Cutting track

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Geoff the garden nav - 3/12/2009 7:57 PM

In the days of the building of the US transcontinental RR and pionnering Railroads in the the "New World" they did cut wrot iron track with sledge hammers and a specal cold chisel with a handle like a spliting axe, not so good with brass code 332 or code 250 G scale track?

Brass deforms too much, and it means that you struggle to slide the fishplates on :eek: :eek:

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
It sounds as though you have tried it! I stick to a junior hacksaw!

Rookwood Central

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Queensland, Australia.
Best answers
Better than a Hackdsaw, use a Razor Saw from a Hobby Shop, gives a very clean cut, no filing needed after sawing. :wave:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Geoff the garden nav - 3/12/2009 10:54 PM

It sounds as though you have tried it! I stick to a junior hacksaw!

Not in G scale :eek:, but in my youth I use to do N guage with wire cutters, and then tidy it up with a file :cool:

probably'cos I'd broken the hacksaw blade and didn't want to spend money on a new one. if you spend money on tools, there's less to spend on trains ;)

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
...but..fun aside (just for a moment):

While using connector-plates, not clips, its a big advantage because changing the layout can be done without pulling out everything.
But cutting --say 10mm-- of a track to fit in a new switch (all we want to build in is 10mm too long or 10mm too short) is a problem with the "inbuilt"-tracks
While cutting can be solved somwhow, doing new holes for the plates is an even bigger problem.

Is there any good solution out there ? (beside taking out the tracks..... :D )

Frank