheels.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Neil. I've seen a comment to that effect somewhere. It's all conjecture, though. I don't understand why you'd put a wheel sensor (that it seems LGB never made) on another vehicle. It just seems overcomplicated. i'll see if I can get something from the horse's mouth.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
"I don't understand why you'd put a wheel sensor (that it seems LGB never made) on another vehicle."

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The logic with that is you could fit the unit in a trailing van behind small locos that didn't have room for the fairly large 6500x unit. Also you could use it behind several locos, not unreasonable if you had more locos than you could run simultaneously.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]In the pre 2006 collapse times the sensor was available as a spare part even though the 65010 wasn't released.
[/font]

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Fair points, Paul. Yes, I've had several LGB locos with wheel sensors, so a bad choice of words on my part.

I've emailed Massoth now, so hopefully I'll get the full gen and I'll report back here.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I've had a reply from Peter at Massoth. Broadly, it says no more than LGB's instructions. So it's out with the rolling road and programming unit.