CV changing a Massoth Pulsed Smoker

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Loco fitted with a Massoth Pulsed Smoker, eMotion Pulse Generator and a eMotion L decoder, how do I change CV's on the Pulsed Smoke generator ? I can talk to the eMotion L OK, and change CV's but disconnect the eMotion L and try to find the Smoke generator nothing happens.

Is this possible with a Sprog and DecoderPro or am I stuck with address 3 ? and not setting / adjusting the smoker, was hoping to get that bit setup before I move on to the next bit.

The next bit is adding either a Uhlenbrock Sound Module Intellisound 4 via SUSI or a Dietz Micro X3 Sound module via SUSI so no doubt this will get harder to setup :) but the sound modules are about have the price of Massoths so in theory I could add sound to two locos for the same amount as one Massoth, all my seven Locos have a massoth L fitted.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Is the smoke unit one of the latest digital ones (i.e.
841350)? I take it it is connected to the track directly?

Do you know the firmware version of the L decoder? If it is 2.8 or later (2.9) then you can use the programming lock feature.

To use the programming lock (Massoth decoders only here)....on the programming track....

Set CV 15 to 132 in order to unlock the L decoder and lock the Smoke unit....you can set (and read) CVs in the L decoder without affecting any in the Smoke unit.
Set CV 15 to 169 in order to unlock the Smoke Unit and lock the L decoder...you can set (and read) CVs in the smoke unit without affecting any in the L decoder.

Once you have done, set CV15 to 0 to lock both L & Smoke unit. You will then need to set CV again to one of the above values if you wish to read or write any CVs in the relevant unit.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is the smoke unit one of the latest digital ones (i.e.
841350)? I take it it is connected to the track directly?

Do you know the firmware version of the L decoder? If it is 2.8 or later (2.9) then you can use the programming lock feature.

To use the programming lock (Massoth decoders only here)....on the programming track....

Set CV 15 to 132 in order to unlock the L decoder and lock the Smoke unit....you can set (and read) CVs in the L decoder without affecting any in the Smoke unit.
Set CV 15 to 169 in order to unlock the Smoke Unit and lock the L decoder...you can set (and read) CVs in the smoke unit without affecting any in the L decoder.

Once you have done, set CV15 to 0 to lock both L & Smoke unit. You will then need to set CV again to one of the above values if you wish to read or write any CVs in the relevant unit.

The Smoke unit is a 8415001 a digital one and connected to the track power direct, not sure what the firmware version is in this particular decoder but it's only a couple of weeks old supplied by you :) but will check tomorrow and try what you have suggested thanks, Too bushed today to have a go been hedge cutting most of the afternoon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, if it is that new then the L will be 2.9 :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I assume I change CV15 with both decoders connected to track power at once ?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Correct.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
That was fun :D I put Loco on programming track and told the software to identify it which it did with the little shuffle. it says software version 29, so all good, so I set CV 15 to 169 and told it to write CV, I wanted to change the address of the Smoke unit first. I assume it did it but it didn't do the little shuffle. so told it to change CV1 to 99 , no little shuffle on the track like normal so I assume it didn't change it. so I tried changing CV 15 back to 132 to unlock the emotion, again no little shuffle on the track. So I tried the software to identify the Loco again and it can't / doesn't find anything. So tried another Loco to make sure the Sprog was working and told the software to identify new loco and it did. Tried the one with the emotion and smoke unit again and it can not find it to write a CV to it. I tried loco on main track to test it was still working and it still responds too the original address of 3. now it seems to be locked and won't let the Sprog talk to it ? :rofl:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
giphy.gif

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So SPROG is saying: Sorry Massoth, don't understand your banter?

Programming lock changes do not necessarily give a confirmation back to your system. Leading you to think 'nothing has changed'.

Can you read all the CV's on either device? - One (or other) may have had its' locking CV value altered?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can not read any CV's on either device in that loco since I told it to change CV15 to 169. The SPROG / DecoderPro software says there is nothing on the track, it doesn't see the decoders now.

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I disconnected the Pulsed Smoke unit and just connected the Massoth L to try, but can not read any CV's at all, still the same with both the Smoke unit and the Massoth connected cannot read any CV's, I know they both still work because if I run it on the main track they respond as they should do, it will only respond to address 3 and nothing else which is the address it is set to . If I tell it to chance CV 15 to either 132 or 169 it comes back and says O.K. but I cannot read CV 15 or any CV to find out if it really has changed it.

Any ideas ?? is there anyway to reset the Massoth L ? is there another open CV in it that will reset the lock ?

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth L Decoder: CV7=16 Reset Lock

Thanks that one unlocked it :clap: :clap: , so back to where I started now , I can talk to it again, but still don't know how I am going to change CV's on the smoke unit, first and last one fitted I think :)

CV 15 and 16 both read 130 now on the e Motion L

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Done it at last by doing the following

CV15 set to 0 so L decoder locked
CV8 set to 16 Resets the smoke unit so its cv15 / cv16 both read 162 so unlocked.
Made the changes to the smoke unit I wanted to make, Smoke on/off function key and Blow out Function Key then changed its address to 99.

Shame both decoders use CV 15 to lock / unlock, this is where a switch would come in handy to talk to a specific decoder, I changed CV15 to 0 so the smoke unit is now locked.as CV15 and CV16 are different values.

CV7 to 16 resets the Lock on the L decoder so it's now unlocked and the smoke unit is still locked.
Made changes to the L decoder I wanted to make, lights set now for 5v rather than full track power and then changed it's address to 99.

Tested on main track using the Navi........ and it all works thanks :clap::clap:

Uhlenbrock Sound Module Intellisound 4 via SUSI next when it flys in :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Sid, that is all very useful - maybe this thread, with your eventual success, should be "pinned" somewhere for future reference...?

I agree that it would make much more sense if supplementary decoders (smoke units, sound modules and accessory decoders) that are commonly used in addition to a driving decoder each used a different pair of CVs for their locking function, so that each could be unlocked independently for programming, which would have avoided much of the complication you've just struggled through!

Glad to hear you've got it all to work at last, anyway.

Jon.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I agree that it would make much more sense if supplementary decoders (smoke units, sound modules and accessory decoders) that are commonly used in addition to a driving decoder each used a different pair of CVs for their locking function, so that each could be unlocked independently for programming, which would have avoided much of the complication you've just struggled through!

WHY?

A decoder is only unlocked when BOTH CV's 15 and 16 are the same value.
You can set CV15 to the unlock value of the decoder you wish to work-on. - This may, or may not, also change the value in the second decoder, but as long as CV15 does not have the same value as CV16, then the second decoder is still locked.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
WHY?

A decoder is only unlocked when BOTH CV's 15 and 16 are the same value.
You can set CV15 to the unlock value of the decoder you wish to work-on. - This may, or may not, also change the value in the second decoder, but as long as CV15 does not have the same value as CV16, then the second decoder is still locked.

OK Phil, that makes sense.... but then I'm not sure I follow why Sid was having so much difficulty with his? Was it because both the decoders had the same default unlock value, so that is what needs to be changed before you start?

Jon.