DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I saw a wee LGB crane last weekend for sale and wondered if anyone knew of a similar crane working on a tramway, preferable European, I appreciate it would probably need a few tweaks which doesn't scare me but I can't find any pictures of a prototype to base a model on working on a tramway system.

Attachments

• 20221113_145523.jpg
    20221113_145523.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 0

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have never seen a prototype for this Matra crane, despite searching the web for one.

I would invoke RULE 8....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I saw a wee LGB crane last weekend for sale and wondered if anyone knew of a similar crane working on a tramway, preferable European, I appreciate it would probably need a few tweaks which doesn't scare me but I can't find any pictures of a prototype to base a model on working on a tramway system.
I would imagine that because tram systems usually have roadway alongside the usual method is to bring up a lorry-mounted crane. However, there is this site which might help:

and remember, it is your tram system so you can adopt a world leading approach if you wish, i.e. do what suits you.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thus far this is about as good as I can find, the crane complete with pole and presumably an electric motor used to unload sand and gravel prior to being taken to filter beds at Headingley near Leeds. A bit of an oldie but proves the concept if you will. To the best of my knowledge all the current modern tramways as has been said tend to use trucks predominantly for engineering work. But previous systems had a mix on engineers vehicles, trams and trucks so never say never till you know for sure!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thus far this is about as good as I can find, the crane complete with pole and presumably an electric motor used to unload sand and gravel prior to being taken to filter beds at Headingley near Leeds. A bit of an oldie but proves the concept if you will. To the best of my knowledge all the current modern tramways as has been said tend to use trucks predominantly for engineering work. But previous systems had a mix on engineers vehicles, trams and trucks so never say never till you know for sure!
Is their a photo missing from your post?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably the operator would need to very careful of the overhead power lines

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
In general, rail mounted cranes and overhead contact wire are not a great combination.

Most electric tramway rail-mounted cranes tended to be some variation if a pillar crane, which had a fixed arm which could only swing horizontally, out rather than a jib crane where the arm can swing both horizontally and vertically..

99D601FD-8FC0-43BC-A427-4F4CA9910A4D.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If you hunt through Google you will find pictures of the Blackpool crane wagon. An old tram chassis with what looks like a hyab in the middle.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Leeds Tramway Crane (1).jpg

Leeds Tramway Crane (2).jpg
Leeds again. When I was at school, we were always told "Leeds leads" - and it generally did!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
In general, rail mounted cranes and overhead contact wire are not a great combination.

Most electric tramway rail-mounted cranes tended to be some variation if a pillar crane, which had a fixed arm which could only swing horizontally, out rather than a jib crane where the arm can swing both horizontally and vertically..

View attachment 306761
Going slightly off topic on my on thread, well I never, what ever next.

While this is a photo of an interesting vehicle, of more interest is the overhead wire, very few tram systems use a catenary and contact wire unless their is a large span between poles/vertical supports, but its the contact/catenary wire support arm that I've never seen the likes of before, definitely an unusual arrangement.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I imagine that while the crane was in use, there would be no power to the overhead wires and so no danger if the jib touched them.