G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is how a local Sugar Mill gets its cane trains across Queensland Railways main North-South line without all that mucking around with crossing trackage.

Starts at 8:31.

Of note is the end of the catch point moving rail.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So all this extra mucking around (complexity) was to not have a crossing in the main line? Must be, a lot of extra work and maintenance. What is the max speed on the main line?
Yes but so, so much more fun to do it like that

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but so, so much more fun to do it like that

Except that while the train was waiting for the crossing to lower, someone pinched the load of sugar cane.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Except that while the train was waiting for the crossing to lower, someone pinched the load of sugar cane.
Sweet Dreams are Made of This

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now build a model one >:)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, but it seems to be awfully complex and I would have thought needs more maintenance than a conventional crossover.

The Welsh Highland Railway (1ft 11.5 in gauge) crosses Network Rail (standard Gauge) just outside of Portmadoc on a flat crossing....

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Must be, a lot of extra work and maintenance.
Interesting, but it seems to be awfully complex and I would have thought needs more maintenance than a conventional crossover.
I think it has to be remembered that the narrow gauge operations are mainly seasonal so for a lot of the year the crossing sees minimal use. A conventional crossing would be used every time a main line train passed. As it is, the main line is not affected and plain line is *always* easier to maintain than a crossing of any kind. There is also the question of flangeways and the rail end hammering that occurs when a train passes over on either line, so leading to more wear and tear. The signalling arrangements would be pretty much the same either with the current arrangement or with a conventional crossing.
The Welsh Highland Railway (1ft 11.5 in gauge) crosses Network Rail (standard Gauge) just outside of Portmadoc on a flat crossing....
Indeed it does, about three miles from where I type this. Both routes have minimal traffic and the crossing is subject to speed restrictions on both routes due to the flangeway hammering described above and its location.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Whenever I see cane railways it reminds me of my summer in Fiji in '74 as a 12yo lad. We made a few trips on the free passenger train, and I can remember climbing around on a plinthed steam loco.

I've always had it in mind to model a cane railway but never quite got round to it.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The number of cars in that train seemed to be over 100, pretty impressive.

The cars are known as 'cane bins' and are usually 4 wheel and un-braked holding between 4 and 6 ton of cane each, there are some mills that use bogie mounted bins that hold around 10 ton each.
Most trains are speed limited to 40Km/Hr and are 2Ft gauge.

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Two mills in the Ingham area, Victoria and Mackinade. The cane harvest will be starting soon, so lots of trains locally.
They send the sugar to the short Lucinda wharf, 6 kilometres long.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Two mills in the Ingham area, Victoria and Mackinade. The cane harvest will be starting soon, so lots of trains locally.
They send the sugar to the short Lucinda wharf, 6 kilometres long.

Same here in Bundy except no wharf, the molasses gets sent to the rum distillery.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Whenever I see cane railways it reminds me of my summer in Fiji in '74 as a 12yo lad. We made a few trips on the free passenger train, and I can remember climbing around on a plinthed steam loco.

I've always had it in mind to model a cane railway but never quite got round to it.

Someone on here has such a layout.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Someone on here has such a layout.

I am incorporating the sugar cane industry into my new layout.
I have lived smack bang in sugar country for a large part of my life so have heaps of inspiration both current and old memories.